Raw Milk And Mood

MSH

Well, I was excited to hear that a local farm started carrying raw milk. So, I grabbed up a few gallons of it. It is delicious! I haven't noticed any stomach discomfort, but my mood has rapidly gone south! This is the only change I've made so this has to be it. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks

OP
M

MSH

Could be bacteria.

Thanks DaveFoster. Should I try and just take in very small amounts over time to allow myself to adjust and benefit from the possible benefits of the bacteria or just avoid altogether and stay with grass fed pasteurized milk?

Thanks

DaveFoster

@MSH

"Possible benefits of the bacteria" seems presumptuous. The anti inflammatory benefits of the bacteria cultures probably derive from immunosuppression, but I haven't looked into it extensively.

michael94

Probably bacteria involved but Ray makes a point that the bacteria that grow on milk are generally quite safe. A likely possibility is that you're not digesting the proteins and that can have quite a significant effect on your mood. Pasteurization helps denature those. Something you could try is simmering the milk on low temp for 15-20 minutes like if it were vat-pasteurized.

OP
M

MSH

@MSH

"Possible benefits of the bacteria" seems presumptuous. The anti inflammatory benefits of the bacteria cultures probably derive from immunosuppression, but I haven't looked into it extensively.

I agree about me being presumptuous here.

OP
M

MSH

Probably bacteria involved but Ray makes a point that the bacteria that grow on milk are generally quite safe. A likely possibility is that you're not digesting the proteins and that can have quite a significant effect on your mood. Pasteurization helps denature those. Something you could try is simmering the milk on low temp for 15-20 minutes like if it were vat-pasteurized.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the info and advice. Will I lose much of the benefit of consuming raw milk by pasteurizing it myself? It's pretty expensive and if it's not going to be significantly better than grass fed pasteurized milk I can buy at the store I'm just going to pass on it. Thanks

jyb

@MSH

No, I don't think the anti inflammatory effects from dairy bacteria are due to immunosuppression.

OP
M

MSH

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that my blood pressure has shot up too. It may just be because I've gotten so agitated?

michael94

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the info and advice. Will I lose much of the benefit of consuming raw milk by pasteurizing it myself? It's pretty expensive and if it's not going to be significantly better than grass fed pasteurized milk I can buy at the store I'm just going to pass on it. Thanks
Raw milk tastes really good doesn't it. There may be benefits lost by cooking but if you're not digesting properly then that's all in vain. 1 step forward 2 steps back you know? Cows milk has a lot more protein and of a different structure than human breast milk so keep that in mind. I think a little help breaking those proteins down is a good idea. And there are many ways milk is cooked/pasteurize ... they all taste very different and have different effects on the proteins. If you boil/scald the milk it will taste a lot different than if you simmer at 150F for 20 minutes. Just like cooking anything else so just go with your gut.

jyb

I doubt that pasteurization helps milk protein break down.

OP
M

MSH

Raw milk tastes really good doesn't it. There may be benefits lost by cooking but if you're not digesting properly then that's all in vain. 1 step forward 2 steps back you know? Cows milk has a lot more protein and of a different structure than human breast milk so keep that in mind. I think a little help breaking those proteins down is a good idea. And there are many ways milk is cooked/pasteurize ... they all taste very different and have different effects on the proteins. If you boil/scald the milk it will taste a lot different than if you simmer at 150F for 20 minutes. Just like cooking anything else so just go with your gut.
Yes it does taste good! It was my first time trying it and I was surprised how much better it was. You make some great points. Thanks for your input. It is still hard to believe how quickly and powerfully this affected my mood! I hope this isn't an indicator of a more serious underlying problem? Thanks!

What fat % is the milk?

Raw milk is not necessary. Just because heat destroys lactase doesn't mean that the milk is then "bad" or that you don't absorb the nutrients.

OP
M

MSH

What fat % is the milk?

Raw milk is not necessary. Just because heat destroys lactase doesn't mean that the milk is then "bad" or that you don't absorb the nutrients.

It does not indicate the fat % on the jug. What is the importance of this? Thanks.

It does not indicate the fat % on the jug. What is the importance of this? Thanks.

Too much fat at once, such as whole milk, can bring down mood by decreasing the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the brain.

If the farmer doesn't care to label the milk then I wouldn't trust him.

OP
M

MSH

Too much fat at once, such as whole milk, can bring down mood by decreasing the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the brain.

If the farmer doesn't care to label the milk then I wouldn't trust him.

That's interesting about fat and mood. Does this apply to all types of fat?

Thanks

Dave Clark

Ask your farmer what kind of cows he uses for his milk. I am not that well read on it, but different cows produce milk that has different proteins, A1 or A2. I believe, but please do your own search, that the A2 is the milk you want due to being less inflammatory, etc. This could have an effect on you if it is the wrong protein. If I recall correctly, the Holstein cows are A1, and the Jersey, or Guernsey cows are A2. Like I said, just some food for thought, I am not an expert on this subject (and it is possible I have this backwards). I have been using raw organic grass-fed milk, cheese, etc. from my Mentonite farmer for years with no problems, he has Jersey cows.

OP
M

MSH

Ask your farmer what kind of cows he uses for his milk. I am not that well read on it, but different cows produce milk that has different proteins, A1 or A2. I believe, but please do your own search, that the A2 is the milk you want due to being less inflammatory, etc. This could have an effect on you if it is the wrong protein. If I recall correctly, the Holstein cows are A1, and the Jersey, or Guernsey cows are A2. Like I said, just some food for thought, I am not an expert on this subject (and it is possible I have this backwards). I have been using raw organic grass-fed milk, cheese, etc. from my Mentonite farmer for years with no problems, he has Jersey cows.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Does anyone know if Organic Valleys Grass Milk is good quality?

OP
M

MSH

I hope he is right about the safe part. I'm scared that my reaction is due to a bad bacterial infection. Now, my mood and blood pressure have returned to normal now, but I hear some of those infections like ecoli can start presenting symptoms up to a week later, not to mention some of the other possible infections. I think I am spooked from trying raw milk in the future. I think I will just try and get all my milk goodness from pasteurized and homogenized products.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals