Ray Peat Forum: New Design

John Eels

I don't frequent the Raypeatforum that often anymore. I hang out more on peatarian.com. I notice the new design. I find it less user friendly than the one before. I have a few thoughts:

1) I think the font is different. It's more difficult to read. I preferred the one before. Was it Verdana?
2) The color washouts in the boxes don't add anything (from dark blue to white blue). I find them rather distracting.
3) I used to be able to go through the most recent topics to the oldest ones on the portal page. Now, I count eight topics and the system doesn't let me explore topics older then those. I miss that. I used to visit the forum every three days or so and check out the topics that have been added since than.
4) This last point hasn't changed since the update. I think that the most relevant box of all the boxes on the portal is the one labeled RECENT. I think it should be on top and the box WELCOME MESSAGE second to make it for regular users more appealing who are interested in the more dynamic content.

Gabriel

I agree with point 2)
Also I think the colors could be made a little more harmonious, I somehow have the feeling they dont fit well together, although it is hard for me to say what is the problem.

Regarding the new posts, I hotlinked this board to the following link, which always gives me the topics I havent read yet.
search.php?search_id=unreadposts

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
1) I think the font is different. It's more difficult to read. I preferred the one before. Was it Verdana?

I just checked and the one now is Verdana. That's the font I usually use. If the font is too small then just hit "ctrl" plus the "+" sign and it will make the font bigger.

2) The color washouts in the boxes don't add anything (from dark blue to white blue). I find them rather distracting.

I have been having the same thoughts to but just have not gotten around to tweaking it. I changed it to a whitish grey which seems a little bit better.

3) I used to be able to go through the most recent topics to the oldest ones on the portal page. Now, I count eight topics and the system doesn't let me explore topics older then those. I miss that. I used to visit the forum every three days or so and check out the topics that have been added since than.

I changed it to 10 so you will have a couple more to check out. I will see if I can somehow get a click on so you can expand that search.

4) This last point hasn't changed since the update. I think that the most relevant box of all the boxes on the portal is the one labeled RECENT. I think it should be on top and the box WELCOME MESSAGE second to make it for regular users more appealing who are interested in the more dynamic content.

I will consider this.

Thanks for your input!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I agree with point 2)
Also I think the colors could be made a little more harmonious, I somehow have the feeling they dont fit well together, although it is hard for me to say what is the problem.

How does it look now?

Regarding the new posts, I hotlinked this board to the following link, which always gives me the topics I havent read yet.
search.php?search_id=unreadposts

This link is also available on the portal page on the right hand side on the "menu" list.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OH OK, I see what you are saying now about the blue. I will see if I can clear it up a bit.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
John, I made a "recent topic" page. Let me know if that works for you. If so, I will add a link on the portal page, on the menu at top left.

recent_topics.php

Gabriel

Looks better Charlie! Maybe you could reintroduce that border around the whole board? Somehow it is not shown here anymore.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Gabriel said:
Looks better Charlie! Maybe you could reintroduce that border around the whole board? Somehow it is not shown here anymore.

Thank you.

You like a darker border? Trying to figure out what looks better and easier on the eyes.

Gabriel

Yes something that is not so hard on the eyes. Not necessarily dark, greyish would also be fine. What do the others say?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well, John says the how it fades from dark blue to the lighter blue distracts him. I do see how that could happen.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The darker grey I just added seems to clear things up a bit. I could go lighter and see how it goes.

jyb

Good work, it keeps improving.

I would still prefer to have the "recent post" list straight on the main page, instead of a huge page with just a few lines of quote. I don't make any use of things like the clock. I'm only on that page because there's a link to the "recent post" page, basically.

Gabriel