Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

meatbag

Originally posted by the scholar @md_a here: Corona Virus How To Treat
"Regarding the article

Ray Peat:
"The article sounds to me like the ideas of students who have taken a pharmacology course in computer modeling of molecules; without an anchor to experiment, it’s perfectly useless. Iron and particulate pollution cause lung damage similar to the inflammation produced by the virus. Ventilating patients decreases their antiinflammatory CO2, making the inflammation worse. Acetaminophen, often given to patients, increases lung nitric oxide and damages red blood cells, adding to the harm done by treatment. The suggested treatments could aggravate the damage; for example, chloroquine increases nitric oxide. The angiotensin produced in response to the virus increases nitric oxide, and blocking that protects from the virus."
---
J Clin Invest. 1998 Aug 1; 102(3): 595–605.
Chloroquine stimulates nitric oxide synthesis in murine, porcine, and human endothelial cells.
D Ghigo, E Aldieri, R Todde, C Costamagna, G Garbarino, G Pescarmona, and A Bosia

Abstract

Nitric oxide (NO) is a free radical involved in the regulation of many cell functions and in the expression of several diseases. We have found that the antimalarial and antiinflammatory drug, chloroquine, is able to stimulate NO synthase (NOS) activity in murine, porcine, and human endothelial cells in vitro: the increase of enzyme activity is dependent on a de novo synthesis of some regulatory protein, as it is inhibited by cycloheximide but is not accompanied by an increased expression of inducible or constitutive NOS isoforms. Increased NO synthesis is, at least partly, responsible for chloroquine-induced inhibition of cell proliferation: indeed, NOS inhibitors revert the drug-evoked blockage of mitogenesis and ornithine decarboxylase activity in murine and porcine endothelial cells. The NOS-activating effect of chloroquine is dependent on its weak base properties, as it is exerted also by ammonium chloride, another lysosomotropic agent. Both compounds activate NOS by limiting the availability of iron: their stimulating effects on NO synthesis and inhibiting action on cell proliferation are reverted by iron supplementation with ferric nitrilotriacetate, and are mimicked by incubation with desferrioxamine. Our results suggest that NO synthesis can be stimulated in endothelial cells by chloroquine via an impairment of iron metabolism.

atlee7757

Me:
I used an N95 mask for 2 hours.

I found that the mask increased breathing effort and had anticipated some sort of benefit from rebreathing some of the air that wasn't completely expelled: i.e. like bag breathing increasing carbon dioxide retention.

However, at the end of the 2 hours, I found the effect to be very negative. It actually felt like the virus symptoms as reported by the media.

My nasal passages had narrowed down with perhaps a histamine response.

My throat area felt severely aggravated like you would feel just prior to the onset of a cold.

Next day: all gone.

My question is: what type of a gas exchange disturbance had I created while wearing the mask?

Dr. Peat:

The effort of breathing increases lung stress—stretch and compression—increasing nitric oxide and other inflammation signals, similar to the effects of the virus.

Hospital ventilators are killing tens of thousands.

Luciano Gattinoni, in Germany, says that one nearby hospital has a 0% mortality rate from the virus, and another has a 60% rate, one avoiding the “standard ventilation protocol."

meatbag

"I was just talking to a friend in Mexico on the phone, who mentioned cold weather and having a “resfriado” (Spanish speakers make a stronger connection between chilling and respiratory symptoms than English speakers do with “a cold”); I think that mental process, of blurring together abstractions, theory, and symptoms, until language and lived experience make a functional reality, has happened with concepts of time and creation, cause and effect, substance and field, existence and non-existence, etc. “Nothing,” as it’s used by physicists and Christian theists, is a mental process with less justification than the process that makes a Mexican sneeze when there’s a cold breeze. Kozyrev was just using the 19th century reasoning about the relation of entropy to energy to make their assumptions obvious, and his use of the word “time” doesn’t add anything useful that I can see to the observations that he made, when he made a different assumption. But his observations were concrete, and seemed to confirm something about the thinking that led him to predict them. When a person questions the theological-authoritarian-rationalist physical system, which insists that deduction from their principles can explain everything,
science becomes a matter of seeing what is to be seen, rather than reasoning to a self-consistent conclusion from a perfect set of laws. A good hypothesis is one that leads you discover what wasn’t known, not one that just confirms present dogma.
There are many recorded observations that can be used as context for Kozyrev’s cluster of observations: J.L. Anderson’s non-random nuclear decay, Michael Polanyi’s surface effects on crystal properties, Edward Morley and Dayton Miller’s work on the velocity of light (ether drift), S. Warren Carey’s growing earth, Horace Dudley’s (massive) neutrino sea, Frank A. Brown’s biological sensing through shielding, Dror Sadeh’s atomic clock experiments, etc. The physics and religious establishments are essentially denying that (new) things are happening, the alternative position is to try to understand what it is, and what it means for us."
--
Friction In Absolute Vacuum - Possible Confirmation Of Ether Existence

RealNeat

Me: My question is regarding Losartan and Cinanserin alternatives. You mentioned Progesterone works similarly to Losartan but takes longer, what dose would be comparable if someone were to need it? Also would Benadryl be able to take the place if Cinanserin? Both of those drugs seem very problematic in terms of attaining them. What role does iron play in this as I see a lot of talk of blood oxygen being effected, it seems people are becoming anemic and iron toxic at the same time? Thank you.

Ray: I have seen some articles talking about the hypoxia that occurs as a problem with the hemoglobin, but I don’t know of any evidence for that, while it’s well known that the virus infects both the intestine and the lung, and bowel inflammation leads to impaired lung function and the other things associated with the virus. The antiinflammatory things work on the actual causes of the sickness—endotoxin, serotonin, histamine, vascular leakiness.

M

metabolizm

You've said that a requirement for vitamin B6 is often implicated in anxiety, along with hyperventilation. Why is this specific nutrient so closely connected to that condition?

Ray:
It’s essential for regulating neurotransmitters, and is wasted by estrogen.

Beastmode

I didn't want to mention any names to Peat so it wouldn't create a bias, but it seems like he knew where I got this from......Jack Kruse! I guess others have emailed him about Kruse's theories/practices, etc.

Me:
Have you heard of or find any relevance to any of the following:

- Building a "solar callus."
- Mitochondrial haplotype.
- Redox state.

Would getting a BUN/Creatinine ratio test be worth it?

Ray:
The use of noncommunicative jargon can be an indication of a personality disorder. I have seen the word redox used in many medical publications apparently just because they thought it sounded erudite, though it didn’t serve any special purpose.

Beastmode

Me:
Is there something unique about scallops as a protein source compared to others?

Possibly from an anti-inflammatory standpoint?

Scallop protein with endogenous high taurine and glycine content prevents high-fat, high-sucrose-induced obesity and improves plasma lipid profile in male C57BL/6J mice

Throughout your articles and interviews over the years I haven't heard you mention them much as anything special.

Ray:
They are similar to other mollusks nutritionally. I stopped mentioning them years ago when there were a lot of imitation scallops on the market. More recently I accidentally got some imitation calamari steaks. It’s easier to mention the things that are less likely to be fabricated out of junk and glue.

milk_lover

Me:
I have a gut feeling that all companies will not let their employees continue working until they get mandatory vaccine against COVID-19. Of course, we know how harmful these vaccines can be. What measures can I take to protect myself and my family if we are forced to take them? Would taking a lot of aspirin and vitamin D and probably progesterone in the day of the required vaccination be helpful?

Dr. Ray Peat:
The aluminum adjuvant’s effects develop gradually over a period of days.

Me:
So hopefully that means the harmful effects of vaccines is temporary and with good metabolism and right nutrition during this period, one can emerge from this storm as if nothing happened? I really wish that was the case because part of my naive mind and heart would be happy with that fact.

Dr. Ray Peat:
No, a person is never again the same after reacting to an aluminum adjuvant. The official figures of the US government show clearly that the epidemic of chronic diseases began with the massive increase of vaccinations in 1989.

Me:

Maybe I should get a note from a doctor that I have allergy from aluminum. But then the vaccine people will say everybody is reacting to vaccines. Then, why are you insisting on giving it to people by brute force? I am scared for our children. The world will not be the same sadly after this “epidemic”. Maybe if I am forced to take it (or my company will fire me), maybe I can ask for the non-aluminum version of the same vaccine if such a thing exists. I never knew an aluminum adjuvant could entirely change the person health for life.

Dr. Ray Peat:
This interview has some important background information

gaze

Me:
Do you think learning to write with ones non dominant hand (voluntarily, not forced during childhood) is stressful? I worry to go against one’s instincts voluntarily might have adverse consequences due to it being a slight stressor.

Ray:
Some studies show that it can remedy neuroses to do more things with the non-dominant hand; the brain becomes exaggertedly one-sided from prolonged stress. The endorphins, produced by stress, help to maintain balance when one side is impaired.

Beastmode

Me:
ttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6296360

Even though there isn't a "receptor," does this research still point to something valid in your opinion?

Seems like the "good" that people claim from using it might not outweigh the "bad" in regards to oxidative metabolism, etc.

I have a family members and friends who believe it's a powerful plant that needs to be used more for health, but I'm not convinced.

Ray:
I think there’s nothing good but sedation. Apigenin is good, but the mixture is so complex that particular substance doesn’t matter. The smoke has all the harm of smoke, including estrogenicity, and the extract’s effect on the liver lowers androgens.

md_a

I found an old question:
For vegetarians!! What’s a good source of glycine and accompanying useful amino acids?? I've looked up sources in Google and all they list is beans and eggs.

Ray: Plant proteins don't have the dangerous overload of tryptophan and Cysteine that occur in muscle meats, whey, and egg white, so increasing the Glycine isn't so important for vegetarians. Just getting enough protein is the hardest thing, and cooked potato juice is the best one known. The amino acid balance in most fruits seems good. Leaf protein is as good as milk protein, but it's hard to separate it from the antinutrients such as tannins.
It's very slow to look up the literature on amino acids in the various plant species and tissues, and people haven't been very concerned with the amount of glycine in foods.

M

metabolizm

Ray on the causes of dandruff:

"Usually it’s from a slight nutritional deficiency or imbalance. Vitamin D, the ratio of calcium to phosphate in your diet, and thyroid function are some of the things that affect it."

MatheusPN

A comment in youtube by xx yy, the Ray quote was revised by me:

xx yy: Thanks Danny & Georgi for another great video. I heard Ray on this month's KMUD show and a caller asked if there is anything a person can do to protect against aluminium adjuvant. Ray said: "Anti-inflammatories can protect against everything but once you have injected aluminum in the muscle, you are going to have life-long effects of that. Aluminium in the muscle has unpredictable effects, that often particles are sent up the nerve fiber from the muscle to the brain, transported in a specific way into the brain where they cause continuing amplification of inflammation. So I wouldn't encourage anyone to think that they can protect themselves from aluminium-containing injection."
@Lejeboca @milk_lover @RealNeat @CLASH news on the prior conversation
Is this the proper thread? Feel free to PM me

Last edited:
Me:
Will fermenting nuts and seeds biohydrogenate the PUFA into SFA? Or does this require a ruminant animal?

Ray:
The rumen can reach more than 95% conversion, other systems with lots of vitamin E maybe about 2%.

M

metabolizm

Important for muscle relaxation: "Vitamin D, calcium, thyroid, good health."

Humans getting calcium before farming: "Wild foraging and gathering cultures usually got lots of vegetable calcium relative to phosphate, better than agricultural societies."

Ashoka

I emailed Peat after the interview with Danny and Georgi about finasteride, because the interview was unclear on the issue of Post-Finasteride Syndrome.

His response about treating PFS was as follows, and similar to his response when I asked a few years ago:

"Concentrating at one end on intestinal and liver efficiency and freedom from irritation, then I think the main restorative line to concentrate on is keeping angiotensin-aldosterone-parathyroid hormone low, and optimizing vitamin D, thyroid, pregnenolone (DHEA, progesterone) production. Carbon dioxide can be boosted in a variety of ways."

Ray on Kidney Cancer:

"Watching thyroid, vitamin D, calcium/phospate in the diet, and the balance of serum steroids (low on cortisol, aldosterone, and estrogen), are the most important things. Keeping the intestine active and free of inflammation (using thyroid and coffee), with a low phosphate diet, are the essence of Gerson’s method (raw carrots are helpful for the intestine)."

RealNeat

Me: My mother in laws cat is wasting away. He is about 14-15 years old and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (years ago). I looked at his labs and they only seem to be measuring his TT4 (which was very elevated). He has been on methimazole for years. Nothing in his diet seems to suggest it's actual hyperthyroidism however ("typical" cat food diet) he is very skinny and losing weight rapidly. He can't keep much down and everything has to be watered down for him. I want to help him as I know a side effect long term methimazole is hypothyroidism. I gave him 4mcg T3 the other night hoping it would help balance him out. Do you have any experience with pets and thyroid and how to approach it?

The rhetoric is that dogs are hypo and cats are hyper, I however don't believe it, as I've read your remarks on the stabilizing ability of thyroid to both conditions and the rarity of true hyperthyroidism. (Cat name) ate canned tuna most of his life and fish and chicken are the only two things he can really keep down. He drinks a lot of water, his kidney markers are off, his paws, ears and nose are cold and he's always begging for food. These all seem like hypo symptoms to me...

Thank you.

Ray: Cachexia is the effect of complete absence of thyroid, being cold and having low kidney function are signs in that direction. Thyroid, T3, is anabolic. Have you tried blending a little raw egg yolk with tuna for extra nutrients?

Pulstar

Wanted to ask Ray about Accutane side effects reversal for some time now, so here it is. Pasting it here exactly as sent and received, only without greetings etc.

Me:
Just wanted to ask your opinion about Accutane side effect reversal. As far as I'm aware, Accutane remains quite popular prescription drug for acne treatment, despite being infamous for its side effects: depression, joint pain, stomach pain, even changes in hippocampus. I did 1 month of Accutane treatment and can confirm some of its effects.

What would be the best thing to do in order to minimize or reverse its side effect?
Do you think that its damage might be permanent?
Would it be still wise to take vitamin A after Accutane treatment?

Ray:
Since the symptoms can be produced by activation of the pro-inflammatory angiotension system, and an overdose of vitamin A can create symptoms of a vitamin A deficiency (vitamin A normally works with vitamin D to inhibit that system), I think it might help to supplement some vitamin D (about 5000 IU unless you get good sun exposure), vitamin A (about 10,000 IU), with some vitamin E (20 to 50 IU), thyroid hormone (according to temperature and pulse rate), and a good ratio of calcium to phosphate in the diet. An angiotensin blocker such as candesartan might help with joint pain and depression.

Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2001 Nov;281(5):F909-19.

Effects of all-trans retinoic acid on renin-angiotensin system in rats with experimental nephritis.

Dechow C, Morath C, Peters J, Lehrke I, Waldherr R, Haxsen V, Ritz E, Wagner J.

We previously demonstrated that all-trans retinoic acid (RA) preserves glomerular structure and function in anti-Thy1.1 nephritis (Wagner J, Dechow C, Morath C, Lehrke I, Amann K, Floege J, and Ritz E. J Am Soc Nephrol 11: 1479-1489, 2000). Because the renin-angiotensin system (RAS) contributes to renal damage, we 1) studied retinoid-specific effects on its components and 2) compared the effects of all-trans-RA with those of the AT(1)-receptor blocker candesartan. Rats were pretreated for 3 days before injection of the OX-7 antibody and continued with treatment with either vehicle or daily injections of 10 mg/kg all-trans-RA only (study 1) or 10 mg/kg body wt all-trans-RA, 1 mg/kg candesartan, or both (study 2) for an additional 7 days. The blood pressure increase observed in anti-Thy1.1 nephritic rats was equally normalized by all-trans-RA and candesartan (P < 0.05). In nephritic rats, mRNAs of angiotensinogen and angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) in the kidney were unchanged, but renin mRNA was lower (P < 0.01). Renal and glomerular AT(1)-receptor gene and protein expression levels were higher in anti-Thy1.1 nephritic rats (P < 0.05). In the renal cortex of nephritic rats, pretreatment with all-trans-RA significantly reduced mRNAs of all the examined RAS components, but in the glomeruli it increased ACE gene and protein expression (P < 0.01). In nephritic rats, candesartan reduced the number of glomerular cells and mitoses (P < 0.05) less efficiently than all-trans-RA (P < 0.01). Both substances reduced cellular proliferation (proliferating cell nuclear antigen) significantly (P < 0.05). No additive effects were noted when both compounds were combined. In conclusion, all-trans-RA influences the renal RAS in anti-Thy1.1 nephritis by decreasing ANG II synthesis and receptor expression. The beneficial effect of retinoids may be explained, at least in part, by reduction of RAS activity.

M

metabolizm

On SSRI drugs: "Some of them have other actions that account for any benefit, but the advertised benefits are far from reality. Anything that injures the brain activates increased production of the neurosteroids. The power of placebos sustains medicine and psychiatry.

Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2008; 3: 14.
Effectiveness of antidepressants: an evidence myth constructed from a thousand randomized trials?
John PA Ioannidis"