Ray Is The Most Conventional Of All The Alternative "gurus"

OP
A

Anonymous

EIRE24 said:
Why do you all waste your time bickering over minor details? We all came here to gain something and help ourselves gain happiness in better health. Chill out a small bit!

Because we are really insecure about ourselves and anyone who challenges our ideas are essentially threatening our identities! By attacking others on the Internet we can be anonymous, but at the same time, put people down without any consequences because no one knows who we are!

pboy

its ok, you guys invented a new word. Peat in the verb form...which means...I don't know what, something different to everyone lol

EIRE24

pboy said:
its ok, you guys invented a new word. Peat in the verb form...which means...I don't know what, something different to everyone lol

I know, it's crazy

These types of threads where people compare Peat to other established groups of people (like Paleo, or the medical institution, or other 'gurus') are silly and a symptom of not understanding Peat's ideas.

When one doesn't have a clue about nutrition or basic physiology, one can only judge the merit of advice by whoever has the most consensus or is the most popular, hence Peat vs X Guru vs Y Guru type thinking. One tries to follow whatever ideas overlap between the people they're comparing.

The better approach, the one that Peat recommends, is to experiment and think for yourself. That requires a few hours learning basic physiology and then experimenting on yourself with labwork, pulse and temps as your guides.

In any case, there's been more of these types of threads ever since Peaterian closed down. I hope we don't get more people distorting Peat's work.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
cantstoppeating said:
In any case, there's been more of these types of threads ever since Peaterian closed down. I hope we don't get more people distorting Peat's work.

No worries about that. Getting ready to make a few adjustments. ;)

jaguar43

gretchen said:
JRMoney15 said:
Ray believes probiotics are garbage and recommends the use of antibiotics.

Ray recommends avoiding starches like breads, rice, bagels and instead, eating fruit or drinking orange juice.

Ray recommends keeping fat low and eating adequate amounts of animal protein.

Ray recommends the use of antihistamines as do many conventional doctors, as well as other pharmaceutical drugs, in certain instances.

Ray recommends the use of aspirin and anacin.

Ray does not recommend supplements or herbs.

Ray acknowledges the benefits of drinking coffee.

Ray believes autoimmune disorders are b.s.

Ray believes adrenal fatigue is b.s.

A lot of people seem to dismiss conventional medicine as having bad intentions, but a lot of Rays views seem to be consistent with those of conventional medicine. Relative to many other followings on the Internet, Ray's recommendations seem to be the least "quacky" and most supported by scientific evidence. Obviously there are some areas of disagreement. But So many people seem to not want to trust doctors like they are part of the new world order or some crap, but most have great intentions, but are just ill informed in some areas in my experience.

I think Ray's conventionalism has to so at least somewhat with when he was born. According to Howe & Strauss' 4th Turning theory, Ray is part of the Silent generation, which was born from 1920-1941. This was the era in which WW was happening. Children were raised in protective, secure type environments and were taught to respect and obey authority. This seems to have an influence over his work.
http://www.lifecourse.com/about/method/ ... types.html

Actually, the distrust people have for conventional medicine is mostly because of the Baby Boomers, who for decades now have insisted that they know better than the rest of us. The sky is in fact green and "we won't stop till everyone agrees with us and we will burn this country to the ground" etc etc. They are the ones who began pushing ideas like avoiding saturated fat, vegan/vegetarian diets, exercise and alternative medicine as the "new" ways of living, which was supposed to be better than the "old fashioned" ways of the 1950s.

The generation Xers and Millenials have followed suit to a great degree. Peat's appeal seems to be that his ideas don't bow to the other loser generations.

How does ray peat's work respect and obey authority ? He speaks about Authoritative culture numerous times in his articles, books and interviews.

Plus, how do you know how he was raised ? He said in an interview that his parents help him start Blake School. That doesn't seem to fit the perception that you posted. I wouldn't think "protective" and "secure" environments households would promote starting new educational institutions in other countries.

jaguar43

gretchen said:
Ray has said homeopathy is delusional. I suppose he never heard of Fritz Popp, the idea of bioluminescence, or the idea that everything has it's own piezoelectric field which has an effect on cells and even DNA. I know he mentions piezoelectricity in his articles and probably has heard of these ideas.

Maybe he should read Exogenous Homeopathy, a Synergetic Therapy: the Explanatory Contribution of Biophotonics, by Traian Stănciulescu:
http://www.akamaiuniversity.us/ExogenousHomeopathy.pdf

It could be because of the 1940s & 50s upbringing which seems to have spurred a need to break away from the establishment which everyone from the Silent and Boom generation did after the 60s through things like the human potential movement. This in part explains the improve yourself and become more "real"/engaged/authentic aspects of his work. I'm quite clear that Peat is not a greedy Boomer or Xer paleo guru. His traditional academic background is a boost to his credibility and the carefulness of his research is much appreciated but he does have his own perspective which shuts out certain ideas.

Where and when did he ever say homeopathy was delusional ? Do you have a link ? Didn't He teach at Homeopathic school.And yes, he has reference Fritz Popp numerous times. Just because he disagrees with some professionals who try to use science to justify their ideas, doesn't mean he is against the theory or science behind it. It reminds me of when everyone used Otto Warburg to justify the anti-sugar ideas, when in fact they misunderstood him completely.

jaguar43

Charlie said:
cantstoppeating said:

No worries about that. Getting ready to make a few adjustments. ;)

Thank you !!! I have also notice that trend. :mrgreen:

How does ray peat's work respect and obey authority ? He speaks about Authoritative culture numerous times in his articles, books and interviews.

Plus, how do you know how he was raised ? He said in an interview that his parents help him start Blake School. That doesn't seem to fit the perception that you posted. I wouldn't think "protective" and "secure" environments households would promote starting new educational institutions in other countries.

The chart that was linked doesn't mention anything about "obeying authority". Ray is definitely Silent Generation.

If you looked at the chart, you would see that the "transition to midlife" is "conformist to experimental". Starting a new college based on radical forms of pedagogy sounds pretty experimental. ("Radical" here having the fullest sense of radical: breaking from the current trends, returning to the root, "radix"; Peat used something like the Socratic method; at their inception, universities were more like a "meeting of minds" than the training places they are now).

The leadership style is "pluralistic; indecisive". An anti-authoritarian like Peat would prefer to defer judgment to others and probably defer final judgment indefinitely.

As an elder, silents are described as "liked" and "sensitive". I think that describes Peat. As a child, Peat probably was very "placid", very content to read books, sometimes get a little adventurous, but not be disruptive or make messes. A "placid" child is more self-content than the "good" child who is more active and concerned with the outer world.

By focusing on tropey descriptors of the Silent Generation, Gretchen's description of the Silent Generation was misleading, and so Jaguar was only attacking a strawman.

The Nomad generation that birthed the Artist generation of the silents was unloved, indifferent, and pragmatic. Since they grew up in a househould free of the grandiose activities and vision of the Hero and Prophet generations, the Artist generation peacefully matures into an empathetic and moderating influence that tries to heal the raucous and tumultuous society that harmed their parents.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals