Ray Peat Ideas Are Everywhere!

Oraganic4me

I am not a scientist and I don’t play one on TV. I am trying to find answers to my health problems. Google search introduced me to the work of Ray Peat. I read and listened to him. A lot of things he says make sense and a lot just sound crazy to me. I continually look to other health experts to maybe give me some clues...
today I was listening to the Drive by Peter Attia and he had this doctor on , this guy mentioned a few things that I heard Ray Peat talk about like maybe excess glucose might be a good thing for fighting Cancer and the other point that blew my mind was towards the end Peter Attia asked this doctor “what would be your dream study?”
He said studying how “thin air” can cure chronic illness. I can’t remember exactly how he said it but I think he was referring to altitude of 6,000 feet.
Do you guys think that bag breathing is a benefit to chronic illness like Ray says?
I’m confused... I wish I understood science lingo..
If anyone else listened to it can you tell me if that is what he means?
‎The Peter Attia Drive: #66 - Vamsi Mootha, M.D.: Aging, type 2 diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease – do all roads lead to mitochondria? on Apple Podcasts

Lejeboca

I am not a scientist and I don’t play one on TV. I am trying to find answers to my health problems. Google search introduced me to the work of Ray Peat. I read and listened to him. A lot of things he says make sense and a lot just sound crazy to me. I continually look to other health experts to maybe give me some clues...
today I was listening to the Drive by Peter Attia and he had this doctor on , this guy mentioned a few things that I heard Ray Peat talk about like maybe excess glucose might be a good thing for fighting Cancer and the other point that blew my mind was towards the end Peter Attia asked this doctor “what would be your dream study?”
He said studying how “thin air” can cure chronic illness. I can’t remember exactly how he said it but I think he was referring to altitude of 6,000 feet.
Do you guys think that bag breathing is a benefit to chronic illness like Ray says?
I’m confused... I wish I understood science lingo..
If anyone else listened to it can you tell me if that is what he means?
‎The Peter Attia Drive: #66 - Vamsi Mootha, M.D.: Aging, type 2 diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease – do all roads lead to mitochondria? on Apple Podcasts

Thanks for the link. I will listen to this (I am trying to "decipher" mitochondrion respiration too).
I think that Ray Peat advocates for bag breathing for those who live on low altitudes (to treat chronic illnesses a few times per day for a few minutes each time) and as emergency measure in acute conditions (bad headache, accident, etc.).
So it seems that Ray is in agreement with this doctor from the podcast if by "thin air" the latter meant "low oxygen" environment at altitude.

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

Thanks for the link. I will listen to this (I am trying to "decipher" mitochondrion respiration too).
I think that Ray Peat advocates for bag breathing for those who live on low altitudes (to treat chronic illnesses a few times per day for a few minutes each time) and as emergency measure in acute conditions (bad headache, accident, etc.).
So it seems that Ray is in agreement with this doctor from the podcast if by "thin air" the latter meant "low oxygen" environment at altitude.

That sounds fantastic... may I ask if you can share your thoughts with me on any ideas you take away or found interesting. Thank you

nbznj

Unfortunately Attia is another foolish proponent of those low carb high protein diets that will destroy more western people than ever before. At least the Atkins diet was downright ridiculous and had little science backing it up. Those guys act like they DO have science backing up their claims, but it’s utter junk science they resort to.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0024320587900865?via=ihub

High carb/protein ratio = high testosterone/Cortisol ratio = optimal hormones, within a matter of weeks. That’s a good start.

tara

I think Peat's point with bag-breathing is not to lower oxygen, but to gradually raise CO2 levels a little. Part of the effect of this would be to improve oxygen delivery.