Ray Peat Diet Vs Elimination Diet

redlight

What do you think about a ray peat diet vs an elimination diet (AIP, GAPS, paleo) for the treatment of autoimmune disease..

Elmination diet is simple you do a very restrictive diet then reintroduce foods 1 at time to see which one causes problems..

Im diving back and forth between ray peat and strict elimination diet

Tenacity

Why not try both? A restrictive diet of Peaty foods, and introduce foods to see which cause problems. I do this in my daily life, not to treat any illness but to test and experiment with my reactions to food - the same daily diet, tweaking a few things here and there as new information or experiences come to light.

OP
R

redlight

The main difference is AIP says to restrict fructose to under 20g a day which is just a few pieces of fruit....they say fructose causes inflammation and blood sugar imbalances which would interfere with healing of the gut...

is there any truth in this? should people with autoimmune disease really limit fructose?

Tenacity

Why not experiment and see? If fructose were to cause you or anyone else gut inflammation, you'd be able to tell in an elimination-type diet, right?

We can give you scientific studies and theories, but ultimately the only way to know these things is to test them out yourself. What kinds of experience have you had with fruit so far?

OP
R

redlight

I been eating a lot of fruit for awhile now...

Im eliminating all grains, dairy, nightshades... But I'm not going 100% AIP for example i had coconut ice cream tonight which contains small amount of gaur gum and uses agave as the sweetener which is forbidden on the AIP

OP
R

redlight

Also I'm eating way more fructose than 20g a day.. Today i had at least a quart of orange juice, dried banana chips (which contain pure sugar)

yerrag

It seems to me there are many flavors of the elimination diet. My sister asked me my opinion recently of the one where one takes a test for allergy for different kinds of foods, and then eliminate those foods from your diet. And then slowly reintroduce them.

I personally feel it's too complicated. It's a brute force approach as well. Wouldn't it be better to ask why these allergies exist? Is being prone to allergies an indication of some imbalance on a systemic level? Rather than go thru the rigamarole of eliminating foods and reintroducing them, which is a very convoluted and drawn out exercise and a huge investment of effort, why not identify the cause of being prone to allergies? The elimination diet does nothing to identify the cause, it rather makes the individual adjust to his own pathological state, with no attempt to correct it. It doesn't provide a permanent solution, but a temporary ones. What is to keep an allergy that is purportedly fixed from coming back later?

I would admit to not being a person prone to food allergies. The only food allergy I had was to mangoes when I was a toddler, and I only knew of it by recollection by my mom and dad. But I was prone to allergic rhinitis, which until recently was something I could not shake off. But since I became aware of Ray Peat and made some steps to improve on what I eat, I came to a point where I realized it has been a long time since I had my last allergic rhinitis. I believe that a person has to first consider addressing deficiencies in their diet, as well as undesirable elements in their diet, as based on a well grounded understanding of Ray Peat's ideas.

If a person embarks on an elimination diet and does not eliminate PUFAs from their diet, and continues to intake plenty of fiber, for example, how would the elimination diet help him if he's not even addressing substances that are inflammatory and anti-metabolic. I'd rather he first make sure he gets the right approach to eating first, as the impact on him on a systemic level would perhaps improve his response to foods that normally don't cause allergies on healthy individuals.

One lat thing, if a person eliminaties certain foods and this causes a deficiency, won't he develop another pathology. Wouldn't he rather be playing whack-a-mole at the arcade instead of on himself?

somuch4food

I don't think fructose causes blood sugar imbalances. It might make the roller coaster more extreme, but it does not cause.

I prefer to see sugar as fuel you would put in a fire. It can exacerbates issues like blood sugar problems and inflammation while not being the main culprit.

I personally felt deprived when I cut most sugar and reduced fats. Calories are also important.

Instead of one of the various existing elimination diet, I would choose a few staples that you can enjoy every day without getting tired of it and tweak around it to test how you react to other foods.

The common Ray Peat diet is full of possible allergens/intolerances.