Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Would like to get a list of approved fruits going. Melons are out of season where I am, so moving onto grapes now.

Hat tip to ARK for providing the list below:

Apples, peeled and cooked

Cherimoya

Cherries

Guavas

Longans

Lychees

Olives- lye processed, no sulfites or iron

Oranges

Pawpaws

Pears, peeled and cooked

Sapotes

Tangerines

Watermelon

Avocado, occasional use

Lemons

Limes

kettlebell

Hi all,

In the UK we don't have much in the way of tropical fruits so just buy them from the supermarket.

I focus on grapes and melons mainly (Honeydew being my favorite) with lots of freshly squezed OJ.

I would love more variety really but have been confused as to what qualifies.

I have seen on the CO2 Blog by a resident here - Cliff, saying most fruits are ok if tolerated (Including very ripe bananas) but its best to avoid grapefruit as they have a chemical in them which disrupts thyroid function. I think I remember that correctly but could be mistaken.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
pete said:
Seedless?

I was wondering that myself. I have been getting seedless grapes but not sure if that is correct or not.

kettlebell said:
Hi all,

In the UK we don't have much in the way of tropical fruits so just buy them from the supermarket.

I focus on grapes and melons mainly (Honeydew being my favorite) with lots of freshly squezed OJ.

I have seen on the CO2 Blog by a resident here - Cliff, saying most fruits are ok if tolerated (Including very ripe bananas) but its best to avoid grapefruit as they have a chemical in them which disrupts thyroid function. I think I remember that correctly but could be mistaken.

kettlebell, welcome to the forum.

Wondering if we should add well ripened bananas or not. I think cooking them would make them even better. Same thing with apples, are cooked apples going to be OK?

Where are all the fruit experts around here?! :help

Jellyfish

kettlebell said:
Hi all,

I think it blocks certain enzymes in liver that is needed to get rid of estrogen.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Definitely don't want any grapefruit with that being the case!!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What about tangerines?

cliff

I think tangerines are probably good.

If you live in the tropics or get very well ripened fruit from small farms just about every fruit is probably good. The main problem with some fruits like bananas and pineapples is that they are grown in stressful conditions and picked unripe.

I would just focus on the getting the best quality fruit you can tolerate whatever that may be.

Jellyfish

In India pregnant woman are advised to avoid papaya and jackfruit because they cause abortions, I dont know if it is true.

pete

Fruits that you can peel or are "free" of pesticides are better.

Or you can soak fruits in a solution of equal parts vinegar and water (castille soap?).

Kris

Personally I think that all fruits that taste good, are good for you. However, unless you get organic grapes, it is better to avoid them. They have the biggest amount of pesticides that they fully absorb. What is Peat's opinion of Kiwis and peaches?

Jellyfish

If I remember correctly he said that cooked fruit are less allergenic than raw fruit. I think he said dates are ok.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Kris said:
Personally I think that all fruits that taste good, are good for you. However, unless you get organic grapes, it is better to avoid them. They have the biggest amount of pesticides that they fully absorb. What is Peat's opinion of Kiwis and peaches?

Uggggh.

ARK

This is the latest list of fruits from Dr. Peat.

Cherimoya

Cherries

Guavas

Longans

Lychees

Oranges

Pawpaws

Pears, peeled and cooked

Sapotes

Tangerines

Watermelon

Avocado, occasional use

Lemons

Limes

nwo2012

ARK said:

Cherimoya

Cherries

Guavas

Longans

Lychees

Oranges

Pawpaws

Pears, peeled and cooked

Sapotes

Tangerines

Watermelon

Avocado, occasional use

Lemons

Limes

Thanks ARK, I have a similar list though no avocados on it and also with the likes of apples and pears ripeness is very important (easier than most other fruits to be unripe).
People need to understand that Peat 'allows' many foods for occasional use which he does not consider anywhere near optimal. So personally, and I would recommend to others, stay clear of the likes of avocados. The same with RP on vegetables, when asked he says that although some can provide almost optimal nutrition they are not necessary and if budget permits there are better ways to get nutrition.

nwo2012

Kris said:

Kiwis would be a no-no because he does not agree with ingesting ANY fruit where the seeds can't be avoided. Kiwis would be one of the worst offenders in that respect.

ARK

"People need to understand that Peat 'allows' many foods for occasional use which he does not consider anywhere near optimal. So personally, and I would recommend to others, stay clear of the likes of avocados. The same with RP on vegetables, when asked he says that although some can provide almost optimal nutrition they are not necessary and if budget permits there are better ways to get nutrition." NWO2012

I totally agree with you NWO 2012. I for one can't do any apples or pears and I was surprised to see an avocado on that list too. I stay clear of avocados as well. The fruit can be tricky and if it is not ripe - or good for YOU - you can create issues with serotonin. I feel that truly the only fruit that we need on the list is the ripe - oranges( juiced and strained) If you are lucky enough to be someone that can do more fruit and at least there is a little choice. I only really will stray to the watermelon and the tropical fruits ( although I have run into trouble with that as well) As simple as you can keep it the better!!!!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ARK said:

Cherimoya

Cherries

Guavas

Longans

Lychees

Oranges

Pawpaws

Pears, peeled and cooked

Sapotes

Tangerines

Watermelon

Avocado, occasional use

Lemons

Limes

Ark, you rock! I see no grapes but oh well I guess. I have a couple pounds of grapes I am gonna finish and wont get anymore I reckon.

Nickje said:
Interesting that grapes are no longer on the list.

Yeh, you ain't kidding. Uggggh.

G

gummybear

Surprised he didn't mention dates. The ones from Iran tastes the best (and you are supporting the country also).

Back
Top Bottom