Home > Resources, Diet, Testimonials, Logs > Ray Peat Resources & Quotes > Email Advice > Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

1. *applause for brilliant idea*

Admin Edit to add comment below:

2. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Good work Charlie!

Thats not a bad List of safe fruits including the watermelon (Which I eat a lot of). Couple that with the canned fruits and you have a decent amount of variety.

3. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

The only fruits available to me out of that list are papaya and applesauce. I've never even heard of half of them.

4. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

ITA with Kelly - I am going to have to look up pictures of guanabana and corossol so I know what to search for at the market :mrgreen:
    I thought about going to a local Asian market since they generally have more unique items than the standard grocer.

The hunt is on!

5. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Wow, thank you so very much Cliff, Charlie and all contributors for this wonderful resource! So very helpful for new people especially although I am sure all will benefit.

6. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

How does one get in touch with Peat?

7. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Hmmm was wondering about infra red e.g. Infrared sauna. I was wondering if it might be useful for detox purposes.

8. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Thanks J.

I appreciate anyones help who is able to contribute to it.

Thanks KB! Glad you are feeling better! :rockout

You are very welcome, Sunjoy. :ugeek:

Google "Ray Peat contact".

Absolutely it is.

9. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

J thanks for posting the last couple of exchanges. I really need to stay on top of the carrot salad. I tend to slack on it.

10. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Great idea. Thanks to Charlie and everyone contributing emails.

11. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

I'm allergic to loratadine, I'm thinking about experimenting with certrezine hydrochloride though.

12. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

How the hell did he manage a gallon of milk a day?

13. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Sometimes I'm lazy and don't go out to buy things and just have orange juice, milk, eggs, and coconut oil. I can easily drink 3 or 4 quarts of milk that way (with coffee and/or chocolate).

14. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I manage 2 quarts milk on a good day, do you take in a lot of salt or solid food?

15. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I put salt on eggs. If I just eat the four things I mentioned, I'd probably eat 3 eggs, one in the afternoon. Otherwise, I just take some salt by itself after or before OJ. I think my record is a bit less than 5 quarts of milk. That after happened many months of doing Peat correctly, when metabolism accelerated. I do have between 2 and 3 quarts of milk typically.

16. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Aha I see, so you only salt eggs and around OJ, not your milk?

17. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Yeah, but that doesn't matter, right? I guess OJ has potassium, which is usually balanced with sodium.

18. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Yes, I was just trying to work out how I can consume more liquids. Thanks for the info. Do you not eat carrots?

19. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Like three times a week, when I remember. But it's good. It improves transit, and if I understand correctly, also helps the liver to convert more T4 to T3, because it takes a burden from the liver by absorbing estrogen from the intestine, releasing the liver from having to deactivate it.

Also, I can drink about 0.5 liters per milk in a few minutes, maybe 5, because I have to add coffee and chocolate and spend time doing that. But then I have to take a break, maybe for half an hour, and have 0.250 liters. If the break is much longer, I can have another 0.5 liters. But this might be very individual.

20. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

It's easy to drink over a gallon if you don't drink water

21. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I've not drank water in months, just oj/milk/coca cola.

22. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

dietf***ed, welcome to the forum! :greenwave

Thank you for posting those email exchanges!

23. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I think you've got the wrong thread, Charlie. :D

24. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Nope. :mrgreen:

This thread is for the discussion on what is posted in the email depository thread. The email depository thread is for email deposits ONLY.

Confused yet? :lol:

25. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Interesting, thanks for posting.

26. Thank you Lucy, some interesting bits in there.

27. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

This! After adequate, clean protein, pregnenolone has been the best for me. I've gotta send Ray some money to say thanks.

28. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Thanks, j. I had heard him say 1mg of vit K for each 325 mg aspirin. That seems like so much K. In this quote he's recommending much less vit K. I appreciate seeing there is a range there.

29. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

But note that that person only consumes 89mg of aspirin three times a week.

30. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

I would like to see these organised by category, I would be happy to do this as I have some free time going but after the first batch I wouldn't be able to update :? Your thoughts Charlie?

31. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

I'm not Charlie but another possibility is to organize them in another thread and leave this part as is.

32. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Yes, that was my thoughts. A separate thread where there is just one, long first post that is updated when new ones are added here. Sort of like "Ray Peats Brain" on Danny Roddys website.

33. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Yeah, I just don't understand why someone would want to read just some of Ray's responses and not all. :D

34. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

It wasn't my idea to limit what people read of Peat, rather if I wanted to find out what Ray had specifically replied to people about, say, taking thyroid, it would be more convenient to have lots of different responses and thoughts grouped together than spread out across the forum, although I can see why people would argue it is not necessary.

35. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

It was meant as a joke, it's a good idea to sort it.

36. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I think its a good idea too.

37. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Sorry I didn't pick up on it.

Charlie - I am happy to sort all the ones in this thread however you would have to update it after that due to the editing time limit. I don't want to create more effort for you though. Do you know if there is a character limit on posts?

38. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

The updating would be fine, if its all already done it would just be a simple cut and paste for me. There is a character limit but I can make that whatever I want.

39. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I was thinking we could make a special section for this down where the articles, audio, etc are. Just make one post, with all the emails, sorted.

40. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

That's a good list. I guess it is worth asking, although they are Peats words, so not really owned my anyone. I recognised a few answers to some of my emails in there.

41. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

When you quote from a private email from Peat do you ask his permission first? Has anyone ever asked his permission? I know many people have quoted him and it's in order to help others, but I felt funny doing so without asking him first, so stopped. Thoughts?

42. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

If there is no private information, I don't think it's a problem.

43. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Chris, are you going to be able to organize the emails? Just was wondering if you were still interested in doing that? I think I have an idea on how we can post it up once it's all organized.

44. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I have not had the chance but will give it a go over the next couple of weeks. What's your idea? Drop me a PM.

45. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Just wanted to say, thanks for posting the information.

46. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

has there been any discussion of this elsewhere?

taken from he RP Email Depository

Lucy wrote:
    Peat told me this in regards to thyroid causing a high metabolic rate:

Ray Peat wrote:
    "About your high metabolic rate and high temperature: In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories. Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol. They cause fat and protein to be burned for energy, while in hypothyroidism, glucose can still be used inefficiently for glycolysis, producing lactic acid, displacing bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. This causes mineral imbalances, with effects including cramps and nerve-muscle tension, which produce heat and waste energy. When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium, during the time when the dose is increasing, and when the mineral balance is restored your temperature and metabolic rate might decrease a little. Orange juice, milk, and coffee are good for the main minerals, while salting your food to taste."

Ray Peat wrote:
    "Supplementing thyroid can sometimes reduce the rate of metabolism, by allowing cells to retain enough magnesium, which stabilizes ATP."

47. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I'm also curious about your idea, Charlie. When I started getting into Peat, I thought a wiki/tagging system would be useful, since sometimes a particular quote belongs in multiple categories. Plus "wikipeatia.com" is available, which is almost too good to pass up :D

48. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Dan, my idea was actually pretty lame I think. :lol:

Basically make a new thread, in the first post put all the links to each category of emails. Then in the rest of the posts, for each post it would be a certain category, say like, orange juice for example. All the emails for orange juice would be in that post. The very first post would contain the direct link to the post of orange juice emails. Does that make sense? Lame, I know. But effective maybe. Whomever was in charge of the project could be given edit rights to go in and add new emails as needed to whatever category.

49. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I think somebody should create something like a post rating/thread rating system, so if one wants to see the most useful information/threads, it's easy to do that. It seems hard though, I don't know what strategy one could use.

I'm ot talking about the up voting system where one "likes" one post, because someone could like a post because it's funny or something, where I'm interesting in a high rating from a nutrition knowledge perspective.

50. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

J, I am going to attempt to install the thanks system again in the future soon as I get some extra time. I do think it would be useful.

I will also be moving the email depository to its own section in the future.

51. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Oh, and not really a Ray Peat quote, but from Trader Joe's:

Does any of the Trader Joe's brand orange juice contain added enzymes or flavors?
    Do you also know if the orange juice from concentrate has water with fluoride added to it?

Thank you for contacting us! None of our Trader Joe's Orange Juice varieties will contain added enzymes or flavor packets. Each of our products will be made with different ingredients, including water, therefore we cannot answer your fluoride inquiry specifically unless you have a specific TJ'S product in mind.

52. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

From the email thread:

Carrot Salad:
    Just chewing a carrot is best, any saturated fat around the same time is o.k. What doesn't work very well is to grind the carrot very fine.

Maybe that's why I bailed on shredded carrot, I never really liked it. And I was all proud of how my 25 year old Kitchenaid machine made such fine shreds. Just eating a carrot dipped in CO is what I've been doing, feeling like I was a slacker. :): Whew, I feel like a new man!

53. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Yeh I always try to chew them up as best as possible. Oops! :lol:

54. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Nice work, eminions. Interesting that you just said "flavors" and they replied with "flavor packets".

I've been meaning to send the same inquiry to Whole Foods and Harris Teeter, you've inspired me to get off my arse and do so.

55. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Just a quick note. Now that the email depository has it's own section. Feel free to start your own thread about a particular email exchange if you like. Or, just keep it in this thread if you want.

Please keep continuing to deposit the emails in the depository thread though. Eventually we are going to get around to categorizing it somehow. And remember you can always search the email thread for a specific keyword by using the search function that is located right about the threads.

A big thanks to everyone who has deposited emails. I am sure they are helping a bunch of people!

56. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

It would be nice if there were a place where all these Peat suggested supplements and special foods were listed along with everything Ray Peat has said about them that anyone has. Also, maybe problems anyone has had with any of them.
    I wonder what sort of vitamin E should be used for this. I have some that is in soy bean oil. I guess E has to be in a PUFA oil?
    I am too confused about supplements to attempt using them.

57. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

A guy took 1000 mg of progesterone per day? :shock:

58. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I don't understand the information about ferrous and ferric iron in meat in the email advice depository. It was said that fresh meat contained the bad form of iron, and older meat the better form? I thought Peat thought fresh meat was better and not aged meat. Or is that wrong? Not that you can get fresh meat at the grocery store. The beef is aged from what I understand.

59. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Maybe no matter how digestible the food, the digestive tract may not be that efficient at digesting it. Even with foods that give me no obvious digestive problem, I get signs that all is not digesting well, like mood problems and hot flashes and weird fuel oil smells in my nose. I wish I understood all this better.

60. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

The above comment referred to a comment in the RP depository. I got mixed up and commented there, but I am really tired and muddled now and can't think straight. So, I will have to leave it as is for now.

61. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

No worries. :D

62. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Thanks for commenting on my post in RP email depository about cascara.

I don't have any obvious signs of digestions problems either when I eat milk, OJ, meat etc. To the contrary, the symptoms of poor digestions like stuffed nose and post-meal sluggishness are absent on this diet. But I do notice that the transit time is rather irregular, and Cascara will make it very regular, in addition to improving hypothyroid symptoms that none other measures has done before.

63. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

That's interesting! I guess it just helps things work that much better. I'm beginning to realize my digestion must really be off, because I have allergy type reactions to many foods, and also sluggishness and depression after very much protein. I get smell distortions and fuel oil smell in my nose after many foods. I wonder if the weird smell may actually be from bacterial fermentation of some sort. Maybe it is mostly a histamine reaction. I don't know. I'll have to keep trying the cascara. Thanks!

64. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

jyb, what is your source of cascara?

65. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Oops! I goofed! Trying to transport this quote someplace else.

(Moved for you! 4ps)

66. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

jyb wrote-

"Trying to understand why I got some positive effects from cascara, a lot more than carrot or many other pro-thyroid suggestions:

"I think cascara's most important effect is the reduction of the
    pro-inflammatory nitric oxide, which poisons mitochondrial energy
    production. Raw carrot or bamboo shoots can sometimes have a similar
    effect by reducing NO synthesis."

It doesn't entirely answer my question, because I don't see why other pro-thyroid measures wouldn't have reduced NO as well. I eat very digestible foods and not expecting endotoxin to be present in excess, and since NO seems to be caused by endotoxin, I don't know where NO comes from and why cascara specifically was efficient."

Other causes of NO synthesis and release-

"Besides endotoxin, estrogen, vibrational injury, radiation, aging, cold, and hypoosmolarity, increase NO synthesis and release, and increase cellular permeabilities throughout the body.
    Estrogen excess (relative to progesterone and androgens), as in pregnancy, stress, and aging, reduces intestinal motility, probably by increasing nitric oxide production
    . The anthraquinones inhibit the formation of nitric oxide, which is constantly being promoted by endotoxin." (Bold mine)

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

67. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

The Farmalabor one.

68. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Thanks. I need to work on getting me some.

69. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Me too. I'm just worried I might have to fly to Italy to get it. :cry:

70. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I have a way to get it just need to start the process. So many things on my plate right now though. In due time.

71. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Um, this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but how are you all contacting Ray Peat? I can't seem to find his email address anywhere. If I need to pay for a consultation I'd be happy to do that.

72. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Yes, you posted in the thread where we put email exchanges with Ray Peat so I moved it over the the discussion thread for comments.

To answer your question, Ray Peat used to have a contact form on his website that people used to contact him and he would respond by email. That page no longer exists so and I am not aware of any other way to contact him.

I think it was taken down due to the large volume of email he was receiving.

73. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Well, it contains things like -dextrose sugars, which are corn derived and may contain heavy metals - see an email exchange of mine a few pages ago.

74. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository: Chlorine or Fluorine

He gave me this research: (omitted)

Hi Charlie,

Sorry if I missed the point but does Peat say Benadryl is not a good choice, as the other one you had asked him about? What is a good alternative that wouldn't have the chloride issue? I hope it doesn't require a prescription, whatever it is. I have been taking 1 Benadryl per night for some skin allergy stuff. If you can make a better recommendation, I'd appreciate knowing. :)

75. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Organic Coffee

Charlie,

I never knew Peat had commented on organic coffee vs non before. I drink a lot of coffee that is non-organic. How important do you think it is to drink organic? Do you drink organic-only? Is there a discussion anywhere on the forum more about this than what I've linked above? Thanks! :)

76. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

ive had alot of email with RP regarding this issue and he says using 4 tsp baking soda a day in addition to the foods/salty foods you are eating is good for hypothyroid people. So thats a good amount of sodium to get in :)

77. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

How do we send a msg to ray pete or get a msg answered by ray pete? Its important. Thanks a million

78. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

I've lost the email but a while ago I asked Ray about low libido/testosterone.
    He said that in hypothyroidism, stress hormones often increase at the expense of testosterone. He recommended regular consumption of milk and fruits, and strict avoidance of PUFA.

79. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

@Mittir How do you make your sugar syrup?

80. Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Half cup of sugar with some water till it is little over the sugar level
    and then add 1-2 tsp of lemon juice (this part is optional, but it helps
    with breakdown of sugar) microwave 1 minute or more.

81. Very interestind Dan, perhaps a current between the skin and the tip of the tooth should provide the correct direction to the growth.

82. Dan, thank you for posting the recent teeth/gums email to the wiki. :hattip

That actually gave me an idea, I am thinking we should feed all the "Email Advice" we have collected here on the forum, into the "Peatarian.com Email Exchanges" located at the wiki, and just rename it "Email Exchanges" or whatever we come up with.

If anyone is up to that task, that would be surely helpful to many people. :hattip

83. Probably not the correct thread but if anyone can contact Peat, PLEASE ask him for his thoughts on how to get rid of helicobacter pylori.

84. In this context, are glucose and fructose congruent?

85. [ moderator edit: response to this post: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository | Page 3 | Ray Peat Forum ]

I find it to be otherway around, heh. I never did graduate, but mathematicians, that I don't know many, tbh, were all, kind, curious, interesting and supporting people. I would say that they were very much opposite what you and Peat are describing. They acknowledge that everyone has potential to learn maths at young age and that education is rigid and all that. Not very much involved in "real life" usually, if not to protect and develop education. They may undervalue applied sciences and even applied maths, though mainly they just don't have interest for that. Many practise music etc. They respect hard work and collaboration rather than intelligence (as in mythical IQ, or mensa etc.), which may be suprise at the beginning and on the contrary to schools and culture prior uni (ofc there are great mathematicians that are admired). I don't think people pursue math for it's "rigidity", but generally they enjoy the beauty and freedom of it. Creating math is very much exploration and intuition, bound only by your imagination. But I guess mathematicians may seem odd folk to outsiders.

I don't know, but it sounds like you are just starting your studies?

86. Guys, why is Dr. Peat contact info kept a secret? I don't find it on his website and no one here is willing to share it..

87. because way to many people are lazy and will spam him and use his time with questions he has answered 99999 times before and are available to get from the forum or through the search engine or his articles

88. I'm surprised he would recommend progesterone to a young boy.

The way even a small dose of progesterone shrinks my penis and testicles and gives me feminine traits would make me think progesterone, at that young age of still developing, could cause some big changes in regards to changes in gender identity, virility, personality, etc.

Maybe the benefits would outweigh the side-effects though, in the case of something as serious as brain injury

89. Dear Dookie
    (FWIW) I agree, but suspect in acute injury progesterone is more valid.
    This case is chronic and of long standing.
    Sheila

90. Exactly! Finally, I get Ray to indirectly agree with my findings :):
    Pregnenolone is itself anti-estrogenic and also converts to progesterone locally, which helps even more to prevent DHEA from converting to estrogen. Also, contrary to what many people have read on some blogs, neither pregnenolone nor progesterone are inhibitors of the enzyme 5-AR. Quite to the contrary actually. Both pregnenolone and progesterone powerfully stimulate the downstream conversion of steroids and BOTH specifically enhance activity of 5-AR, so taken with DHEA both pregnenolone and progesterone will increase conversion of DHEA into DHT. Btw, the isolated conversion of DHEA into DHT is already about 40%, and adding pregnenolone / progesterone seems to increase it to 60% - 70%, which makes Pansterone probably the most potent androgenic supplement legally obtainable in the USA. Just make sure it is spread on larger skin area to increase the amount of skin cells getting supply of the steroids. The skin has even higher capacity to manufacture DHT compared to the liver and brain, but that capacity is spread over a larger area, so Pansterone needs to be spread over a larger area to maximize that conversion potential.
    Just my 2c.

91. I think the acidity of the mouth is important. Dr. Peat sted somehwere that saliva quality helps to regulate acidity.

However one look at Dr. Peat's teeth and it is hard to take to heart anything he might recommend for "white teeth".

That said, I don't think synthetic white glowy teeth are actually important in a healthy organism, so long as they are being structurally maintained by calcium.

92. i've been taking the same amount and have had very dry skin as well. i thought it was something different. how have you made out? also i've had joint aches, i wonder if it is related, i thought it was gout.

93. LOL. I'll take that as a yes...

94. What would his response mean in terms of Tyromax? Anyone?

95. Very interesting for someone using it as the main solvent for his supplements.

96. I am posting here because I have lost the exact reply Peat sent me, so I will paraphrase and hope this helps someone in the future.

My problem was with jock itch, a very annoying problem. I didn't want to use regular anti-fungal creams and attempting more alternative things such as applying coconut oil to the area, which some websites hailed as an amazing treatment, did nothing. In fact the issue was getting worse. I emailed Peat and asked him about it and his response was (paraphrased, from memory)

Many years ago I took sulfur baths, which solved the problem. (I think he may have made a comment about smell, or scent, which I have forgotten)

After this response I ordered a cheap 10% sulfur soap from Amazon and lathered it up in my hands at the end of the bath, applied to the area and waited a few minutes outside of water with it on, before washing off. It resolved the problem in 3-4 washes. About 2 weeks later I noticed the issue coming back, a slight sensation, one final "treatment" as I described above completely got rid of it and around a year later now, it has not come back. Hope this helps someone reading and searching for jock itch, fungal infections or rash remedies in the future!