Ray Peat Ice Cream Recipe

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
"I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary."
--Ray Peat

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Here is another ice cream recipe I found online that I am going to try.

4 eggs (seperated)

1/2 pint cream

1/2 cup sugar or honey

vanilla essence

Beat cream until very thick.

In another bowl beat egg yolks, sugar/honey & vanilla until pale &

thick - then mix with the cream.

In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff, fold with cream mixture &

freeze.

juanitacarlos

Charlie said:
"I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary."
--Ray Peat

I made this - it was sensational! Thanks for posting Charlie. :D

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rockout

Dutchie

Would love to make my own (probiotic) hopefully delicious icecream,as Haagen Dasz isn't for sale in the neighborhood.
I can't get powdered milk or cream,so I was wondering if I can substitute the cream or milk with buttermilk,coconutmilk or kefir?

AnnaO

Anyone tried making Peat´s ice cream with coconut milk and no egg?

Dutchie

AnnaO said:
Anyone tried making Peat´s ice cream with coconut milk and no egg?

Don't know about coconutmilk but think it'll be possible,I did stumble upon this recipe however:

half small banana, 2 2 tablespoons coconutbutter/cream (not sure if she means 2 or 22),1 tblspoon sugar and cinnamon to taste. Blend it all to a smooth consistency,transfer to a tray and put in fridge till it hardens.
I imagine you could leave out or substitute banana for other fruit,I guess

Beebop

Blackcurrant Ice Cream (with added gelatine)
After asking questions about berries in another thread, last night I made blackcurrant icecream and it's SERIOUSLY delicious.
Using Ray Peat's ice cream recipe minus the powdered milk, plus:

250g frozen blackcurrants
225g sugar
A bit of water to wet the pan
Cook for 40 mins, strain through sieve.

(The strained berries made a lovely gummy jam on their own.)

Add berry jam to ice cream mix,
Also add gelatine: enough to set 570ml/1 pint of liquid.

Ice cream is bright purple, delicious, with a heavenly texture :claporange

n.b. when cooking sugar, wait until all the sugar is dissolved before bringing to the boil.

Dutchie

I know there are a lot op peatarians who like haagen dasz vanilla,but saw today at their site tat. It contains transfats.....is that true?i wonder from what seeing the ingredients

montmorency

Charlie said:
Here is another ice cream recipe I found online that I am going to try.

4 eggs (seperated)

1/2 pint cream

1/2 cup sugar or honey

vanilla essence

freeze.

I like the relative simplicity of this (in comparison to another recipe I was using that called for the cream to be heated, so it means you need to leave it to cool, and/or mess around with ice baths before you can put it in to freeze). I also like the fact that it makes use of the whites.

I have a batch using the above recipe freezing away now.

(I couldn't get the whites to stiffen though - possibly contaminated with yolk? - I don't know if that will hurt the ice-cream, but it's another reason why I would be terrible at making meringue).

My egg separation skills leave something to be desired - I used the funnel technique. I suppose if I start making ice-cream on a regular basis, it might be worth investing in one of those egg separator gadgets.

EDIT:

egg white stiffening tips

I was beating by hand which perhaps didn't help, and perhaps it was yolk contamination that was a problem.

EDIT2:

stiffen egg whites by hand

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
To separate white, I crack the egg, then juggle the yolk back and forth between the 2 shells. The white peels right off.

montmorency

Charlie said:
To separate white, I crack the egg, then juggle the yolk back and forth between the 2 shells. The white peels right off.

That looks great when other people do it.... :):
But I am the original Mr Clumsy....

Will give it a try next time though.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rolling

I do it every morning now so I guess I got practice. I think after doing it a few times you will get the hang of it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

stbarnes09

4 eggs (seperated)

1/2 pint cream

1/2 cup sugar or honey

vanilla essence

freeze.

I made this recipe tonight, it was definitely the best recipe! I made a quadruple batch, but used 12 eggs, not 16, just because I didn't want to use up all my eggs. I was wondering about adding gelatin to it. Has anyone ever done that?

jaguar43

Charlie said:
--Ray Peat

What does it mean to warm ?

jaguar43

Charlie said:
--Ray Peat

How do you warm the blended egg and sugar ? on a pan ?