Ray Peat Forum Will Be Switching Themes

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Forum members, we have been running the "Absolution" theme up until this point. Although it's a really good looking theme. It has been causing me major hassle and headaches because it is a custom theme. Being that it's a custom theme, anytime I go to install a modification it requires extra coding. Sometimes I am able to do the coding myself, but at others, I have to bring someone in and at a cost.

So from this point forward, we are going to switch over to the "Prosilver" theme. It's definitely quite a change, but I think once everyone is able to get use to it they will realize that it is a more useful theme. The print feature will now be available at the top of threads, this was not available on the "Absolution" theme. Requested modifications will be extremely easy for me to install now, sometimes with just a simple click of a button. This will take a huge amount of stress off me because anytime I have to mess with the "Absolution" theme it's been a huge endeavor. We will be introducing a "thumbs up or thumbs down" feature in the very near future. Along with many others.

If you notice the "PHPBB Creating Communites" banner at the top. In the next few days I will be replacing that with a custom banner.

Within the next couple of days I will be scheduling a downtime on the forum to do some cleanup and speed things up. I do not think it will last more then 30 minutes though.

I appreciate everyone's patience as we make this changeover. Many thanks.

4peatssake

Thank you Charlie for all your tremendous work and effort on behalf of all of us.
This will be an exciting change for us and it is important that it makes your work easier.
I've used prosilver for the last couple of days and I am already noticing some things that I really like - for instance the positioning of notices for a PM and quickly being able to link to it, right at the top of the page.

Thanks again for all you do for us! :hattip

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You are most welcome. I am already having a huge sigh of relief knowing I wont have to struggle with the Absolution theme.

Yes, the notification of PM is another bonus of Prosilver. With the Abolustion theme it was hard to notice when you had a PM. And it was also hard to get to your PM box. That was totally annoying.

Now that I can install any modification I am going to make sure we have all the bells and whistles! :dancenanner

4peatssake

:woo

Dutchie

An unrelated possibly stupid question,but I tried to PM someone and it shows the message in the Outbox but can't see it in the Sent messages folder. Does that mean it's not been sent to that person? and if so,how can I sent it?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It means the person did not open the PM yet. Once they open it, it will go to the sent folder.

4peatssake

j. said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! My eyes hurt!
Here you go j :P
dramatics-non-fitover.jpg

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! My eyes hurt!

Might want to see a doctor for that j. :mrgreen:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
J for now I will leave the Absolution theme up and you can use it if you want. You can switch to it in your "user control panel". However, I will not be offering any support for it, and there will be a lot of modifications that I will be installing and they wont be available for it. You can also check out "subsilver2".....but again I will not be supporting that one.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sorry about the error that happened overnight. It's remedied now and we are back in action.

You might also notice the "thumbs up/thumbsdown" that is located on every post so you can rate a post. I will make a new post about this later explaining it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dutchie said:
Charlie said:
It means the person did not open the PM yet. Once they open it, it will go to the sent folder.
Thanx 4 the explanation:)

:hattip

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Gabriel said:
How about adding https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/prosil ... s-on-left/ ?

I really liked the absolution theme. maybe also because it was not 100% theme but had borders on the side.

For creating a memorable and customized color theme: http://www.colorizeit.com/styles/phpbb- ... ilver.html
Works great with the standard theme, just requiring to replace some css.

I can do the profiles on the left, no problem.

Like you I really liked the absolution theme. However, its just too much of a hassle when doing any kind of modification.

I had planned on customizing the colors on this theme but thanks for that site as it will make it easier. I think once I get the colors right it will be more appealing on the eyes. Thank you!

Gabriel

Btw, I tried switching to the other themes but got php errors. maybe some problem with the paths? Went back to prosilver.

Imo, a board is best when it is as minimal as possible. Many of the phpbb mods are not really needed and just introduce security hazards. That's why I love ray peat's site and peatarian so much, so easy on the eyes!

Except the reputation mod that one is truly a keeper. I have customized a similar one (the thank you mod)e to be more facebooky ("likes" instead reputation). Makes it more compatible for the facebook generation ;)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Gabriel said:
Btw, I tried switching to the other themes but got php errors. maybe some problem with the paths? Went back to prosilver.

Imo, a board is best when it is as minimal as possible. Many of the phpbb mods are not really needed and just introduce security hazards. That's why I love ray peat's site and peatarian so much, so easy on the eyes!

Except the reputation mod that one is truly a keeper. I have customized that one to be more facebooky ("likes" instead reputation). Makes it more compatible for the facebook generation ;)

Things got messed up last night when I was trying to restore a backup. That's why this weekend I am going to do an fresh install.

Which reputation mod are you using? I noticed the "thanks for posts" you could modify it more like facebook.

Gabriel

Yes I used the thanks for posts and replaced some code with what some people posted at a discussion topic. Dont remember if I had to change 1-2 more things but it worked pretty good without much hassle.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1690905
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1866985 (the code part is on page 2 i think)

Phpbb modding is indeed a time-wasting business. I dont wanna know how many countless hours I have used just for getting some code lines to work. especially when you dont have an IT background. You got my deepest respect.