Raw thyroid - okay to take at night?

Violet

Just started supping with this, and it makes me feel strange... in a good way! But it also makes me quite tired or something... Just wondering if anyone takes it at night before bed or is this not recommended? I have insomnia and I'm wondering if it might help with it.

OP
Violet

Violet

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
About the article you posted, Ray Peat says to take it with a meal. Also, he does not seem to worried about having calcium with it.

As for timing, you need to find what works best for you. Some people do better dosing before bedtime, others report of sleep being disturbed if taking it too close to bed. For me, I notice I do much better if I take all my doses before 3pm.

Bluebell

Violet said:
Just started supping with this, and it makes me feel strange... in a good way! But it also makes me quite tired or something... Just wondering if anyone takes it at night before bed or is this not recommended? I have insomnia and I'm wondering if it might help with it.

Yes, you can take it at night too. I wouldn't take my daily dose then, but I'd have some of it at bed if I wanted.

It's a good sign you feel tired, hopefully that is your stress hormones switching off and letting you get the rest you really need. I felt like that too when I started.

What brand of raw thyroid are you taking?

OP
Violet

Violet

Charlie said:
About the article you posted, Ray Peat says to take it with a meal. Also, he does not seem to worried about having calcium with it.

As for timing, you need to find what works best for you. Some people do better dosing before bedtime, others report of sleep being disturbed if taking it too close to bed. For me, I notice I do much better if I take all my doses before 3pm.

Thanks Charlie - that's really good advice! I experimented today with taking it a little earlier than usual, and on an empty stomach - very different effect! Not as strong or something. How do you notice the differences between taking it at differnt times of day?

Interesting to keep exploring!

OP
Violet

Violet

Bluebell said:
Violet said:

Yes, you can take it at night too. I wouldn't take my daily dose then, but I'd have some of it at bed if I wanted.

It's a good sign you feel tired, hopefully that is your stress hormones switching off and letting you get the rest you really need. I felt like that too when I started.

What brand of raw thyroid are you taking?

Thanks Bluebell! I took it earlier today and didnt feel tired at all... strange. I'm taking Natural Sources, Raw Thyroid. How about you?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Violet said:
How do you notice the differences between taking it at differnt times of day?

If I take it at night it pushes my metabolism too high and causes stress hormones.

OP
Violet

Violet

Thank you both for your replies!

Have taken it four times now - it looks like if I take it on a full stomach I get tired! Strange.

Mittir

Charlie said:
RP acknowledges calcium lowers T4 absorption. So taking same dose with calcium and without calcium in meal
will have different effect on absorption of T4. One needs to be consistent with the way of taking supplement with T4
and find the right dose. IIRC 500 mg of calcium lowered t4 absorption by 25 percent.
I am guessing similar mechanism is applicable for dessicated thyroid too.
RP's recommendation to take T3 and dessicated with meal is the best option as T3 from dessicated thyroid
will slowly enter blood stream. Without meal T3 will absorbed quickly and will be gone quickly too,
as liver removes extra T3.

OP
Violet

Violet

Mittir said:
Charlie said:
RP acknowledges calcium lowers T4 absorption. So taking same dose with calcium and without calcium in meal
will have different effect on absorption of T4. One needs to be consistent with the way of taking supplement with T4
and find the right dose. IIRC 500 mg of calcium lowered t4 absorption by 25 percent.
I am guessing similar mechanism is applicable for dessicated thyroid too.
RP's recommendation to take T3 and dessicated with meal is the best option as T3 from dessicated thyroid
will slowly enter blood stream. Without meal T3 will absorbed quickly and will be gone quickly too,
as liver removes extra T3.

Mittir, thank you so much for this info. I looked it up and there's a study about calium and t4 that confirms what you're saying: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11716045

Would this mean that a high dairy diet might actually adversely affect t4 absorption?

Also, I read somewhere that taking raw thyroid at night might be good because it would allow for slower absortion... what do you think?

Mittir

I just did a search on raw thyroid and found this link
http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Sources-Ra ... sules/6016
If you are using this supplement i am not sure if it is really a dessicated
thyroid supplement. There are all sorts of things in it, including kelp.
I thought they are required to remove T4 and T3 from non prescription
thyroid supplement. It is not clear if there is T4 or T3 in this product
and if it does ,the amount is unknown. Our body produces about 4 mcg
of T3 per hour. If you get more than 4 mcg in a single dose body will destroy
the excess T3. when you get T3 with meal it enters blood stream slowly.
Even if some T4 is blocked by milk it is not a big problem. It simply decreases
the ratio of T4 to T3. I think you need to find out how much active hormone
is in the supplement. If there is some T3 in the supplement,
You can try much smaller dose with meals and see how it feels

OP
Violet

Violet

Thanks for the info!

Okay, I'm quite new to all this so forgive my newbie questions but - what qualifies something as dessicated thyroid? This sup has thyroid tissue in it... does that not supply T4 or T3?

I'm not even sure how to find out how much active hormone is in the sup.. email the manufacturer?

Problem with dairy decreasing the ratio of t4 to t3 is that in my case my t4 is what's too low. My t3 isnt great (within 20%) but my t4 is borderline...

J

j.

Violet said:
Problem with dairy decreasing the ratio of t4 to t3 is that in my case my t4 is what's too low. My t3 isnt great (within 20%) but my t4 is borderline...
Take more? That would keep the new ratio AND the level of T4.

Mittir

Dessicated thyroid has both T4 and T3 in it. But there are some products sold as thyroid glandular
where they remove the T4 and T3 and sell the stuff as thyroid tissue supplement. Here is an example
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swanson-Thyroid ... B00412WK10
For most hypothyroid people main problem is converting T4 to T3. It depends on individual.
Some do well on 4:1 and some needs 3:1. As long as your T3 level and TSH are fine, T4 is not a big deal.

OP
Violet

Violet

Mittir said:
Dessicated thyroid has both T4 and T3 in it. But there are some products sold as thyroid glandular
where they remove the T4 and T3 and sell the stuff as thyroid tissue supplement. Here is an example
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swanson-Thyroid ... B00412WK10
For most hypothyroid people main problem is converting T4 to T3. It depends on individual.
Some do well on 4:1 and some needs 3:1. As long as your T3 level and TSH are fine, T4 is not a big deal.

Ah okay. I think this brand might be okay. My friend (who's a Peat pro) found it for me.

My main problem is actually oestrogen dominance. From what I understand, the excess oestrogen is preventing my thyroid from producing t4. I'm converting fine: I just dont have much to convert! I figured getting my t4 up would get the t3 up too, and that would help with the oestrogen dominance.

OP
Violet

Violet

j. said:
Violet said:
Take more? That would keep the new ratio AND the level of T4.

LOL - taking more is my answer to everything too ;) I'm tempted, but this raw thyroid is already making me feel like I'm on ecstasy... taking two might be trippy. Which might be fine if I take it at night... ;)

Mittir

Violet said:
My main problem is actually oestrogen dominance. From what I understand, the excess oestrogen is preventing my thyroid from producing t4. I'm converting fine: I just dont have much to convert! I figured getting my t4 up would get the t3 up too, and that would help with the oestrogen dominance.

Things can be little more complicated. Estrogen blocks secretion of thyroid hormone from gland. But
estrogen also increases cortisol production and high cortisol blocks T4 to T3 conversion in liver.

OP
Violet

Violet

Mittir said:
Violet said:

Things can be little more complicated. Estrogen blocks secretion of thyroid hormone from gland. But
estrogen also increases cortisol production and high cortisol blocks T4 to T3 conversion in liver.

I know :( Is there a process you'd specifically advise?

Peata

Hi Violet, It's been a couple months and I was just wondering how you are doing on the raw thyroid?

I started it today.