Ray Peat Diet Causes Cavities?

encerent

I've been doing the standard high sugar Ray Peat diet (including soda and candy from time to time semi-often) for about 10 months now. Yesterday I had a checkup, and the dentist said I have 2 cavities. During this time I've also stopped brushing with fluoride and have been brushing with coconut oil and also rinsing with coconut oil.

For now I'll probably have to get fillings. I think I'm going to start chewing xylitol gum between meals and/or rinse with coconut oil between meals and snacks :(.

Anyone have the same problem? Or, does anyone not have this problem despite eating a lot of sugary Ray Peat inspired foods and drinks and eating often throughout the day?

Pet Peeve

I haven't been to the dentist for a while, but xylitol makes my teeth super sensitive fwiw.

Velve921

I've only seen the dentist 1x in 2.5 years; at one point was doing 500-600 grams of sugar a day. My teeth only hurt if I accidentally due corn syrup/food additives combined with sugar rich foods. Gum and candy will give me tooth pain; Haganndaas, Mexican Coke, Cane sugar, OJ, Milk has never given me tooth aches or decay. Not sure what type of soda/candy you're doing but that could have an effect. I brush my teeth with straight baking soda...and too be quite honest I don't even brush my teeth everyday. Based on my experience thus far, food additives and thickening agents are large causes of tooth dysfunction.

TheHound

I've been doing the standard high sugar Ray Peat diet (including soda and candy from time to time semi-often) for about 10 months now. Yesterday I had a checkup, and the dentist said I have 2 cavities. During this time I've also stopped brushing with fluoride and have been brushing with coconut oil and also rinsing with coconut oil.

For now I'll probably have to get fillings. I think I'm going to start chewing xylitol gum between meals and/or rinse with coconut oil between meals and snacks :(.

Anyone have the same problem? Or, does anyone not have this problem despite eating a lot of sugary Ray Peat inspired foods and drinks and eating often throughout the day?

take a look at this:

Fix Your Teeth, Dr. Gerard Judd

Pointless

I've experimented with different toothpastes, and nothing I've tried works as well as good old fluoride toothpaste. I'd say that has more to do with your cavities than an energy-rich diet.

RutgerD

I also thought about this and I do not know. At the moment I add just a pinch of baking soda to my OJ and stir it, which should reduce the acidity of the drink. I never had any cavities and still haven't. I actually noticed whiter teeth when I started consuming more milk and OJ, but I also stopped smoking and the plaque and stains did dissapear.

Peata

I went through a phase of drinking a lot of Coke, and developed decay that I had to get filled. If you're going to drink it, rinse your mouth with water afterward if you can't brush.

OP
encerent

encerent

I've experimented with different toothpastes, and nothing I've tried works as well as good old fluoride toothpaste. I'd say that has more to do with your cavities than an energy-rich diet.

Honestly, I think I'm going to probably go back to using a flouride toothpaste (2-3x a day). I don't think you'd absorb very much flouride that way. And I use city water that is already fluoride-enriched. Thinking now it's not worth it to avoid this extra bit of fluoride.

ilikecats

Have you read what ray peat has to say about dental health? Also you can go to to one dentist and they'll say you have two cavities and then go to another and they'll say you have none... I don't trust them at all. I just read an article on red light for tooth health. Topical vitamin k2 be great for teeth as well . Like as in applied to the teeth. Also I'm sure ray peat would say that fluoride damages the teeth over time..., it is an endocrine disruptor. Anti thyroid and estrogenic. Ray peat says tooth health is primarily determined by thyroid function and estrogen levels.....

RutgerD

illuminate me, I though there was difference between tooth decay, one from say hypothyroidism, which decay the teeth from the inside out, the other being external, eating,drinking and other harmfull stuff one put in ones mouth.

ilikecats

I think ray peat says just to rinse your mouth out with water after drinking something acidic. Should be enough...

M

member 2106

+1.

Wagner83

Since I've added alot more fruits to my diet 1-2 weeks ago, I can safely say that my teeth feel like they have degraded more than in the years before . I do try to rinse my mouth thoroughly after eating the fruits, sometimes I can't.

chispas

I don't know why, but Coke in a can will hurt my teeth and gums, but Coke in a glass bottle will not.

I drink and eat tonnes of sugar, and I've never had a cavity. I go through 3kg of supplementary white sugar a week, this in addition to gummy bears, fruit, etc.

I have a theory that the teeth cavities are caused by wheat. I think the wheat grows the bacteria in your gut, and changes the acidity of the saliva. My girlfriend always needed antacids after lunch or dinner, and developed persistent mucus on her tonsils, and got cavities when eating a high oat/bread/pasta diet, until she stopped eating these foods, now all of this is gone.

raypeatclips

I don't know why, but Coke in a can will hurt my teeth and gums, but Coke in a glass bottle will not.

I drink and eat tonnes of sugar, and I've never had a cavity. I go through 3kg of supplementary white sugar a week, this in addition to gummy bears, fruit, etc.

I have a theory that the teeth cavities are caused by wheat. I think the wheat grows the bacteria in your gut, and changes the acidity of the saliva. My girlfriend always needed antacids after lunch or dinner, and developed persistent mucus on her tonsils, and got cavities when eating a high oat/bread/pasta diet, until she stopped eating these foods, now all of this is gone.

You eat 400 grams white sugar a day?

SolidSteele

A friend of mine is a dental hygienist so I've had a great deal of discussions about dental health.

If you are getting cavities you should go and get your teeth cleaned by a hygienist because once the plaque calcifies simple brushing won't remove it which allows the bacteria underneath to continue to produce the acid that erodes away at your enamel and damages your teeth. Once that is cleared up you can start to repair your teeth.

Also rinsing your mouth out with milk rather than water normalises saliva pH quicker.

I add bicarb soda to my OJ to raise the pH. I also brush with Fluoride toothpaste once a day before bed and supplement with taurine.

Taurine Reverses Thyroid Inhibition Due To Fluoride

Gl;itch.e

Xylitol does the EXACT OPPOSITE for me Pet Peeve! I have a tooth that will probably need to be removed and xylitol totally kills the pain and sensitivity in it. Unfortunately this tooth is probably not saveable but I'm convinced that if I had been using xylitol gum or rinses between meals when I increased my sugar intake I would not have any teeth problems.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals