Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ray On Interpreting An Author's Personality And Motivation

Discussion in 'Ray Peat Quotes' started by JCastro, Apr 11, 2019.

1. JCastro

JCastro Member

source: Ray Peat on Healing The Body, February 19, 2019, One Radio Network (2 minutes in)

2. indeterminacy

indeterminacy Member

3. lampofred

lampofred Member

Maybe this is why he never responds to my emails. He dislikes the kind of person I am from my writing :(

4. Pufas Shmoofas

Pufas Shmoofas New Member

What a dreadful couple of sentences. Insufferable!

5. shepherdgirl

shepherdgirl Member

@lampofred
    When you could probably come up with hundreds of plausible reasons why he does not respond to you, why do you choose to believe the one that makes you feel the worst?
    (I had to ask you, because I have done the same thing, only now I question my thoughts more and don't fall prey to my mind's manipulation as often!)
    I don't agree with your conclusion, btw - Peat is not a judgmental kind of person.

6. lampofred

lampofred Member

Well he responds to all kinds of questions based on the email depository so it's not like he only responds to life-or-death cancer/heart disease types of questions, and I pay him in advance for the questions I ask, so it's a logical conclusion...

But interestingly it seems like several lines in his recent newsletters are directly answering my questions...

7. BEASTMODE

BEASTMODE Member

Getting a response from Peat is variable. I'm sure some may have a relationship with him in which he prioritizes them, but I've noticed it really comes down to the period of time I'm emailing him. He'll respond to 6 emails in a row then not respond the next 6. My first thoughts are either 1) Is he dead 2) Can I answer my own question that may lead to a better one to send.

In an audio I heard a while back in that documentary he's in, he mentioned something about responding to emails and trying to steer the person in what he believes is a more useful direction to look into.

I've noticed that he often only responds to parts of my email a lot and it leads me to believe the parts he doesn't respond to are probably not in the line of thinking he would encourage.

I imagine others can relate to some of what I wrote.

8. lampofred

lampofred Member

You've sent 6 in a row before with no response? I've sent 3 without a response, and I'm scared of irritating/annoying him by sending any more...

It's one thing if he's not responding because he wants you to figure it out on your own, but it's another if the emails are pissing him off...

9. managing

managing Member

Precisely my experience in emailing Dr. P. I am sure that sometimes he is just busy or maybe doesn't find the email interesting. I've also had the experience of writing him, getting no response, and rewriting my question more directly and concisely and getting a response. In reading HIS writing, I think one can deduce that he is a very terse and efficient person who doesn't waste words. I think he appreciates that approach when asking for help.

In general, I think (based solely on my experience) that having a question that is very concise, direct, and on topic is very helpful. I also get the impression that he shies away from "help me cure/treat my condition" kinds of questions. Maybe because of liability, maybe just because, as terse as he is, he despises reductionism.

10. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

I’ve only emailed him 3 times and one time was on behalf of a question for the forum in general. I have always framed my question as stating the situation or issue, my brief thoughts on the matter and then ask if he has any input. I’m not saying that my way is the right way or best way to communicate but I do like him to know I try to figure out things for myself. He is a teacher so I get the impression he likes to see others putting forth the effort to understand before just turning to him for answers. He has answered me all three times but I try to not to email him excessively.

11. managing

managing Member

Right on. I would say I've emailed him 10 times and gotten a response 6. That's over the course of 5 years or so.

12. RWilly

RWilly Member

He probably gets a bizzilian emails a day.

13. ilikecats

ilikecats Member