Ray Changed Mind On Sardines?

lvysaur

So many people seem to agree that Sardines are extremely nutritious, I'm thinking I might add them in once a week. I like that they are skinless. I think the skin is the thing that grosses me out the most. Do you think there is more PUFA in the skin too?
Just earlier in this thread, I stated that sardines are absolutely disgusting.

I tried some canned skinless sardines, and they were actually pretty good. Canned in olive oil, I steeped them in water for a while, dried and ate them.

I think the skin is the bad part. Which is weird, because the skin of other fish like bass and wild salmon tastes pretty good, even if high PUFA.

lvysaur

These fish have a characteristic taste which people mistake for flavor, where in fact it is the taste of ammonia intoxication.
Tilapia is likely the best farmed fish to eat.

I've had tilapia several times before, and it tastes anywhere from flavorless to slightly metallic, like tuna.

I've had farmed salmon and arctic char, and the fatty belly part tastes rank as ****. Wild salmon doesn't have that taste. The fat picks up more toxins.

DaveFoster

Yes. Not to play Devil's advocate, I've never been able to figure out the exact reason. They are about 10-12% PUFA. MOL similar to Olive Oil and Palm Oil. I understand that in the SFA/PUFA hierarchy, that Coconut is better than any of these, which in turn are not nearly as bad the seed oils which run 50-60% PUFA.

So, is that it. "Not as good as Coconut"? Or is there something else that makes it "Just as bad as canola oil"?
Dr. Peat thinks that neither palm oil nor olive oil should be used in any significant quantity: maybe a teaspoon of either daily at the most.

EtienneAmelie

I like sardines. I eat them whole, with bones, skin and "organs", which I guess is pretty good for collagen and minerals. There is 1,5g of PUFA in 100g of them, along with 3g of SFA+MUFA (at least, that is what is stated on the can).

ddjd

I have to add though, that proper sardines, mackerel, spanish mackerel, and a few others are the rankest things I've ever eaten, even when completely fresh.
i absolutely love mackerel. cant get enough of it. theres clearly something in it that my body needs/wants

Mossy

i absolutely love mackerel. cant get enough of it. theres clearly something in it that my body needs/wants
Holy mackerel.

boris

I heard Peat in an interview he said he had some sardines for dinner. I'm sure he doesn't eat 100s of grams, but a few sardines. It will be a very miniscule amount of PUFA. Maybe he even refried them in CO.

Don't forget, Peat also eats chicken wings, bacon, and tacos :lol:. It's all about balance.

Any thought on herring? I have no idea what the pufa content is but smoked herring is one of the few seafoods I actually like besides mahi-mahi, lobsters and shrimp...and maybe cod if its battered and fried in coconut oil.

boris

According to google..

100g of Herring:
Fat 12 g
SFA 2,6 g
PUFA 2,7 g
MUFA 4,8 g

Cara

Sardines are really high in calcium, have excellent protein, and are pretty much the lowest in mercury/toxins, PUFA be damned.
I love sardines with my carrots salad and some nutritional yeast. Heck I’ll dip pork rinds with it too. Dont fear sardines for PUFA. In spain they eat so much seafood and olives, lots of vitamin E.
Just avoid seed oils and don’t stress animal PUFA.

B

Braveheart

I love sardines with my carrots salad and some nutritional yeast. Heck I’ll dip pork rinds with it too. Dont fear sardines for PUFA. In spain they eat so much seafood and olives, lots of vitamin E.
Just avoid seed oils and don’t stress animal PUFA.
:thumbsup: :darts:

LA

pdf download also a text version with many misspellings

. . . page 48

Stress diseases typically have a dominant allergic aspect. and respond to steroids. Cortisone is used medically, but has side effects which could be avoided by using progesterone (though "medical" progesterone usually contains allergenic solvents and " preservatives" such as phenol). Niacin , vitamin A, vitamin C, etc., help to produce progesterone, and so often help in stress diseases, though the manufactured substances are themselves somewhat allergenic . (Vitamin A is not usually " manufactured .") Light deprivation can be remedied artific ially. but the necessary brightness is usually underestimated. Because an adequate diet is hard to get in our culture, which makes it 'illegal to sell the thyroid gland as food, it is often necessary to buy this powdered meat in tablet form from your physiCian and druggist. Meat eaters would normally get V4 to % grain of thyroid in their food every day if the whole animal were used. Eggs, sardines, oysters, chicken stew (nonvestrogenized chickens). etc ., are examples of ··unrefined" protein foods which shouldn·t interfere with thyroid function.

PeatBull

Oh boy...he just said that some cans would be usefull in case of an apocaliptic event....

P

Peatness

Oh boy...he just said that some cans would be usefull in case of an apocaliptic event....
He better not change his mind. I rushed out and bought lots of canned sadines in water after I heard him say that.

PeatBull

Y
He better not change his mind. I rushed out and bought lots of canned sadines in water after I heard him say that.
you guys....the man is saying everytime, MIND THE CONTEXT, sure canned sardines would be good in case of food chain disruption, but we are not at that stage yet. You can get better protein with less pufas for your daily diet.

P

Peatness

Y

you guys....the man is saying everytime, MIND THE CONTEXT, sure canned sardines would be good in case of food chain disruption, but we are not at that stage yet. You can get better protein with less pufas for your daily diet.
My supply of canned stuff is for "when that time comes." I believe that time is closer than we think. I would never ordinarily entertain canned food of any kind

LA

about 6-8 months after Fukushima radiation hit the ocean all the shrimp tasted weird and the one 'newer' can of sardines I tried since then didnt taste as good as usual. They usually taste very good when we take them out of the can leaving behind the oil or water and then squezing a lemon on them. We grow Meyer lemons which are sweeter with thinner skin and no seeds. About a year before the covid-scam breakdown the surfers on the west-coast were still reporting radiation readings. Will give the sardines and shrimp another try when I read more reports

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals