Raw milk and gas

Hoodlt

I have been trying to lose some weight and heal the thyroid (if that is possible). I am doing lots of coffee with raw milk, gelatin, and sugar (yum!). No gas from that. I am also doing smoothies with gelatin, oj, oranges, raw eggs, and raw milk. No gas from that either. Last night before I went to bed, I was a little hungry so I chugged some raw milk before bed with some salt. Boy was I gassy all night. Any idea why the milk on it's own makes me so gassy? It is raw Jersey milk. Thanks. :oops: Or, if you have any other great tips for losing some weight while Peating...I am all ears.. and belly!

jyb

It shouldn't be any different than pasteurised milk in terms of digestion or gas (i.e., none)...but it could be an initial effect.

A

Anonymous

Yea give it time. Your body will adapt. If it continues you may have intestinal inflammation so aspirin or cyproheptadine may be helpful.

tara

If it was a one off occurrence, it could just be coincidence, or something else you ate, or some accidental different bugs ingested?

OP
H

Hoodlt

I think I might give the aspirin a shot. Can I start with a baby aspirin? Any suggestions for getting started would be greatly appreciated.

schultz

Maybe the bacteria in the milk?
Something the animal ate?
Maybe it's not the milk at all but something else you ate?
It may be possible that eating one thing may activate peristalsis further down in the large intestine where some other food is.

I drink both raw milk and pasteurized milk and haven't noticed a difference between the two, though it's raw goats milk so it might be different.

Dean

Peat has said that adding sugar or honey, or eating fruit, with milk helps with digestibility. I've noticed that in my own case. Could be why you tolerated the souped-up milk you drank earlier in the day, but not the milk alone?

Protein can also be difficult to digest late in the day. If you chugged down a bunch just before bed, that could be the problem too.

robertf

So you said that you had raw milk with SALT, then you and everyone else skipped over the salt and pretended you had plain milk. ???

Anyway, milk and salt is one of the combos in ayurveda that is not good. It is supposed to be treated as a fruit as it digests sweet. And they recommend always boiling milk fwiw.

Also my experience as a raw milk drinker and a cooked milk drinker is that it absolutely makes a difference depending on where you are at with your health. I think the healthier you are the less you will notice a difference.

schultz

robertf said:
So you said that you had raw milk with SALT, then you and everyone else skipped over the salt and pretended you had plain milk. ???

Haha, yah I never noticed that! I think because after he says he had it with salt he asks the question, paraphrased, "Any idea why milk by itself makes me gassy?".

I just found this article coincidentally.

They tested a bunch of salt and fat combinations but basically mice eating a high fat and high salt diet gained much less weight than mice eating a high fat and low salt diet. Intake of calories was the same! The study also claims there was no difference in metabolic rate or amount of exercise. Here is a quote from the article...

"'This suppression of weight gain with increased sodium was due entirely to a reduced efficiency of the digestive tract to extract calories from the food that was consumed,' explains Grobe."

So there actually could be something to the milk/salt thing that robertf mentioned.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals