Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

TreasureVibe

Me: I am convinced the varicocele is linked to the synthetic Testosterone Enanthate injections and the metandienone and nolvadex pills. I cannot prove it though.

I want to restore the varicocele really bad. But I am really confused on the dynamics of it. For example, is the vein itself damaged, that it can't keep constricted? Or is it due to compression by a muscle that keeps it in this bloated state? Or both? The vein is called the pampiniform plexus which is connected the scrotal/gonadal/spermatic vein. I find it so dissapointing that this phenomenon in young males is so understudied in the medical science. Simply cutting the vein off is not convincing to me and seems very unlogical.

RP:
Smooth muscle tone is weakened by nitric oxide, histamine, and various stresses, while progesterone, DHEA, and pregnenolone increase the tone.

Me: I am currently trying to change my perspective and start looking at this problem as a problem of an enlarged colon, possibly due to hidden constipation. This enlarged colon could be pushing against the gonadal vein, causing the varicocele. Is there anything that you could recommend in order to treat an enlarged colon due to undigested matter and the like still sitting in there, or is this a theory that is quackery by naturopaths?

RP:
It was once a commonly recognized explanation for the leg varicose veins that developed in pregnant women. Thyroid hormone is important for maintaining function of the colon as well as veins, and fibrous foods (raw carrots, cooked mushrooms and bamboo shoots, bran, for example) will sometimes correct the problem. Avoiding starchy foods is important. Well aged cascara sagrada along with the other things has corrected some enlarged colons.

Me:
Dear Dr. Peat,

Thank you for your kindness in giving such great advice. In my research of the subject however I have now become further confused after reading how in certain studies varicoceles corresponded with Nutcracker Syndrome and left renal vein hypertension, in one study with a 100% rate apparently. Some researchers suggest that Nutcracker Syndrome is highly underdiagnosed.

Here is one such study: Varicocele and nutcracker syndrome: sonographic findings. - PubMed - NCBI

A citation from an analysis:

Varicoceles almost always occur on the left side and affect up to 9.5% of men. Considering the frequency of incompetency or absence of spermatic vein valves, Zerhouni et al25 contend that this finding is irrelevant and that LRV hypertension is the usual cause of varicoceles. The LRV was compressed in 50% to 100% of all patients with varicocele,8,60 although not all patients with varicocele have a distended LRV.10,37

Source:
Nutcracker Phenomenon and Nutcracker Syndrome

Now this condition seems quite terrifying, and seems to be the cause of varicocele in quite some men possibly. What would your comments be on this condition, perhaps on the causes, and what could possibly be done for it in terms of reverting/treating it if this is even possible? What could be a possible explanation of its development from a biological point of view?

Addendum: I might add that nutcracker syndrome (NCS) results most commonly from the compression of the left renal vein between the abdominal aorta (AA) and superior mesenteric artery (SMA), although other variants exist.[1][2] Source: Nutcracker syndrome - Wikipedia

RP:
Since I think from 80 to 100% of medical theories of etiology are wrong, I think it’s best to attend to things more in proportion to their correctability.

Me: Thanks a bunch! This information is really invaluable. I have read before that you recommended succinic acid to safely chelate heavy metals. What dose would you consider as a proper dose, and how much should be taken a day?

Also, I have found that malic acid is very useful for my brain fog and forgetfulness. I have now ordered specifically L-malic acid which is natural, as I was afraid that my product was synthetic, as in D-malic acid. What do you think of malic acid, and is it advisable to stick to the natural L-malic acid form? Also, wouldn't malic acid have a tendency in the body to chelate beneficial minerals like magnesium and calcium?

RP:
Poorly digested foods, especially things like spices, nuts, green salads, and legumes, can cause a chronic cough. I had a terrible cough for more than a year, which I discovered was caused by the vitamin C supplement I was using. I learned that many people have chronic problems from their supplements. That can be a problem with malate and succinate.

Me:
Thanks! What would you suggest to improve digestion? Also, there are 2 studies showing Cascara Sagrada is toxic to the liver and causing portal hypertension in the second study. The portal hypertension case was an individual with past alcoholism and was on prescription drugs during the study,m though, I have read elsewhere:

Https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11151906/
Https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19925744/

Is Cascara Sagrada safe? And what would you advice for episodes of hives in a woman in her 50s? And what would be advisable for olanzapine induced thrombosis in a leg in a man in his 50s? (Mother and father) and also, what could be considered useful for borderline personality disorder? (Father and brother)

RP:
There’s an article about cascara on my website, raypeat.com. Hives usually result from food sensitivities on a background of hypothyroidism, and hypothyroidism often leads to stress syndromes that affect the personality. There are several related articles on my website. Vitamin E, and including some liver and aged cheese in the diet, and correcting hypothyroidism, help to clear up blood clots.

Me:
peaking of the thyroid, do you recommend sodium selenite as safe? Since it is pro-oxidative, but it is included in alot of selenium supplements. What sort of selenium supplement would you recommend? And at what dose? Also, is low dose iodine supplementation as potassium iodide recommended? (150mcg taken on some days)

RP:
I think having seafood once or twice a week is best for selenium and iodine.

Me: *Asking for advice on the use of bio-identical progesterone for a 56 years old female relative*

RP:
Progesterone has a positive feedback effect on the ovaries, helping them to produce it, and it has a favorable (anti-stress, antiaging) effect on the thyroid, pituitary, adrenals, and pancreas. I’ve been using a little daily for several years. If a woman is using a large amount, I think it’s best to imitate a natural menstrual cycle, because after several days, the liver begins to excrete it, and it takes a few days for the liver enzymes to return to the previous level. When it’s taken every day, the effect of a dose doesn’t last as long, making it less economical. The size of the dose that’s effective depends on how much estrogen is present, and fat tissue is a major source of it after menopause.

Me: *Asking about safety of exposure to chemical solvents*

RP:
The irritating effect from a single exposure should disappear in about a day; I think the main risk is that the thiazolinones are strong allergens, so that later exposures to small amounts could produce more serious reactions.

"In high concentrations Methylchloroisothiazolinone can cause chemical burns and it is a skin and membrane irritant. It was largely removed from most cosmetic products except for those with only short duration skin contact such as rinse-offs, although its inclusion in certain forms makes it more acceptable to sensitive users. It is used in concentrations of up to 15% in rinse-off products and 8% in other cosmetics (EWG). It is approved by the CIR for use in cosmetics."

Me: *Asking if bald spots could be due to the use of high dosed niacinamide for 56 years old female relative*

RP:
The hair lost might mean that her vitamin D, or calcium, or thyroid is deficient.

Me: *Asking about certainty of vitamin E's ability to dissolve blood clots in regards to leg thrombosis for male 57 years old relative with history of leg thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, and overweight, smoker and bad health overall*

RP:
Enzymes are always able to degrade clots, though the presence of polyunsaturated fats makes them much tougher and more persistent. Both vitamin E and aspirin accelerate the dissolution, aspirin by direct chemical actions. Vitamin K should be used with aspirin.

Note by me on last quote, aspirin has a pro-thrombotic rebound effect when usage is stopped, I have not inquired Ray Peat about this, but it was demonstrated in a big animal study.

Dan W

Just a clarification because someone thought I was having a ton of communication with Peat: only two of the e-mails (1, 2) I've posted were my own communications with him. All the other e-mails are from people who've sent them to me, or from posts in other Peat groups (after getting the person's permission). I just leave out their names for privacy.

E-mail exchange sent to me:
P said:
[discussion/questions about about mouth-breathing and periods of not breathing when asleep, particularly in children]
Ray Peat said:
Low thyroid function is usually the cause, with hypoglycemia and endotoxemia during the night.

Sleep Med. 2012 Dec;13(10):1317-20.
Behavioural hyperventilation as a novel clinical condition associated with central sleep apnoea: a report of three cases.
Pevernagie D, Mariman A, Vandenbussche N, Tobback E, Overeem S, Delesie L, Janssen H, Vogelaers D.
Central sleep apnoea (CSA) is a disorder characterised by repetitive episodes of decreased ventilation due to complete or partial reduction in the central neural outflow to the respiratory muscles. Hyperventilation plays a prime role in the pathogenesis of CSA. Chronic heart failure and dwelling at high altitude are classical conditions in which CSA is induced by hyperventilation. Hyperventilation syndrome (HVS) is a prevalent behavioural condition in which minute ventilation exceeds metabolic demands, resulting in haemodynamic and chemical changes that produce characteristic dysphoric symptoms. HVS is frequently caused by anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Until now, medical literature has focussed primarily on daytime symptoms of behavioural hyperventilation. It is currently unknown how this condition may affect sleep. Three cases are reported in which behavioural hyperventilation was associated with occurrence of significant central sleep apnoea, which was not present during normal tidal breathing in steady sleep. Therefore, behavioural hyperventilation should be added to the list of known clinical conditions associated with CSA.

Chest. 1976 Oct;70(4):554-7.
Posthyperventilation apnea associated with severe hypoxemia.
MacDonald KF, Bowers JT, Flynn RE.
We studied a 14-year-old girl who suffered fractures of her mandible and tegmen following a fall from a balance beam. Thirteen days after hospitalization, she developed severe, protracted, recurrent episodes of hyperventilation; subsequently, she suffered posthyperventilation apnea, which at times was prolonged and association with severe hypoxemia with an arterial oxygen pressure as low as 25 mm Hg. The patient was treated with added dead space and chlorpromazine hydrochloride (Thorazine). Postulated mechanisms for her disorder are discussed. The importance of close clinical and laboratory observation in similar cases is stressed.

Arch Dis Child. 2013 Feb;98(2):103-6.
Effect of hyperventilation on rate corrected QT interval of children.
Kannivelu A, Kudumula V, Bhole V.
BACKGROUND:
Hyperventilation is known to cause ST segment changes and QT variability in adults, but this has not been systematically studied in children.
AIM:
To investigate the effect of hyperventilation on rate corrected QT interval (QTc) in children.
METHODS AND RESULTS:
25 children (male=10) with a median age of 14 (range 8.3-17.6) years were asked to hyperventilate for 1 min before exercise testing using the modified Bruce protocol. Mean QTc at rest, after hyperventilation, at peak exercise and at 1 min of recovery was 425(±31), 460(±30), 446(±38) and 420(±32) ms, respectively. Mean increase (95% CI) in QTc after hyperventilation was 35(19 to 51) ms (p<0.001), while there was minimal difference between QT interval at rest and after hyperventilation (mean QT 352(±41) vs 357(±44) ms). In six children, there were abnormalities in T wave morphology following hyperventilation. The QTc increment following hyperventilation was more pronounced in children with resting QTc <440 ms (n=14, mean increment (95% CI): 55 (33 to 78) ms) compared to children with QTc ≥440 ms (n=11, mean increment (95% CI): 9 (-4 to 22) ms) (p=0.001). QTc prolongation following hyperventilation was seen in children with both low and intermediate probability of long QT syndrome (LQTS). Peak exercise and early recovery did not cause a statistically significant change in QTc in either of these groups.
CONCLUSIONS:
Hyperventilation produces repolarisation abnormalities, including prolongation of QTc and T wave abnormalities in children with low probability of LQTS. The likely mechanism is delayed adaptation of QT interval with increased heart rate. Thus, a hyperventilation episode can be misdiagnosed as LQTS, especially in an emergency department.

LUH 3417

On progesterone and menstruation:

Me: I had been experiencing some pelvic pains and a delayed menstruation, so I began supplementing ~100mg bioidentical progesterone throughout the day. I began menstruating three days into supplementing. Do you know why that would happen (even though I was taking a high dose)?

RP: If there’s a follicle that hasn’t ovulated, progesterone can sometimes trigger the ovulation; that could cause a surge of estrogen, leading to menstruation. Do you mean you were taking 100 mg total in divided doses, or multiples of 100 mg?

Kartoffel

Asked about Volkheimer's studies and the effect of coffee on starch persorption.

Ray said:
It’s why I stopped eating starch. [...] He thought it was the increased pressure from more vigorous peristalsis. He noticed that eating fat with it reduced persorption. Coffee is important in the diet, and since natural fats contain some PUFA, stopping starch eating most simply solves the problem of persorption.

Peatful

05250B7F-8443-46BE-850D-13B63177A34F.png
Regarding olfactory hallucinations/ scent auras

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I wrote Ray about Grant's theory of vitamin A being involved in autoimmune diseases, linked his blog and described his vitamin A deplete diet of primarily red meat and rice. I also mentioned that some people were claiming relief of autoimmune conditions on beef and water only. He replied:
"A diet of meat and rice has often been used as a kind of “elimination” diet, avoiding the thousands of inflammation-promoting substances in vegetables and many grains. Meat and water would avoid even the antigens in rice."
This was quite similar to @Ella's reply.

Wagner83

_ Hi Ray,

What are your thoughts on the safety of shining redlight in the eyes? There is evidence it could help with eye health and I find it has nice systemic effects.*
Do you think it's risky to use small doses of t3 throughout the day without any supplemental t4? How to avoid excess rt3?

Low-level light therapy of the eye and brain

"A recent study showed evidence that LLLT could be effective at preventing the effects of phototoxicity, which has clinical relevance in the prevention of age-related macular degeneration. The photoreceptor protective effects of LLLT are also evident when damage is induced by phototoxicity. White light at 1800 lx for 3 hours causes significant damage to the outer nuclear layer of the retina in pigmented rats. This structural damage is accompanied by an attenuation of the b wave in the electroretinogram. LLLT reduced the extension of damage in the outer nuclear layer and maintained the electroretinogram b wave amplitude.73 LLLT has also been shown to prevent inflammation and photoreceptor damage induced by phototoxicity. LLLT at 670 nm, 9 J/cm2, and 60 mW/cm2 was given for 5 days before and 5 days after phototoxicity with bright light in albino rats. Retinal phototoxic damage features a 25%–75% thinning of the outer nuclear layer, degeneration of photoreceptors, loss of the retinal pigment epithelium, and microglial invasion. In this series of experiments, LLLT given before the phototoxic damage was highly effective at preventing the morphological alterations observed in the nontreated group. This study also showed evidence that the retinoprotective effects of LLLT against phototoxicity include reduction of microglial invasion, decrease of stress-related molecules, and increase in neuroprotective molecules. The protective effects of LLLT were also observed at the functional level as determined with flash-evoked electroretinography. Remarkably, the protective effects of LLLT were long-lasting and photoreceptor function was preserved as late as 1 month after damage. Also, LLLT alone did not have a significant effect on photoreceptor function and it did not affect the expression of stress-related factors.74 However, LLLT has been shown to be associated with an increase expression of RNA involved in neuroprotective roles. LLLT prevention of photoreceptor cell death induced by phototoxicity have been associated with a decrease in the expression of 126 of 175 genes upregulated by light damage.75 "

_
Reverse T3 is made from T4, so small doses of T3 usually tend to normalize rT3 if it’s high. Ordinary red light has an antiinflammatory effect, helps to neutralize the effects of too much u.v. and blue light. If it’s too bright, it can overheat the eye internally.

_ Do you think the addition of keto groups to hormones can make them negative and why? I remember that in the past you told me you wouldn't use them.

_ Yes, I think large doses of any modified progesterone could be harmful to the brain.

_ Thanks for the answers, that helps.
Is there something inherent to the addition of a keto group from a biochemical standpoint that would make bio-identical keto varieties of any steroid harmful? [...]
Or did you see specific studies on keto progesterone which raised concerns?
cleardot.gif

_ It’s that progesterone has extensive functions that are essential for survival in good health, and something which closely resembles its structure is likely to interfere in those processes. It could take years for irreversible and disastrous effects to be noticed.

cleardot.gif

_ Thanks.
You mentioned big doses would cause that, any idea what may be dangerous territory? So far I've only heard about 11 k progesterone and 6 k progesterone.
What about 11 k dht, would that be any different?

_ I think there’s too little information to judge the risks confidently; I would want at least some good long term animal studies before I tried one of them.
cleardot.gif

Last edited:

goodandevil

Q: "Does calcium glucarate increase the elimination of testosterone and progesterone as well as estrogen?"

R: "I’m not sure that it reliably does anything."

goodandevil

Following up on calcium glucarate:

Q: "Do you think it could be a useful adjunct given adequate protein intake, b vitamins &c. Or is it just too unpredictable to work with .."
R: "Those, and vitamin D, calcium, thyroid, and sugar would back it up, but the amount it takes to strongly inhibit glucuronidase would be several ounces a day."

Q: "My reasoning is that it might prevent the liberation of estrogen in inflamed tissue during progesterone therapy?"
R: "A very large amount would help, but progesterone activates both sulfation and glucuronidation, and inhibits both sulfatase and glucuronidase."

Fractality

Can someone with Ray's email ask him if he ever found out whether drinking potato juice raw is safe? Thanks!

Herb Doctor: Ok so what about the raw potato juice? You'd Herb Doctor: recommend cooking it right? RP: Yeah. I think there's someone who is now testing the raw stuff and is going to tell me whether eating is safe. My experience is in cooking it like scrambling an egg.

raypeatclips

Q.
Dear Ray,

Looking through ingredients lists of chocolate, many contain either soy or sunflower lecithin. Do you think either of these is less harmful than the other? And do you consider either, or both, so harmful as to not bother eating chocolate containing them?

Thank you.

Ray Peat said:
It takes just a small amount to emulsify it, so I don’t think it would be harmful. When an oil isn’t organic, I think the issue is the oil- or water-solubility of the herbicide or insecticide commonly used on the crop, and on that basis I would choose soy over sunflower, since the chemicals used on sunflowers are commonly oil soluble, and would tend to stay in the oil fraction in refining.

goodandevil

Q: "is organic popcorn a good fiber?"

R: "If it’s popped in coconut oil with butter it’s a fairly safe food, but the high starch content has its drawbacks."

NB: Whole grain bread has a lower ratio of starch to fiber than popcorn.

Last edited:

Dan W

E-mail exchange from Facebook:
M said:
Do you think it's important to live in areas that do not exceed a certain number or feeling of population density? I've noticed a pattern of you getting away from those areas in both US and Mexico. Southern California, Southern Oregon and then Eugene, areas with progressively lower density, and in Mexico the same, progressively getting away from the DF, first in Valle and then in Coeneo. I've noticed that in both cases you left areas with better climates, for the lower density. So I was wondering: do you think life is just not properly possible when a certain density is exceeded?
Ray Peat said:
When I was driving periodically between San Diego, Eugene, and Bozeman, Montana, I saw a continuous gradient of human pleasantness, increasing as the regional population density was lower. In the US and Mexico, many people have noticed a gradient of badness toward the east side of the continent.

raypeatclips

Q.What are your opinions on peppermint tea? I have seen people mention it is a serotonin antagonist and others saying it is estrogenic, but the studies saying it was estrogenic some people are not convinced by.

Ray Peat said:
I’ve had it several times, and it might have helped somewhat for the digestive issue that I took it for, but I didn’t have any clear sense of benefit from it.

Q. So you think peppermint tea would be reasonably safe to experiment with? You don't believe it is a dht blocker or anti androgenic?

Ray Peat said:
I think the small amount in a mild tea are safe, unless you have an allergy-like sensitivity to it.

Lucas

Q:
Hello.

Male, 40 years old.

I had hypothyroidism, low temperature, low energy and depression.

I have tried T4 only, desiccated thyroid, and this don’t improve symptoms, only make my TSH suppressed. I always have high prolactin on blood tests, around 20, even when my TSH is below 1 and the T4 and T3 tests are high on range.

Can be the high prolactin the real cause of my poor thyroid function, so it need to be addressed first than thyroid? Is the high prolactin making me dopamine deficient, so this explain the depression and the low energy? I also have always oily skin and hair, pimples on my scalp and hair loss, and anti-dandruff shampoos don’t help whit it.

I know that Cabergoline lowers prolactin very fast, but I don’t want to take it long term, how can I maintain my prolactin suppressed after taking the drug? Can B6 in the form of P5P helps?
Thank you very much

RP:
Deficiency of vitamin D and calcium (relative to phosphate) tends to increase prolactin.

Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2017;17(3):219-225.
25-hydroxyvitamin D Correlation with Prolactin Levels and Adenoma Size in Female Patients with Newly Diagnosed Prolactin Secreting Adenoma.
Aboelnaga MM, Abdullah N, El Shaer M.
OBJECTIVE:
The present research explored the relationship of vitamin D status with prolactin levels and adenoma size in female patients with newly diagnosed prolactinoma and determination of hypovitaminosis D prevalence among female patients with prolactinoma.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
We enrolled 67 female patients with newly diagnosed prolactinoma (41 with micro adenoma and 26 with macro adenoma) in this case-control study at the time of presentation. We selected 45 female subjects as a control group who were matched according to age, weight, height, body mass index and waist circumference. We investigated 25-hydroxyvitamin D, the major circulating form of vitamin D.
RESULTS:
Prolactinoma patients had significantly lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in comparison with control subjects. Also, macroadenoma patients showed significantly lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels as compared to microadenomoa patients. By contrast, microadenoma patients had nonsignificant lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in comparison with control subjects. Furthermore, we found prolactinoma patients with 25-hydroxyvitamin D &gt;20.00 ng/ml showing significant differences in the prolactin levels and adenoma size when compared with those who had 25- hydroxyvitamin D <20.00 ng/ml. In regression analysis, 25-hydroxyvitamin D level was a significant predictor of adenoma size in patients diagnosed with prolactinoma.
CONCLUSION:
Female patients with prolactinoma have lower vitamin D levels and have higher prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency among prolactinoma patients when compared with normal subjects. Also vitamin D deficiency in prolactinoma patients associated with larger adenoma size and higher prolactin level. Finally, 25-hydroxyvitamin D level was a statistically significant predictor of prolactinoma size but not prolactin levels.
Copyright© Bentham Science Publishers; For any queries, please email at [email protected].

yerrag

Me:I have been searching good allergen-free fructose and have given up, All are made from corn. Instead, I've decided on using instead agave syrup and pear juice, as they have 80% and 70% fructose respectively. I was hoping to run a few tests on myself first, and see how my glucose tolerance test would look like with agave, pear juice, regular cane sugar, and white rice. Then, I'd like to test the use on some friends who are diabetic, and see how they respond. Would agave be a good replacement for pure fructose?

Ray: A problem with apples and pears is their pectin content, which can potentially cause bowel inflammtion. The high temperature necessary to concentrate the agave fluid (called aguamiel before it’s fermented into pulque) into a sort of molasses causes a Maillard reaction, producing toxins, but I don’t think that product is sold in the US. The “agave nectar” that’s sold in the US is made from the core of the plant, rather than the juice, so it's a very artificial industrial product, and it’s risky in a variety of ways, including allergens.

Me: I've read some unverified sources on the internet that you recommend the use of succinic acid for lead chelation. Is this true? If so, could you please elaborate on how it works and how you see it being used?

Ray: No, I don’t recommend it. It’s produced endogenously.

Me: You had talked about excessive urination being a sign of poor health. What are the causes of excessive urination? I personally experienced this when I took a supplement long term and noticed I was urinating a lot, even at night. I think it moved the body's acid-base balance towards the acidic side on the blood/extracellular fluids. Are there other causes?

Ray: Sleep should turn on the antidiuretic hormone, to keep up the blood volume during the night, but it should fall immediately in the morning; copious urination during the day is o.k. if your fluid intake is high. Evaporation will account for liters per day if your metabolic rate is high, so the urine output should be well below the fluid intake.
Me: A doctor prescribed strontium for bone health for my mom. Is this needed? I associate strontium with radioactivity. Could this be an offshoot of the idea of hormetics pushed on the public?

Ray: There’s nothing left in official medicine besides marketing; when a market fad fails,* new ones will appear.

Me: Is the liposomal method of delivery of nutrients good? I made my own liposomal C from a formula obtained from the web. I had to use high-phosphatidylcholine lecithin for it. When I took it, I couldn't sleep the whole night as I felt hungry and low in blood sugar. I suspect it was the PUFA that caused it. I stopped using liposomal after this experience. Is there a good basis for me staying away from liposomal formulations?

Ray: The liposomal formulations are entirely for marketing. Things like insulin can be dissolved in oil, and the digestive process incorporates the oil into chylomicrons, i.e., liposomes.

Me: The vitamin E in supplements are usually sourced from either soy or from wheat. Are there other sources of vitamin E from food? I can't find any good information on food that are good sources of vitamin E. My impression is that vitamin E can only be found in plants that have plenty of PUFAs. Once, you had mentioned that coconut oil contains Vitamin E, but I can't find supporting documents or articles saying so. If they were mentioned, it doesn't detail how much vitamin E is in them. I suspect that the vitamin E is in the sterols found in coconut, as part of the isoprenes available in plants. Am I right?

Ray: It’s removed in the refining. I asked a coconut oil producer in Mexico what he did with the diatomacous earth after it’s used in the refining, and he said he sold it to a chemical company.

Beastmode

ME:
For a 39 year old male do you think checking testosterone levels is of any use as a marker for optimal health?

I've never had a comprehensive list of lab work done that was actually useful so far and I wanted to do my own "check up" to speak to complement the other metrics I currently use (i.e- body temp, pulse, mood, sleep quality, digestion, etc.)

Here's what I'm considering:

- Full Thyroid panel that includes rT3 (free and/or total?)
- Vitamin D levels
- Estradiol
- Testosterone levels (not sure which to make sure is being measured)

Signs and Symptoms:
- not fully rested in morning
- belly fat
- desire to be recluse more than usual
- focus and concentration can waver a bit.

I eat pastured eggs, coconut oil, butter, liver, coffee, bone broth, low fat cheese, white button mushrooms, milk, oj, etc. Adding oysters soon and getting more magnesium via cooked greens.

I focus far more on calcium being higher than phosphate now, low daily pufa, adequate protein, low starches and they seem to make a difference.

I take T3 (6-9 mcg,) occasional pregnenelone, aspirin, progest-e before (experimenting with 3 drops before bed the past few nights which seems to help me sleep deeper without any anti-androgenic signs so far.)

Thank you

RP:
I think the ratio of cortisol to DHEA is more useful than estrogen and testosterone by themselves.

ME:
Are there specific type of each test that are better to get?

(i.e- DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone), Unconjugated, LC/MS/MS or DHEA, s (Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate) Hormone)
CORTISOL: (i.e- Total cortisol, from saliva, etc)

The labs that I can order from seem to have an assortment of choices that make it more confusing.

Thank you

RP:
Serum cortisol, not saliva. I think the unconjugated DHEA, rather than DHEAS, is better, if they have the normal range for it, but the DHEAS would be second choice.

I'll update this once I get the tests done and report back to him for his suggestions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals