Ray himself consumes 1600 calories of sugar per day, with 0 white sugar

gaze

Many people may already know this, but I just want to clarify this for anyone who still assumes he only drinks 1 or 2 quarts of OJ with white sugar and doesn't eat "high carb".
I was playing around with this cool search tool Ray Peat Search made by @rijo , and I found an interview with Peat where a caller asks him to clarify how much of his sugar intake is from fruit and how much from white sugar and how much he eats daily.
Ray said he tries to get all his sugars from fruit, and only uses white sugar when he has no fruit, which I assume is rare. he also said he consumes around 1500-1600 calories of sugar per day, which is more than half of his calories. So it is certainly a high carb diet, around 400-500 grams per day.

Heres the Herb doctor interview when he says it

It should be clipped but if not its at the 40 minute mark.

Last edited:

Spartan300

Not clear from the clip whether some of that is juice but if it isn't then that's around 15 or 16 pieces of fruit per day?!

Ignoring the grocery shopping implication for a moment, following this practice is pretty difficult unless someone works from home

Not clear from the clip whether some of that is juice but if it isn't then that's around 15 or 16 pieces of fruit per day?!

Ignoring the grocery shopping implication for a moment, following this practice is pretty difficult unless someone works from home

That's right, each of us has to deal with everyday life ...

Bad Linhat

Meal preparation at home is a must to fulfill this needs.
The real problem, at least for me, is to find ripe fruit all year round.
However those answers from dr. Peat doesn't surprise me: white sugar must be used only as a temporary substitute or a little addition (for example a teaspoon in milk or so)

jzone56

32 oz of OJ is ~100g sugar

So it seems doable if you have a high sugar fruit like raisins or mango every couple of hours you could fill in that missing 300g... just seems more expensive than anything

GelatinGoblin

Don't forget sugar from Milk, 2 liters that's another 110g. Although I really don't know how he doesn't use Dates, Honey or Berries to get that much sugar.

tankasnowgod

Many people may already know this, but I just want to clarify this for anyone who still assumes he only drinks 1 or 2 quarts of OJ with white sugar and doesn't eat "high carb".
I was playing around with this cool search tool Ray Peat Search made by @rijo , and I found an interview with Peat where a caller asks him to clarify how much of his sugar intake is from fruit and how much from white sugar and how much he eats daily.
Ray said he tries to get all his sugars from fruit, and only uses white sugar when he has no fruit, which I assume is rare. he also said he consumes around 1500-1600 calories of sugar per day, which is more than half of his calories. So it is certainly a high carb diet, around 400-500 grams per day.

Heres the Herb doctor interview when he says it

It should be clipped but if not its at the 40 minute mark.

Why did you make such a misleading title? It's very clear it isn't "zero white sugar."

He tries to get all his sugar from fruit. I don't know why you assume it's "rare" that he has no fruit.

Herbie

He is careful about divulging much about cane sugar probably for good reason

EIRE24

Why did you make such a misleading title? It's very clear it isn't "zero white sugar."

He tries to get all his sugar from fruit. I don't know why you assume it's "rare" that he has no fruit.
How is it misleading? Last time I checked the sugar in fruit was not white sugar?

tankasnowgod

How is it misleading? Last time I checked the sugar in fruit was not white sugar?

Because Peat himself says that he tries to get it all from fruit, but when he doesn't have it, he uses white refined sugar.

Do you understand what the definition of "zero" is?

J

jb116

The sugar in fruit is precisely white sugar from a metabolic perspective. Really no difference.
You have to make your distinctions clearly.
If you say white sugar is different than a piece of fruit, that's sound.

Ficini

Am very curious if anyone eating this way has had blood work done
I do.
1 big melon, 1 big papaya, 1 liter orange juice, 1-200g raw honey (that's about 1200 calories from sugar)
2 liters skimmed milk,
chicharron 100g, parmegiano reggiano or/and gouda 50g
Haagen Dazs 4-5 tbsp
1-2 carrot, 1 tbsp coconut oil
two times a week - oysters 4-5, and beef liver 100g

What numbers are you interested for blood?

Last edited:
OP
G

gaze

my title was in relation to his day to day diet. it's clear daily he almost exclusively drinks OJ for his sugar daily, and the only times he probably doesn't have oj is if he's too lazy to go shop or it's sold out (he told me he only uses OJ concentrate when in America, so the supply is constant year round).

Last edited:
OP
G

gaze

@Spartan300 @Highserotonin90 @Bad Linhat

I agree about the difficulties of consuming that consistently. for example if someone has to go to work (as in most people), when there's only a couple opportunities to eat in a day, trying to drink 3 quarts of OJ and 2 quarts of milk is extremely difficult. Ray does have the luxury of being at home all day to just nibble constantly. A starch and meat diet is helpful for people who have to "make up" the calories in one sitting, although the digestive effects may be hard for some people. then again drinking 3 quarts of OJ can also be hard on the digestion. I think the important thing is to follow your own appetite and metabolic rate, so long as your craving sugar it's probably easy on digestion. Ray definitly doesn't force himself to drink that much, it's just how high his metabolic rate is

Spartan300

I'm finding that constant grazing isn't good for my stomach, I find I do better when my stomach gets to empty and rest.

When constantly filling it I'm bloated and I feel like I'm just carting around undigested food.

CLASH

currently I hit around 400-500g of sugar s day from fruit/ juice:
-70oz of juice (pineapple, grape, pomegranate)
-5-10oz of dried persimmon
-dried pineapple
-raisins
-frozen soursop pulp
-frozen passion fruit pulp
-frozen papaya pulp
-frozen mamey pulp

Rest of my diet is:
-beef tallow
-coconut oil
-raw carrots
-mixed cooked veg (carrot, broccoli, zucchinni, butternut squash, green beans, onion, some pepper and some tomato)
-seafood
-red meats
-sometimes eggs

Angel45

I feel sick if I eat only fruit for carbs especially in the winter. I gained a lot with adding in fruit, not sure if its because my liver is not handling the fructose. I try to get a minimum of 500mg choline to process the fructose but it's not working.

boris

Ray Peat buys 20 pound bags of sugar.

It surely goes somewhere. My guess is he drinks his coffees throughout the day with sugar. He says he sometimes likes to drink coffee first thing in the morning before eating, he brews very strong coffee, I can't imagine he drinks it without sufficient carbs added. He said he likes to drink a glass of milk with a tablespoon of sugar at night, don't know if this one is daily or just occasionally.

M

metabolizm

my title was in relation to his day to day diet. it's clear daily he almost exclusively drinks OJ for his sugar daily, and the only times he probably doesn't have oj is if he's too lazy to go shop or it's sold out (he told me he only uses OJ concentrate when in America, so the supply is constant year round).

I think he has sugar with his cafe con leche.