Raw mushrooms

Coderr

I want to consume raw mushrooms. It will be from white button mushrooms. Will it have a negative effect on digestion?

I want to consume raw mushrooms. It will be from white button mushrooms. Will it have a negative effect on digestion?
I personally have no problems with digesting raw mushrooms, but Ray Peat says they are toxic. He says well cooked mushrooms are very beneficial for clearing out excess estrogens.

retroactive

the fiber content maybe doesn't change much with cooking so it may not affect your digestion. you can always try and see. The cooking is for deactivating carcinogens - hydrazine

reaching

Why does he advocate cooking for such an ungodly amount of time while insisting the carrots be raw? He must be trolling us.

When I actually cook mushrooms for more than an hour, they reduce in size incredibly. Almost to nothing really. I should do a before and after picture.

boris

Why does he advocate cooking for such an ungodly amount of time while insisting the carrots be raw? He must be trolling us.

When I actually cook mushrooms for more than an hour, they reduce in size incredibly. Almost to nothing really. I should do a before and after picture.

Carrots grow underground, so they don't have the same type of defensive chemicals as something that grows above ground like mushrooms. Mushrooms have hydrazine for example, which is carcinogenic, so it should be cooked off.

They do shrink and get really dark, and unattractive, but actually concentrated in flavor too. I don't get a stomach ache eating them lightly sauteed, but cooked ouch. Maybe I needed to toss the water out early on? I am scared to try again.

Last edited:
OP
C

Coderr

They do shrink and get really dark, and unattractive, but actually concentrated in flavor too. I don't get a stomach ache eating them lightly sauteed, but cooked ouch. May I needed to toss the water early on? I am scared to try again.
How long can it stay in the refrigerator without spoiling?

reaching

Carrots grow underground, so they don't have the same type of defensive chemicals as something that grows above ground like mushrooms. Mushrooms have hydrazine for example, which is carcinogenic, so it should be cooked off.

I see, I see. Thank you.
That makes a little bit more sense but for 3 hours seems excessive.
It seems like cooking something for so long would create some carcinogenic properties as well.

reaching

They do shrink and get really dark, and unattractive, but actually concentrated in flavor too. I don't get a stomach ache eating them lightly sauteed, but cooked ouch. May I needed to toss the water early on? I am scared to try again.

I usually just sautee now because white button mushrooms arent super cheap where I live and are actually smaller than the ones found in the states.
I would have to cook a ton of them to get a substantial amount after cooking for 1 to 3 hours.
I stick with shiitake, maitake, and enoki mushrooms. Mostly shiitake cooked in coconut oil or cooked in shallow water before adding some meat or eggs.

IROM

Just made mushroom ramen with bonebroth, parsley and chicken liver. Mushrooms were only cooked in bone broth for about 30 min. And they were already starting to taste really good. Cooking longer does enhance flavor especially when stewing them in bone broth.

With parsley, mushrooms and celery I think it was a very good anti-aromatase meal.

Edit: out of all the aromatase inhibitors, apparently celery contains Luteolin which actually stops production of aromatse whereas the others just bind to aromatase and inactivate it but do not stop production.

Kykeon

The sporophores of Agaricus bisporus also contain the enzyme ~-glutamyltransferase, which catalyzes the cleavage of agaritin (Fig. 1, 1) to glutamine/iure (2) and p-hydroxmethylphenylhydrazine (3). The latter compound can also be enzymatically converted in the fungus to 4-hydroxymethylbenzene-diazoniurnione (4).
In recent years, several publications have appeared, namely from the working group of Toth, suggesting that hydrazine derivatives of the type found in as found in Agaricus bisporus, may have a genotoxic effect [4-11]. Agaritin itself has been shown to be noncarcinogenic in long-term experiments with mice [8]. Both the chemical and biological data on the decomposition reactions and secondary products of agaritin in edible mushrooms are still incomplete and require further clarification.

Agaritine purified from Agaricus blazei Murrill exerts anti-tumor activity against leukemic cell (probably not only toxic to the cancer)

The highest amount of agaritine was found in dried mushroom powder and canned mushrooms had only 1/10 of the compound.
Younger mushrooms contain more argaritine than older ones. Mushrooms can accumulate heavy metals if grown in heavy metal rich soil. Most of the a. is found in the caps.

Interesting threads i have found:
Why Cook Mushrooms?
If someone can tell where i can read the newsletter where ray has written about mushrooms i would appreciate it.
Ray recommends cooking them for 45 minutes at least to denature the hydrazine, and he says the broth should be consumed.

In the study above they measured the argaritine in canned mushrooms, and the water of the canned mushrooms still had argaritin in it, so i would not use the broth if the mushrooms were only boiled for a short amount of time.

"The agaritine content in fresh mushrooms was found to be in the range of 94- 629 mg/kg fresh weight. Canned mushrooms contained 1-55 mg/kg drained weight with 3-103 mg/1 in the liquid. The highest agaritine values were found in dried commercial mushrooms amounting to 2,110- 6,905 mg/kg"

So the values can vary a lot, if you want to eat raw mushrooms try to chose older ones or dont eat one from the genus Agaricus - oyster mushrooms do not have the compound according to a study.

IROM

Very interesting. I used to take mushroom powders and had never considered how poisonous they were. I did stop taking them when they gave me allergic reactions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals