RAY PEAT ART GALLERY

B

Braveheart

Wanted to change my avatar to honor the man...like his art...like me, he likes the female form.....he is healthy....http://raypeat.com/art/

LA

some of the art on the 'other pages' of Dr. Peat's classic site were done by William Blake (1757-1827) - who was an inspiration to Ray Peat - might as well toss in a link to some of Blake's images too:

makaronai

Does anyone know if Ray has ever spoken about the paint he’s using? Or toxicity/safety of paint in general?

tokimaturi

I remember him mentioning rapeseed (canola) oil being good for oil painting. But said you need to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards to avoid them being absorbed through the skin.

imei3489

Does anyone know if Ray has ever spoken about the paint he’s using? Or toxicity/safety of paint in general?
i want to know this too! ive been wanting to get into oils for a while. and im curious about the lead in pencils.

boris

@makaronai @imei3489

For anybody interested in Ray's use of painting materials/technique...

Question - "Hi Ray,
I've often wondered your opinion on the toxicity of oil paints.
The PUFA is kind of unavoidable but have the pigments, synthetic or otherwise, ever bothered you?
I ask as a painting student who works primarily with oils (but tries to avoid the cadmium/lead/cobalts).
Thanks for everything and best wishes,
Lloyd
PS I was recently re-reading from a copy of Blake's 1809 Exhibition Descriptive Catalogue - his love of tempera and avoidance of oil (and amusing notes about Rembrandt and others) for it's blurriness of form struck a chord with me."

Ray - "Starting in the 1950s I would buy three of the smallest tubes of color, and a bigger tube of zinc white, and a bottle of turpentine, and paint with a water-color-like technique, mostly just tinting the paper (no blending on the paper) so that the little tubes would last for months. In the 1980s my girl friend complained about the turpentine smell, so when I couldn’t paint outside (Oregon winter) I started using mostly latex house paints, and sometimes oil pastels. The disadvantage of a latex or acrylic paint is that it dries so fast that it doesn’t let you think while mixing colors on a palette. Since I didn’t have skin contact with the pigments I wasn’t worried about their toxicity, but I used some paint sticks 20 years ago, and noticed that an umber color was extremely allergenic or toxic to touch. A few years ago I decided to go back to oil with turpentine, and learned that the pine turpentine industry has disappeared—the familiar green and white cans of “pure gum spirits of turpentine” now contained a gasoline-like petroleum distillate. If pure turpentine was available, that, with oils, would be my preferred medium."

yerrag

Has he sold any of his paintings? Will he be honored for them only posthumously? Will they be bid out in Christie's or in RPF?

Has he sold any of his paintings? Will he be honored for them only posthumously? Will they be bid out in Christie's or in RPF?
I painted and didn't want to sell any. I think you do it for money or you do it for yourself. So post honor is my thinking.

yerrag

I painted and didn't want to sell any. I think you do it for money or you do it for yourself. So post honor is my thinking.
I have to write him more often then.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals