Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

P

Peatness

The discussion thread can be found here

Regina

I’ve never actually used a nebuliser. I’ve got some lidocaine powder - forgive the naïveté but is it easy to go from pure powder to nebuliser ready, lol. How does one do it?
I'm clueless on nebulizers (and lidocaine) :dummy1:

Birdie

Thx for posting this.
Whenever Dr Peat mentions lidocaine, I think, "well, how would this be taken?"
Hopefully somebody will ask him how to mix it for the nebulizer. I've done searches and it seems a pre-mix is being used. Either 2% or 4%.... Maybe Ray has explained how he uses it somewhere and I missed it.

rayban

Q: Hello Mr. Peat,
What do you think is the best way to store olive oil?
Thank you .

A: Refrigerated.

Q: Okay thank you!

Do you think it makes sense to throw away the part of the oil that doesn't become solid in the fridge?

A: I don’t know; is the taste different?

Q: I haven't tried it personally. But I will ask the person who told me and get back to you.

(Later)
I havent heard back from him yet.

But I tried it out myself and the olive oil got completely solid at 5°C in the fridge. It looks like green coconut oil. There's not a single drop coming out of the bottle.
Does that mean its fats are very saturated?

Have you seen that before with olive oil?
It's a new kind of olive oil that I use . I put my old one in the fridge to see if it will become solid as well.

A: Mine does completely solidify at that that temperature. If they use a solvent to extract more oil after the first pressing, it will contain more PUFA. Also, the FDA found that an extremely high percentage if the olive oil sold in the US has been adulterated with cheaper things such as soy oil.

Q: Okay, thanks!

The other oil has been in the fridge for half the day and hasn't become solid, at all. So I think I won't buy that one again.

What do you think about olive oil as a skin care product against dry skin or wrinkles? There's some old people that swear by that.

A: Good olive oil is good for the skin.

Q: Do you have any favorite olives? I've read that koroneiki olives have a good amount of policosanol in it.

Speaking of policosanol: in my new olive oil there's a white mist/sediment, could that be the long chain saturated fatty acids?

A: I like all olives. I doubt that saturated fat would separate.

Q: Okay .

Do you think any olive oil would become solid if you leave it in the fridge long enough ?

My older olive oil eventually did become solid ,it just took a lot longer than my new one.

Here's what the person told me about pouring the liquid part away :

"I tried my DIY pufa reduced olive oil on my carrot salad and the usual slightly bitter taste has disappeared. Positively surprised."

A: That suggests that it’s reducing the PUFA conent of what’s left.

I don't know anyone that stores EVOO in refrigerator.

Mauritio

I asked him if I could use saturated fat as fuel because I'm having reactive hypoglycemia to carbs and was concerned if fats clog the arteries here is his response:

RP: Saturated fats are protective; declining thyroid function causes LDL cholesterol to rise, and is an important cause of hypoglycemia, because of failure to store enough glycogen. Eating too much protein can cause declining thyroid function.
The last comment on protein beeing potentialy anti-metabolic is interesting.

Also an earlier comment that he doesnt sleep through the night, but gets up to eat is interesting .

Lejeboca

Ray:
High, sunny places like Santa Fe, NM, are as expensive as California, and can be very cold; Santa Barbara grows some tropical fruit, otheriwise, cities with big universities usually have some for their international students. The “hill country” of NW Texas has a compromise altitude and weather and nice scenery, but not much else. The lowest latitude places in the US, i.e., Florida, are unlivably hot and humid for many people. For fruit, goat milk, altitude, weather, and costs, there are thousands of good places in Mexico.

I've heard Ray mentioning the "hill country" in the NW of Texas. I wasn't sure whether it either extends that much or there is more than one. I know of the one in South Central Texas near San Antonio. Now I've looked it up and wiki points to only one (the latter) . Am I missing anything?

LocationCentral Texas, United States
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
30°10′27″N 99°03′55″W
Elevation980–2,460 ft (300–750 m)

Vileplume

I've heard Ray mentioning the "hill country" in the NW of Texas. I wasn't sure whether it either extends that much or there is more than one. I know of the one in South Central Texas near San Antonio. Now I've looked it up and wiki points to only one (the latter) . Am I missing anything?

Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
30°10′27″N 99°03′55″W
I think the location you posted is the official “hill country” of Texas, at least that’s what Google brings up when I search the phrase.

But I’m not totally sure that’s what Peat means, since that location is actually in the southern half of Texas. The northwest bar of the state, cities like Lubbock and Amarillo, get up over 3000 feet, so he might be referring to them.

Birdie

Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
30°10′27″N 99°03′55″W
At lease here, on the email depository, Ray does not recommend the Hill Country:

The “hill country” of NW Texas has a compromise altitude and weather and nice scenery, but not much else.

Lejeboca

I think the location you posted is the official “hill country” of Texas, at least that’s what Google brings up when I search the phrase.

But I’m not totally sure that’s what Peat means, since that location is actually in the southern half of Texas. The northwest bar of the state, cities like Lubbock and Amarillo, get up over 3000 feet, so he might be referring to them.
That was my question too.
I have not heard of other "hill country" in TX but the one next to SAN. Calling on members whom I know are from/in TX to weigh in: @Rafe @Lollipop2 -- could you help resolve my confusion?

Rafe

I took the “NW” to be a slight mistake. Big Bend does have some altitude, highest point is 7800ft. But Big Bend is extremely remote. I doubt he meant the Panhandle, it’s very flat.

I think he meant the Texas Hill Country on this map.

Attachments

• 1649027220661.gif
    1649027220661.gif
    43.9 KB · Views: 28

Lejeboca

I took the “NW” to be a slight mistake. Big Bend does have some altitude, highest point is 7800ft. But Big Bend is extremely remote. I doubt he meant the Panhandle, it’s very flat.

I think he meant the Texas Hill Country on this map.
Thanks, Rafe! Makes sense to me now. Thanks for the map too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Rafe, my daughter lives in the chihuahua desert. It seems really nice when I’ve visited a couple times.

Rafe

@Rafe, my daughter lives in the chihuahua desert. It seems really nice when I’ve visited a couple times.
In Big Bend? That is seriously wonderful.

I was looking at property as far west as Alpine & even Fort Stockton. But I forget sometimes how big TX is. It’s really remote out there. And that’s not all bad.:thumbup:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
In Big Bend? That is seriously wonderful.

I was looking at property as far west as Alpine & even Fort Stockton. But I forget sometimes how big TX is. It’s really remote out there. And that’s not all bad.:thumbup:
She’s in Marfa which is about a half hour drive from Alpine. It was pretty nice when I was there during the spring and fall.

Lejeboca

Marfa’s a happening art scene. Nice!!
The elevation is good enough too 4,685 ft (1,428 m). If there is enough water to grow some fruit and have a ruminant animal, we should organize a peaty community there :cool: I'd be up for a trip to check it out at least.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals