Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

Regina

In Big Bend? That is seriously wonderful.

I was looking at property as far west as Alpine & even Fort Stockton. But I forget sometimes how big TX is. It’s really remote out there. And that’s not all bad.:thumbup:
The idea that there is an over population problem is ludicrous.
Maybe the whole plandemic and smart cities has been a giant psyop to get people to flee the high density areas and populate anywhere else. Take your pick.
There is barely anyone anywhere.

Rafe

Marfa TX has a reputation as an elite, world-recognized art tourism Mecca. Articles about it always sneer at its hipnique cultural side. I’m talking a little out of school here. The median price of a home there right now is $462k & it is a destination for wealthy art collectors & culture icons worldwide.

There are more stealth places south of there. I don’t know how you’d water herds or a food forest there. One listing I just looked at had 96 acres for sale for 79kUSD. Problem: can’t truck water in from more than 5mi. But I don’t know what “can’t” means in that listing.

Maybe the whole plandemic and smart cities has been a giant psyop to get people to flee the high density areas and populate anywhere else. Take your pick.
There is barely anyone anywhere.

My mind has taken me there, too! Weird when that happens. Lot of dark sky out in Big Bend.

cardochav

I took the “NW” to be a slight mistake. Big Bend does have some altitude, highest point is 7800ft. But Big Bend is extremely remote. I doubt he meant the Panhandle, it’s very flat.

I think he meant the Texas Hill Country on this map.

Maybe he meant NW Hill Country around where Patrick Timpone lives, like Marble Falls area all the way to Mason or Menard. But elevation isn't all that high' around 2000 -2400 ft.

Lollipop2

Maybe he meant NW Hill Country around where Patrick Timpone lives, like Marble Falls area all the way to Mason or Menard. But elevation isn't all that high' around 2000 -2400 ft.
@Lejeboca @Rafe this could be correct. He has been doing those shows with Timpone.

BUT Also NW Tx say as in Lubbock has a fairly high elevation. I looked it up: Elevation :

978m / 3209feet​

cardochav

@Lejeboca @Rafe this could be correct. He has been doing those shows with Timpone.

BUT Also NW Tx say as in Lubbock has a fairly high elevation. I looked it up: Elevation :

978m / 3209feet​

Having grown up in Carlsbad, NM and spending a lot of time in and around Lubbock I can say the air quality, dry wind, dust, and chemical ag industry would probably offset any of the positives from the higher elevation. We used to occasionally get milk from a local dairy near Lubbock and the milk was really gross, especially compared to the milk I get here in the hill country. Animals aren't very healthy in the Lubbock area.

Last edited:

aniciete

I took the “NW” to be a slight mistake. Big Bend does have some altitude, highest point is 7800ft. But Big Bend is extremely remote. I doubt he meant the Panhandle, it’s very flat.

I think he meant the Texas Hill Country on this map.
Any specific regions you recommend for something young looking to move to Texas? I’ve been having a hard time navigating considering the state is so big and seeing so many mixed opinions on the best “cities”.

Lollipop2

Having grown up in Carlsbad, NM and spending a lot of time in and around Lubbock I can say the air quality, dry wind, dust, and chemical ag industry would probably offset any of the positives from the higher elevation. We used to occasionally get milk from a local dairy near Lubbock and the milk was really gross, especially compared to the milk I get here in the hill country. Animals aren't very healthy in the Lubbock area.
I believe it! Lubbock does not seem like a healthy area. The hill country seems like a much healthier, pleasant area.

Rafe

@cardochav That makes sense that he means NW Hill Country. Timpone is in Dripping Springs.

You know where to get raw milk in Kerrville? The only place I’ve seen is the Red Door Farm at the farmers’ market. And they advertise only cheese. I’m coming over tomorrow.

@aniciete Austin or San Antonio for dating.

The Hill Country is mostly older people that bugged out in the 1970s or snowbirds. But that means generational change soon. Younger couples are starting to show up more as they leave the big cities or they inherit their parents’ properties. It is growing pretty fast so you might look even further west if you want property.

P

Peatness

milk_lover

I poured plain hot water through an unbleached coffee filter paper as instruction by Dr Peat and noticed the water was slightly tainted. Makes me wonder what's coming off the filter paper. These are the ones I use

Amazon product ASIN B087QHCQ1JView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coffee-Filter-Unbleached-EDESIA-ESPRESS/dp/B087QHCQ1J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=365SL4O2CZ7K2&keywords=unbleached%2Bfilter%2Bpapers&qid=1649160784&sprefix=un%2Bbleached%2Bfil%2Caps%2C967&sr=8-3&th=1
I will always hear recommendations from coffee people to pass hot water for pour-over coffee to remove the paper taste. Some coffee filters are very thin like aeropress, so there is probably less of the paper taste. I am not sure if the paper taste corresponds to the toxicity of the paper.

P

Peatness

I will always hear recommendations from coffee people to pass hot water for pour-over coffee to remove the paper taste. Some coffee filters are very thin like aeropress, so there is probably less of the paper taste. I am not sure if the paper taste corresponds to the toxicity of the paper.
To be honest I've never tasted the paper

milk_lover

To be honest I've never tasted the paper
then probably passing hot water once or twice until the water is clear could filter out any material in the processed paper. I personally do that for V60 all the time but I don't bother with it for the aeropress.

P

Peatness

then probably passing hot water once or twice until the water is clear could filter out any material in the processed paper. I personally do that for V60 all the time but I don't bother with it for the aeropress.
Good idea

cardochav

@aniciete I would say anywhere west of Austin and San Antonio. I think there are more young people west of Austin than west of San Antonio, and definitely, the closer to the city the younger the pop.

@Rafe Yeah every other Monday Miller Farms from Lacoste has a drop, so we usually get two weeks worth, delicious milk. And be sure to visit while you're here!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Marfa TX has a reputation as an elite, world-recognized art tourism Mecca. Articles about it always sneer at its hipnique cultural side. I’m talking a little out of school here. The median price of a home there right now is $462k & it is a destination for wealthy art collectors & culture icons worldwide.

There are more stealth places south of there. I don’t know how you’d water herds or a food forest there. One listing I just looked at had 96 acres for sale for 79kUSD. Problem: can’t truck water in from more than 5mi. But I don’t know what “can’t” means in that listing.

My mind has taken me there, too! Weird when that happens. Lot of dark sky out in Big Bend.
Yes, when we visited I preferred Alpine. My daughter’s rent is more than my mortgage.

Ledo

I poured plain hot water through an unbleached coffee filter paper as instruction by Dr Peat and noticed the water was slightly tainted. Makes me wonder what's coming off the filter paper. These are the ones I use

Amazon product ASIN B087QHCQ1JView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coffee-Filter-Unbleached-EDESIA-ESPRESS/dp/B087QHCQ1J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=365SL4O2CZ7K2&keywords=unbleached%2Bfilter%2Bpapers&qid=1649160784&sprefix=un%2Bbleached%2Bfil%2Caps%2C967&sr=8-3&th=1
The brown non-clorinated filters do loose some material from hot water passing through. Its actually easy to see if you use a mag glass and a good eye. There is no doubt it will end up in the coffee so I have been dealing with it in a way i find acceptable and quick.

I run hot water to the tap and put the pull out head on hard spray and blast the filter while holding it cupped in my hand. Then by compressing not twisting, I squeeze out the hot water then turn the faucet to cold and wait until it runs cold and rinse the filter again and finally squeezing out the water for the last time

Hot water tanks are notorious for heavy metal contamination especially if old.

P

Peatness

The brown non-clorinated filters do loose some material from hot water passing through. Its actually easy to see if you use a mag glass and a good eye. There is no doubt it will end up in the coffee so I have been dealing with it in a way i find acceptable and quick.

I run hot water to the tap and put the pull out head on hard spray and blast the filter while holding it cupped in my hand. Then by compressing not twisting, I squeeze out the hot water then turn the faucet to cold and wait until it runs cold and rinse the filter again and finally squeezing out the water for the last time

Hot water tanks are notorious for heavy metal contamination especially if old.
Your method sounds interesting. I place the paper in this and pour hot water over it before using.

1649423804800.png

Ledo

Sure the problem may not be mitigated very well though as you are likely to use just a small amount of water because heating an extra large volume is time consuming, and it is not applied under pressure.

So the question becomes how much unstable material is still left behind with using a small amount of water with no forced spray available at the sink that will come out when you do the pour with coffee?

I am pretty sure the method I described leaves the filter in stable state for the coffee pour.

Happy coffee drinking!

@Pina

P

Peatness

Thank you @Ledo but if I had to apply a magnifying glass to this issue I would simply give up drinking coffee.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals