Ray Peat & Blood Typing

In my simplistic explaination:

The blood typing science is measuring lectins in the body that are created when individual foods are eaten and not welcome, much like the immune system's response to a virus. Lectins that accumulate, faster than they can be removed, settle throughout the body, especially joints, causing pain. The chronic inflammation eventually leads to worse situations such as cancer. Elimination of them, is like eleminating PUFA's, by not eating the offending foods anymore.

The speculation is that, in the beginning we were all "O" blood types, being mostly hunters and eating meat. Eventially some became "agrigarians", eating more of the animal's foods and growing crops, which evolved those people to acclimate, creating a new blood type "A" . Not sure about the science of that, but the Japanese sure are! Because "O" types are more primitive, their fight or flight response is still intact, unlike the more relaxed farmer "A" types, handling stress better. For that reason "O" types in Japan are chosen for the more stressful leadership and management positions. People in Japan even consider marriage partner's blood type for compatiability. I am an "O" and my husband is an "A" and absolutely everything has rang true, personality wise between us!

I started it 10+ years ago and it worked wonders, quickly curing my painful feet and the accelerating arthritis in my fingers, with neither to ever return again! It later cured my dad's excruciating rhematoid arthritis. For that reason, i still steer away from most of the "Toxic" foods for my "O" blood type and lean into the "Highly Beneficial" ones that Ray Peat would agree on. It sometimes makes me wonder if it plays any part as to why some people don't tolerate dairy and orange juice as well as others. I am drinking them both without pain! Just like there are many factors for why someone is healthy and an another is not, the lectins are nevertheless an issue. Knowing both sides VERY well, Ray's advice to eliminate the PUFA's, stop the "breathless exercise" and give the animals back their food is gonna make us live longer and slow down the aging process which is mighty important. Being on the blood type diet for several years, before "Peat", and avoiding the dairy, eventually created new issues for me, as does every well intended diet, but the pain problems i had have never came back. I will always be a subscriber to the blood type diet, but to a lesser degree, to keep those lectin's down. Ray Peat's protocol is far superior and gets to the root of problems, not just one branch. People in pain might do themselves some good though to see what "Toxic" food they could remove that aren't conflictive with Ray Peat's advice. For my "O" blood type I stay away from melons (except watermelon), cruciferous vegetables, calamari, smoked salmon, pork, wheat and many other grains, green tea, and more. I bought the book and read it through, more than once, but you can also check online to see which foods are recommended to avoid. If you don't know your blood type, there are cheap test kits online that can find out your blood type in a matter of minutes.

ursidae

Blood Type A

recommended:
Vegan diet (due to low stomach acid)
Soy (no kidding, it’s listed as the best health food for type A) lentils, beans, flax, peanuts, onions, broccoli, green tea, grains

Not recommended:
Dairy, oranges, eggs, coconut, ruminant meat, oysters, potatoes, tomatoes

.... if the stomach acid claim is true (it’s true for me), I’d rather supplement hcl and histidine for the rest of my life than eat a compensatory diet

Some of the forbidden foods are my staples due to their nutrient density, lack of anti nutrients, and affordability. I try to ignore the blood type thing completely because there would be no good food to eat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Blood Type A

recommended:
Soy (no kidding, it’s listed as the best health food for type A) lentils, beans, flax, peanuts, onions, broccoli, green tea, grain,

Not recommended:

.... if the stomach acid claim is true (it’s true for me), I’d rather supplement hcl and histidine for the rest of my life than eat a compensatory diet

Some of the forbidden foods are my staples due to their nutrient density, lack of anti nutrients, and affordability. I try to ignore the blood type thing completely because there would be no good food to eat
I am so glad to meet another person that is familiar on the topic ursidae! I have been an island, and seeming fanatic preaching it's curative powers, until discovering Ray Peat's science. I agree that it is hard to adapt to in the beginning, not knowing what to eat, as it was for me eating to appease my histamine Intolerance and, lastly, Ray Peat's anti-aging protocol. I am a foodie and cannot stay in the box that is suppose to be mine, so I have made both work for me, eating a great and ever changing varieaty of foods, at the envy of those around me, who are still eating their same old thing. I feel that any health improving diet is gonna be challenging if high quality is not available. To my husband, who balked at first, at the much higher price of the raw milk I was buying, I said, " I would rather consume half as much good stuff than twice as much bad stuff". He now praises the value of that raw milk, always thinking he was lactose intolerant, and now realizing he is not. You and I knowing the blood type science and puting it against Ray Peat is no competition, with recommendations to eat soy, flax, green tea, peanuts and other estrogenic laden foods. That is why I only "lean into" the "Accetptable" and "Highly Beneficial" foods as long as they are "Peat" approved. Ray Peat does not approve of coconut meat, he says the mold and toxins are problematic, and though the refined coconut oil is "Peat" recommended, I only use it for frying, not being sure my body will jump for joy about it yet. I think the balancing act I have achieved between the two diets, has made me more successful with Ray Peat than most others. That is why I felt compelled to bring the Blood Typing branch to the table for a look at. Adding back in the dairy was almost impossible the first couple of years on "Peat" as my body was too busy dumping PUFA to have anything left for adapting. Now I do drink, almost, a standard American measure, of milk a day, almost getting 100%, but it is still baby steps for me too ursidae. The Ray Peat science isn't wrong because it isn't working for us, it just isn't working for us now. I understand your decision to suppliment and keep foods in that are working for you now, but the Ray Peat science says it is all gonna catch up to you eventually. I urge you to ditch that delicious avocado as a main staple, and go with the Ray Peat "safer" macadamias and see if you can manage that first baby step. They are also very high in the skin saving fats. I use a few slices of avocados now then for a splurge, not for good health. I do love that delicious devil! Let's keep in touch!

GreenTrails

In my simplistic explaination:

The blood typing science is measuring lectins in the body that are created when individual foods are eaten and not welcome, much like the immune system's response to a virus. Lectins that accumulate, faster than they can be removed, settle throughout the body, especially joints, causing pain. The chronic inflammation eventually leads to worse situations such as cancer. Elimination of them, is like eleminating PUFA's, by not eating the offending foods anymore.

The speculation is that, in the beginning we were all "O" blood types, being mostly hunters and eating meat. Eventially some became "agrigarians", eating more of the animal's foods and growing crops, which evolved those people to acclimate, creating a new blood type "A" . Not sure about the science of that, but the Japanese sure are! Because "O" types are more primitive, their fight or flight response is still intact, unlike the more relaxed farmer "A" types, handling stress better. For that reason "O" types in Japan are chosen for the more stressful leadership and management positions. People in Japan even consider marriage partner's blood type for compatiability. I am an "O" and my husband is an "A" and absolutely everything has rang true, personality wise between us!

I started it 10+ years ago and it worked wonders, quickly curing my painful feet and the accelerating arthritis in my fingers, with neither to ever return again! It later cured my dad's excruciating rhematoid arthritis. For that reason, i still steer away from most of the "Toxic" foods for my "O" blood type and lean into the "Highly Beneficial" ones that Ray Peat would agree on. It sometimes makes me wonder if it plays any part as to why some people don't tolerate dairy and orange juice as well as others. I am drinking them both without pain! Just like there are many factors for why someone is healthy and an another is not, the lectins are nevertheless an issue. Knowing both sides VERY well, Ray's advice to eliminate the PUFA's, stop the "breathless exercise" and give the animals back their food is gonna make us live longer and slow down the aging process which is mighty important. Being on the blood type diet for several years, before "Peat", and avoiding the dairy, eventually created new issues for me, as does every well intended diet, but the pain problems i had have never came back. I will always be a subscriber to the blood type diet, but to a lesser degree, to keep those lectin's down. Ray Peat's protocol is far superior and gets to the root of problems, not just one branch. People in pain might do themselves some good though to see what "Toxic" food they could remove that aren't conflictive with Ray Peat's advice. For my "O" blood type I stay away from melons (except watermelon), cruciferous vegetables, calamari, smoked salmon, pork, wheat and many other grains, green tea, and more. I bought the book and read it through, more than once, but you can also check online to see which foods are recommended to avoid. If you don't know your blood type, there are cheap test kits online that can find out your blood type in a matter of minutes.

Thank you, Rinse and rePeat, for posting this information. I and my two daughters are all Type B's. I'm reading about the foods to avoid and foods to eat. This is very interesting!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you, Rinse and rePeat, for posting this information. I and my two daughters are all Type B's. I'm reading about the foods to avoid and foods to eat. This is very interesting!
I am excited to hear what you discovered GreenTrails! Did the three of of you find some "Toxic" foods that have been in your regular rotation?

GreenTrails

I am excited to hear what you discovered GreenTrails! Did the three of of you find some "Toxic" foods that have been in your regular rotation?
Well, they weren't interested in my information about foods to avoid! haha! But I found it very interesting that I should replace chicken with other meats (I agree!) Interesting that it says, "Although chicken is a lean meat, the issue is the power of an agglutinating lectin attacking your bloodstream and the potential for it to lead to strokes and immune disorders"; so good to know that. I'm fine without corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds. Thanks again!

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Well, they weren't interested in my information about foods to avoid! haha! But I found it very interesting that I should replace chicken with other meats (I agree!) Interesting that it says, "Although chicken is a lean meat, the issue is the power of an agglutinating lectin attacking your bloodstream and the potential for it to lead to strokes and immune disorders"; so good to know that. I'm fine without corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds. Thanks again!
Oh my gosh that gives me such joy to hear that! I was surprised too at the things I was eating and not, and the different reasons why I should and shouldn't be eating them. Had it not been for that blood type diet I would probably have bleed to death by now, thank you seaweed!

orangeUglad

Blood Type A

recommended:
Soy (no kidding, it’s listed as the best health food for type A) lentils, beans, flax, peanuts, onions, broccoli, green tea, grains

Not recommended:

I'm blood type A and all the blood type A foods are the foods that wreck me and everything I'm supposed to avoid are the foods I do great with

ursidae

I'm blood type A and all the blood type A foods are the foods that wreck me and everything I'm supposed to avoid are the foods I do great with
That’s good to hear. The blood type A forbidden foods are almost everything that is highly concentrated in vitamins in minerals that are actually bio available. It amazes me that the creator came up with a list this bad, considering he’s blood type A himself. The recommendations for the other blood types are somewhat decent though. Also I don’t like that blood type A is just labelled as “naturally” low in stomach acid and this problem isn’t investigated further but instead is managed with a malnourishing diet. Stomach acidity is not just something that exists in isolation. It’s determined by multiple things including histamine levels, thyroid etc and they can be worked on. Maybe blood type A is predisposed to histapenia or hypothyroidism. I believe I am. Low stomach acidity is a serious health problem that affects not just digestion of meat but also mineral absorption so it’s absolutely imperative to work on the weak link

orangeUglad

That’s good to hear. The blood type A forbidden foods are almost everything that is highly concentrated in vitamins in minerals that are actually bio available. It amazes me that the creator came up with a list this bad, considering he’s blood type A himself. The recommendations for the other blood types are somewhat decent though. Also I don’t like that blood type A is just labelled as “naturally” low in stomach acid and this problem isn’t investigated further but instead is managed with a malnourishing diet. Stomach acidity is not just something that exists in isolation. It’s determined by multiple things including histamine levels, thyroid etc and they can be worked on. Maybe blood type A is predisposed to histapenia or hypothyroidism. I believe I am. Low stomach acidity is a serious health problem that affects not just digestion of meat but also mineral absorption so it’s absolutely imperative to work on the weak link
Agree 100%. I'm prone to hypothyroidism also. Goodness gracious but the list for type A bloods definitely wouldn't help the Thyroid. At one time I was super fascinated by the whole idea of the blood type diet and I thought "maybe this is legit" but when I saw that food list it was hard for me to take it seriously....I think the whole concept may need further research

somuch4food

You have reminded me of this diet. I'm also blood type A. I will look again at the tables to see how I stand today since I have made many changes since I dabbled with it and understand my issues more.

I do think the diet is legit, but it is only one aspect of health.

Yucca

Same.
D'adamo diet was maybe the first alternative diet i tried about more than 15 years ago.
As I'm blood A, I was eating mainly carbs/soy/fruits, avoiding too much meat and fats.

It was the worst part of my life (physically and mentally)

somuch4food

Same.
D'adamo diet was maybe the first alternative diet i tried about more than 15 years ago.
As I'm blood A, I was eating mainly carbs/soy/fruits, avoiding too much meat and fats.

What do you think was the worst part of his recommendations for you?

Yucca

...I'm not sure anymore. I remember a big drop in energy levels. Maybe a thyroid concern ?
Certainly too many carbs (for my needs, and I guess I'm somewhat a bit gluten intolerant) and not enough animal proteins, as I was training with weights much more than today.
I used to eat lots of soy/fermented soy (tempeh, tofu...) and it was certainly bad for my thyroid levels.

But along with this constant tired feeling, I was also a bit depressed with this diet. Definitively not for me.

orangeUglad

Same.

I feel you. Every food suggested for blood type A gives me horrible digestion, cold hands/feet, and fatigue

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That is exactly why I specified, that I would not vary from Ray's recommendations, and use the blood type diet as a secondary thing. It's usefulness is more apparent through big issues like pain, not so much things like digestion, as clearly Ray Peat says vegetables are hard on digestion. The blood typing recommendation for them is only that the vegetables don't create lectins when you eat them.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I feel you. Every food suggested for blood type A gives me horrible digestion, cold hands/feet, and fatigue
That is exactly right, it would do that cause the foods recommended on the blood type diet aren't addressing thyroid, they're addressing lectins and their inflammation. I don't eat the spinach that is highly recommended for my "O" blood type anymore either, now knowing it is high in iron. The value of the blood type diet, maybe something to be considered as secondary thing for those dealing with arthritis like my dad was, not digestion and getting temps up. My blood type says broccoli is highly beneficial, so when Ray Peat says broccoli, well cooked, has some value in removing estrogens from the body then I feel good that the two diets are in agreement. Thanks though orangeUglad for weighing in. I definitely know that the blood type diet in the long run did not hold the answers that Ray Peat has. I am just grateful for what it did do, not what it didn't do.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You're opinion holds no weight against my 10 year experience with it.
I mean nothing negative towards you Equipoise , but saying what you said is puzzling to me. To insinuate that the whole country of Japan are such idiots just because you don't believe it shouldn't be worth my time to respond, but since you insulted me as well I have. So when I go onto the various threads on this site reading a lot of opinions being thrown back and forth, and passed off like facts, rather than throw a rock and run, i just change the channel

Last edited: