Ray basics...

timthai

Hi some basic questions. Ray's page and this blog has a lot of info.. I have been reading it, but still not know some basics.
Why we should eat carrots in the afternoon? How much?
Why and how much honey or sugar we should eat?
And how much and why eat salt?

Mittir

Carrot

You can eat raw carrot any time you want.
But afternoon carrot salad gives better results.
It clears up the intestine and one can go to sleep
with a less stressful body. It particularly lowers night time
serotonin rise. Darkness and not eating for 8-10 hours during sleep
is a major stress.

Honey/Sugar

Honey and table sugar are not essential part of his recommendation.
Milk and Sweet ripe fruits are the best source of sugar.
But the difference between fruit juice and honey/sugar is
that sugar is devoid of vitamins and minerals.
But one can easily combine pure sugar and other low calorie
nutrient source to make it equivalent to fruit juice.
Vegetable broth, cucumber juice, starch free potato juice are rich in
vitamin minerals and low in calories.
You can use cronometer.com to make sure you are getting
required vitamins and minerals with or without sugar.

Salt

RP recommendation is to follow salt craving.
Hypothyroid people are prone to sodium loss in urine.
If you think that you have good amount of salt intake and your
salt related stress hormone is normal then you do not need to
worry about salt. Low sodium intake increase aldosterone.
If you are curious you check blood level of sodium and aldosterone.

OP
T

timthai

Thanks.. Mittir, How many carrots is required?
Is that a salad only with carrots, or other vegetables and fruits too?
Thanks

Mittir

1 carrot is recommended . But some people tried carrot salad twice a day
and found it beneficial. Carrot is high in beta carotene and that is a main
limiting factor. If your palm turns orange then it is a possible
sign of excess carrot in the diet. In raw carrot salad, very small amount of
carotene and other nutrients are absorbed.

pboy

mittir pretty much covered it all. The carrot is like a pipe cleaner...you want it after most of your main meals, though you can eat them anytime, to sweep residue out of the intestine so when you wake up you have a good clear bowel movement. It also helps reduce the fermentation of residue from other food you may eat. You don't need more than 2 carrots ever really, 1 or even half of 1 works. Coconut and vinegar aren't actually necessary but some people like it for palatability. Salt Id say it depends on a lot of factors, but probably 1-3 grams (of sodium...somewhere like 1/2 to 6 tsp salt) a day is a good range to start with. Sugar...I think Ray said you could be fine with 150 grams, but many when they need to heal or following a stressful episode...even just a difficult daily grind, can and probably should eat more sugar to help reset the cells metabolic cycle in a positive way. If you are really active or drinking a lot of stimulating things, you could probably even go up to 500 or more grams a day. Its really only when sweetness becomes unappetizing that sugar is no longer a good option. If you crave sugar, its a clear sign to as soon as possible get some in for the sake of reducing stress and giving a sense of positive reinforcement

OP
T

timthai

pboy said:
mittir pretty much covered it all. The carrot is like a pipe cleaner...you want it after most of your main meals, though you can eat them anytime, to sweep residue out of the intestine so when you wake up you have a good clear bowel movement. It also helps reduce the fermentation of residue from other food you may eat. You don't need more than 2 carrots ever really, 1 or even half of 1 works. Coconut and vinegar aren't actually necessary but some people like it for palatability. Salt Id say it depends on a lot of factors, but probably 1-3 grams (of sodium...somewhere like 1/2 to 6 tsp salt) a day is a good range to start with. Sugar...I think Ray said you could be fine with 150 grams, but many when they need to heal or following a stressful episode...even just a difficult daily grind, can and probably should eat more sugar to help reset the cells metabolic cycle in a positive way. If you are really active or drinking a lot of stimulating things, you could probably even go up to 500 or more grams a day. Its really only when sweetness becomes unappetizing that sugar is no longer a good option. If you crave sugar, its a clear sign to as soon as possible get some in for the sake of reducing stress and giving a sense of positive reinforcement

Thanks pboy. I definitely have cravings for sugars. Before I was able to control my cravings, but not anymore. Can I eat chocolate for sugar? I should avoid all muffins, danish etc. right?

You said carrots help reduce fermentation.... I actually like fermented vegetables and make and eat them often. Are you talking about fermentation in colon being bad, or that any fermentation is bad?
I have read in many sources that fermented vegetables are very healthy.. they are full of good bacteria etc.
Also milk should be full fat or low fat?
How about ice cream, full fat?
In Ray's protocol should one worry about calories and excess fat?
I think I have gained 3 lbs, since starting drinking milk, honey, sugars, OJ, fruit, etc. of course I am just getting started and not doing it right yet :)
Why chicken is bad? I like to eat chicken.

Filip1993

Yes, calories matters even if you eat Peat approved foods. If you start drinking quarts of whole milk and eating haagen daz every night you definitely gonna put on some weight. I did that in the beginning. Just eat until you are satisfied and don't go overboard with the fat.

Infinite Fred

timthai said:
I should avoid all muffins, danish etc. right?

Yes, because of the starch/Pufa content

timthai said:
Are you talking about fermentation in colon being bad, or that any fermentation is bad?

Peat says that fermentation in the colon is bad because of the buildup of endotoxin, mostly due to undercooked starch, cellulose and other undigestible matter. Also fermentation made by bacteria may be a problem due to the creation of lactic acid which can be a strain to the liver and may also eventually lead to fibrosis. However, some fermented foods here and there probably won't be much of a problem.

timthai said:
Also milk should be full fat or low fat?
How about ice cream, full fat?
In Ray's protocol should one worry about calories and excess fat?
I think I have gained 3 lbs, since starting drinking milk, honey, sugars, OJ, fruit, etc. of course I am just getting started and not doing it right yet :)

As stated above, Ray does recommend LOW FAT milk (1-2%) and not going overboard on the ice cream if weight gain is an issue for you. Some fat is necessary however for vitamin absorption and digestibility. You will eventually find a fine balance ;)

timthai said:
Why chicken is bad? I like to eat chicken.

Since chickens aren't ruminants, there fat content will be a reflection of what they eat, i.e in most cases corn and soy = high Pufa content. Also if you only eat the white chicken meat like chicken breasts its good to balance it out with some gelatin.

Hope that helps! :)