Raw Honey Vs Pure Maple Syrup?

cyclops

Wondering which is "better?"

I have access to rather high-quality of each, and since they are similar price, and I use them in similar fashion, I wonder: which one is doing me more good?

Is one of these more nutritious then the other? or have any very special properties the other does not? If I had to guess, I'm leaning towards honey, because it has been spoken of so highly, but I think I may have heard Peat say that maple syrup is even better if not allergenic. Neither seem allergenic for me.

Also the honey is raw; it's raw, organic, and unfiltered. The maple syrup isn't raw, just organic. Maybe that gives honey the edge?

Edit: I also have access to high-quality raw agave syrup, so that is an option as well.

tara

I have access to rather high-quality of each, and since they are similar price, and I use them in similar fashion, I wonder: which one is doing me more good?
If I were in your shoes I'd have both in the cupboard, and eat of them as taste preferred from day to day. I think the nutrient makeup is a bit different (eg IIRC, a potentially useful bit of manganese in maple syrup?), and possibly different between different kinds of honey, too. What is 'best' may depend on what you personally are in need of?

schultz

The maple syrup has more nutrients but may have some allergens in it from being cooked. I remember Ray saying that if maple syrup could be reduced in a vacuum, or something along these lines, it would be great. I have the feeling honey has things in it we haven't discovered. For one thing, honey actually prevents cavities. That being said, there may actually be things in maple syrup that we haven't discovered. If you were trying to be really cautious with your health I would choose honey, though personally I use both. Maple syrup tastes so darn good, especially in milk.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Yea, I will probably keep both on hand. I do like the taste of both, so this way I can have what I'm in the mood for.

I like the taste of Agave Syrup the least, I'm guessing that doesn't have anything special in it? Nothing worth consuming if I dont enjoy it.

B-styles

Is one of these more nutritious then the other? or have any very special properties the other does not? If I had to guess, I'm leaning towards honey, because it has been spoken of so highly, but I think I may have heard Peat say that maple syrup is even better if not allergenic. Neither seem allergenic for me.

Also the honey is raw; it's raw, organic, and unfiltered. The maple syrup isn't raw, just organic. Maybe that gives honey the edge?

Edit: I also have access to high-quality raw agave syrup, so that is an option as well.

I'd say honey over maple though both are different. Honey has far more enzymes, antibacterial effects and blood sugar balancing properties than maple. Maple has more minerals ?

Barry

Yea, I will probably keep both on hand. I do like the taste of both, so this way I can have what I'm in the mood for.

I like the taste of Agave Syrup the least, I'm guessing that doesn't have anything special in it? Nothing worth consuming if I dont enjoy it.

But agave does have, by far, the highest percentage of fructose, which doesn't require insulin to be metabolized.

reality

It’s something to experiment with yourself though because maple syrup works perfectly for me, yet I’ve yet to find a honey that doesn’t give me gut issues in any significant amounts

koky

Dr. Peat says the cooking process done on maple syrup "CAN" make it allergenic.

Dr. B

Dr. Peat says the cooking process done on maple syrup makes it very allergenic.
is it just heating the syrup or what does the process involve that makes it allergenic?
someone mentioned Peat doesnt like maple syrup at all due to toxins it contains or something
@Rinse & rePeat did you post about Peats comments on maple syrups that he preferred grade A to grade B but actually didnt like it at all

it seems Peat likes honey more
Also, honey can be room temperature, forever and never expire
whereas maple syrup apparently needs to be refrigerated after opening

is it just heating the syrup or what does the process involve that makes it allergenic?
someone mentioned Peat doesnt like maple syrup at all due to toxins it contains or something
@Rinse & rePeat did you post about Peats comments on maple syrups that he preferred grade A to grade B but actually didnt like it at all

it seems Peat likes honey more
Also, honey can be room temperature, forever and never expire
whereas maple syrup apparently needs to be refrigerated after opening

I didn't post anything Ray Peat said about maple syrup, but I did post the difference between the two grades. Grade A is early harvest and less in "impurities", they usually filter them out in A grade maple syru. B grade maple syrup is late harvest and more developed with more nutrients, but more impurities. I said in my response in that post that, in an emergency situation, I would stock up on B grade syrup for it's nutrients.

Dr. B

I didn't post anything Ray Peat said about maple syrup, but I did post the difference between the two grades. Grade A is early harvest and less in "impurities", they usually filter them out in A grade maple syru. B grade maple syrup is late harvest and more developed with more nutrients, but more impurities. I said in my response in that post that, in an emergency situation, I would stock up on B grade syrup for it's nutrients.
ah I think someone said to me that Ray doesnt like any maple syrup as a regular part of the diet