Ray Peat Advices Against Free Metal Supplements, Is This A Free Metal?

TreasureVibe

Hi there. Ray Peat recommends against free metal supplements in the following audio bit:

He names zinc, iron and copper. However, there are more free metals. With free metal I interpret that as native metals, which are listed in the following Wikipedia list:

Native metal - Wikipedia

Among them is molybdenum. Molybdenum is being sold as a supplement. I have the following molybdenum product at home:

Single Minerals - Molybdenum - Eidon Ionic Minerals

The label lists it as "sodium molybdate". Would this product fall under Ray's category of free metal supplements?

Also, I would like to inquire on any person's experience with molybdenum supplementation. Is it safe?

Thanks!

cyclops

Thanks for posting. I was taking zinc, but now I'm gonna stop.

Luann

I can't listen right now. Why does he not like copper supplements? Would manganese also be bad to supplement according to him?

MrThyroid

i think all traceminerals and minerals are unnessacry to supplement except magnesium on peat diet, because the body can save them in liver and bodyfat. In long term only trace minerals and minerals will improve over all health. B vitamin need to be consumed daily and t from them you feel immediately the impact

mmb82

Why do you care if molybdenum falls under Ray's category of free metal supplements? If you don't need it, why would you even consider taking it?
The safest supplement is the one you don't take if you don't need it. Take an educated approach to supplements and only supplement if you know (through testing) that you need that supplement, not because Ray said something good or bad about it.

BibleBeliever

I think molybdenum is called estrogenic by Ray and recommended against if I remember correctly.
It antagonizes copper(Peat is a big fan of copper consumption via foods; often citing its importance from food sources, stating it is one of the minerals often lowered by stressors)
I think I remember it being said that molybdenum applied to sheep turned them all grey (by inducing a copper deficiency)

The foods highest in molybdenum are not recommended by Peat and tend to show estrogenic properties.
Chickpeas (the least estrogenic of all beans) are very high in molybdenum.

Thus if you wish to experiment with high dose molybdenum perhaps try consuming high amounts of chickpeas: this site states 1 cup has 273%
Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)

Food sources are always safer than supplements., but you still would be getting molybdenum in trace amounts from many foods; eggs, liver, etc.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Why do you care if molybdenum falls under Ray's category of free metal supplements? If you don't need it, why would you even consider taking it?
The safest supplement is the one you don't take if you don't need it. Take an educated approach to supplements and only supplement if you know (through testing) that you need that supplement, not because Ray said something good or bad about it.
Because I have a relative who uses it (with some benefits).

Isn't calf liver basically free iron?

daphne134

I can't listen right now. Why does he not like copper supplements? Would manganese also be bad to supplement according to him?
He says they can interact with nutrients in the gut and oxidize them.

Interesting. I found this on a search for molybdenum, which I have been experimenting with. It seems to give me insomnia (which is how my body tells me it's not happy).

Luann

Oh, thanks. Since posting that, I've actually done some research on copper supplements. It seems that what Peat is calling "free metal" is really poorly absorbed. I've been taking copper chelated with glycine. But I never heard oxidation in the gut mentioned anywhere else.
What form of molybdenum were you taking?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals