Ray Peat Contact Information

norxgirl

Am looking for a way to contact Dr. Peat. Have burning questions re: what may have been given to hypothyroid pregnant women in the 50s (since my mother does not remember). Was it Armour Thyroid, Synthroid, Progesterone??? And what are potential effects of C-section births, since modern obstetrics has not even begun to address long term consequences. C-section babies do not get that oxygen "deprivation" which vaginal born babies get coming through the birth canal for intermittent periods. What effect would this have on physiology of baby, both short term and long term, along with every other component of birth physiology that has been altered? Thanks...

J

j.

I think you can request nutritional advice on the phone. I heard someone on paleo saying he charges $75 per hour.

OP
N

norxgirl

j. said:
I think you can request nutritional advice on the phone. I heard someone on paleo saying he charges $75 per hour.

Thank you. Is there a posted phone number?

J

j.

norxgirl said:
j. said:

Thank you. Is there a posted phone number?

I think you have to request it through a form on his website. I think it's not accessible from the website anymore, you have to google contact Ray Peat or something like that.

OP
N

norxgirl

Thanks to all who offered information on how to get in touch with Ray Peat. I decided to write him and enclosed a SASE with some cash. He did respond. I am very pleased to learn of his insights. Following is what he wrote:

"I think a background of hypothyroidism, even when it's compensated by high production of the stress hormones so that the classical symptoms aren't present, is a major factor in reproductive problems, and in increasing susceptibility to injury by toxins, including DES and anesthetics. Progesterone production depends on good thyroid function, and as it declines cortisol and other stress hormones increase.

A few doctors at that time [1956] used real progesterone supplements during pregnancy, but generally they were much more likely to use a synthetic progestin, or DES or estrogen.

The prenatal environment can imprint a pattern of hormone balance, especially hypothyroidism, that tends to persist until new patterns can be formed, and that usually requires prolonged supplementation and a very good diet. With a good balance of nutrients and thyroid function, the protective progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA are produced sufficiently to reduce the burden on the adrenal glands.

Gallbladder problems are extremely common in hypothyroidism [family history], and the compensating stress hormones produce problems with blood sugar regulation.

C-sections, anesthesia, DES, and mechanical attitudes toward pregnancy and nutrition all have their place in the authoritarian medical culture, part of a generally stressful culture. That culture is coherent and self-validating, and escape from it has to be equally systematic to be able to persist."

dukez07

Is there no way of contacting Ray Peat, now? I cannot find any link on his website for contact.

BingDing

norxgirl said:
[snip] Following is what he wrote:

C-sections, anesthesia, DES, and mechanical attitudes toward pregnancy and nutrition all have their place in the authoritarian medical culture, part of a generally stressful culture. That culture is coherent and self-validating, and escape from it has to be equally systematic to be able to persist."

Just a bump because I think this is a great quote from RP.

norxgirl, this whole post would be good in the RP quotes thread. An admin can move it, or just post a copy.

HDD

norxgirl said:
Thanks to all who offered information on how to get in touch with Ray Peat. I decided to write him and enclosed a SASE with some cash. He did respond. I am very pleased to learn of his insights. Following is what he wrote:

"I think a background of hypothyroidism, even when it's compensated by high production of the stress hormones so that the classical symptoms aren't present, is a major factor in reproductive problems, and in increasing susceptibility to injury by toxins, including DES and anesthetics. Progesterone production depends on good thyroid function, and as it declines cortisol and other stress hormones increase.

A few doctors at that time [1956] used real progesterone supplements during pregnancy, but generally they were much more likely to use a synthetic progestin, or DES or estrogen.

The prenatal environment can imprint a pattern of hormone balance, especially hypothyroidism, that tends to persist until new patterns can be formed, and that usually requires prolonged supplementation and a very good diet. With a good balance of nutrients and thyroid function, the protective progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA are produced sufficiently to reduce the burden on the adrenal glands.

Gallbladder problems are extremely common in hypothyroidism [family history], and the compensating stress hormones produce problems with blood sugar regulation.

Well, I didn't notice this when it was first posted but reading it now it seems quite possible this could have been my prenatal history. Anyone that would know is gone. My mother was 43 when she gave birth to me in 1957. I remember that she had her gallbladder removed. Both of my siblings have blood sugar issues. Fortunately, I have been using special diets for health for years and was not harmed by current medical practices. Finding Ray Peat's work and knowing why and what is actually wrong is life changing. I am happy to report that I have not had any "MS" symptoms since I started using thyroid. The one exception was after following a stomach bug, I crashed my metabolism and felt some slight tingling. Thanks for bumping this BingDing and Mittir for posting it in the email depository.

veritas

Is the P.O. Box 5764 still the current and correct way to contact him? I'm planning on sending a check with a SASE and a letter, but don't want to mail them into the ether. Can anyone confirm?