Ray Peat Eats Fried Chicken Wings?

Logan-

In the first "One Radio Network" podcast, Ray Peat said he eats fried chicken wings, If I remember correctly. I wouldn't expect Ray to eat chicken wings (high in pufa), especially frying them, which accelerates and intensifies lipid peroxidation.

What do you think about Ray's statement?

Last edited:

Collden

Perhaps frying PUFAs at high temperature can turn them into CLA which is protective.

B

Braveheart

fried chicken wings are big source of gelatin... fried in coconut oil most likely....what's the problem?

TeaRex14

If I'm not mistaken, and I may be, because he's a hard man to keep up with, but doesn't Ray live in Mexico? He probably has access to chickens fed their natural insect diet. They won't contain as much PUFA, plus their vitamin E status will be higher. And cooking them in coconut oil dilutes the PUFAs with protective fats. Probably nothing wrong with this when eaten infrequently. I do the same thing with chicken feet, great source of gelatin.

2v9grk.jpg

miki14

Wings are rather low in fat. Chicken legs and chest are very fatty. Frying allows to drip off a lot of fat. Occationally eating well sourced chicken is ok.

milk_lover

When I was in Texas, I used to eat spicy fried chicken wings that were cooked in beef tallow. They were delicious. I don't do it now because of PUFA obviously.

ddjd

hes also not a fan of the tryptophan in chicken i think

OP
L

Logan-

hes also not a fan of the tryptophan in chicken i think

Also the low calcium to phosphate ratio of the chicken meat:

"The problem with chicken is that the fat is highly unsaturated, and the meat provides very little calcium." – Ray Peat (email exchange)

By the way, chicken has even more tryptophan per gram than turkey.

Last edited:

paymanz

he says that . tryptophan and Ca to P ratio of chicken is not much different than red meat as i remember.

i think only problem with chicken is pufa and probably allergens?! maybe, because of bad foods they it.

the good thing about chicken is that it has much less carnitine than red meat.

Risingfire

The man is in his 80’s. He can take testosterone and eat chicken wings if he wants.

tallglass13

he said he eats bacon as well, but always re-fries it in coconut to displace the PUFA's..I have been doing the same when I eat those. Makes bacon taste even better.

Birdie

Not much meat or fat on the wings. As everyone says, the coconut oil counteracts the little pufa you’d find in the wings.
If I tolerated coconut oil, would have these occasionally for sure. Good idea.

Wonder if he munches the bones a bit.

Douglas Ek

Also I like to add that even a person like Ray Peat might eat some ”forbidden” foods. What’s the problem?
Just a great example how he says one thing and eveyone is like die hard for it. Stop obsessing eating a fried chicken wing once in awhile. If you’re overall health is good and you dig chicken wings then go ahead and eat one. Life is supposed to be enjoyed.

B

Braveheart

Also I like to add that even a person like Ray Peat might eat some ”forbidden” foods. What’s the problem?
Just a great example how he says one thing and eveyone is like die hard for it. Stop obsessing eating a fried chicken wing once in awhile. If you’re overall health is good and you dig chicken wings then go ahead and eat one. Life is supposed to be enjoyed.
:thumbsup:

Beastmode

Not to revive the "chicken wing" thread, but I just tried this for the first after not eating chicken for 3 years and it was amazing.

It was like the old days eating them at restaurants.....minus the feeling like ***t afterward......so :)

The ultimate test for me is my sleep at night when trying new things.