Raw Carrot

M

metabolizm

Does anyone here eat a daily raw carrot, as Ray recommends? Have you been doing this for a while? What has been the effect?

The raw carrot salad, with oil and vinegar, is something that Ray has been promoting for literally decades. I don't think he's changed his mind about its benefits at all, although he now recommends cooked mushrooms as an alternative. As far as I know, he still eats a raw carrot every day.

I've had mixed results with it before, but have never been consistent enough. I'm going to try eating the carrot salad every day for a while now.

David90

Does anyone here eat a daily raw carrot, as Ray recommends? Have you been doing this for a while? What has been the effect?

The raw carrot salad, with oil and vinegar, is something that Ray has been promoting for literally decades. I don't think he's changed his mind about its benefits at all, although he now recommends cooked mushrooms as an alternative. As far as I know, he still eats a raw carrot every day.

I've had mixed results with it before, but have never been consistent enough. I'm going to try eating the carrot salad every day for a while now.

I have done this regulary 3-4 Times per Week. The Thing that was Fascinating was, that at my newest Blood Test (done last Week) my E2 was at 19 pg/ml, which is quite a surprise to say the least. My E2 was Normally between 30-35 pg/ml (from the Last Two Blood Tests). It could also be because of the Vitamin E which i also take regulary (2-3 Times per Week).

The Only Thing i do different is, i eat it as a whole with Coconut Oil. I do not peel it lengthwise or anything like that.

OP
M

metabolizm

Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about your estrogen levels being lowered?

How are your bowel movements with the raw carrot regularly? What is your general diet? (I think you said in another post that you eat a low-fibre diet).

OP
M

metabolizm

Two days in, and bowel movements have improved considerably as a result of including raw carrot and cooked mushrooms. Gut inflammation seems to be reduced. Wonderful.

Arnold Grape

I eat carrot salad with coconut oil; distilled white vinegar, and salt daily since March. The effect is undeniable: deeper breathing; less depression; better digestion (although not always perfect), and probably improved skin. My sense is that adding the vinegar was key, bc before this time I would just eat a carrot and possibly dip it in co.

OP
M

metabolizm

I eat carrot salad with coconut oil; distilled white vinegar, and salt daily since March. The effect is undeniable: deeper breathing; less depression; better digestion (although not always perfect), and probably improved skin. My sense is that adding the vinegar was key, bc before this time I would just eat a carrot and possibly dip it in co.

Yeah, I think the vinegar is an important addition to the salad. Have you tried boiled mushrooms too? It's good to have an alternative to the carrot salad in case it gets boring, although I think Ray said he's been eating a daily carrot for about thirty years!

Arnold Grape

Yea — the mushrooms are kind of a pain to make, so I typically make carrot salad about mid morning or early afternoon. There is without doubt marked difference while taking this. At lunch I typically eat some protein and drink a cola or drink something sugary to really get metabolism going.

Possibly once winter turns cold where I live, I will take the time to make mushrooms. Generally they are better to add to food in my case but great for transit time.

David90

Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about your estrogen levels being lowered?

How are your bowel movements with the raw carrot regularly? What is your general diet? (I think you said in another post that you eat a low-fibre diet).

Yes. Before this it was Higher (between 30-35 pg/ml from the Last Two Blood Tests). This Time it has gone down to 19 pg/ml. And i was doing it strictly 3-4 Times Per Week for Three Weeks beforehand. But It Could also be the Vitamin E that i was using. But i have not used it Two Weeks before the Blood Test so i doubt it.

Bowel Movements are good. Rarely (if at all) Problems with Digestion.

General Diet Looks like this:

Non-Workout Day:
-3 Eggs with One Slice Toast, 50g Cheese (Parmigano) & Ginger Pieces
-300g of Oranges or Tangerines
-100g Spinach
-Big Cup of Coffee with 2g of Salt

-40-50g of White Rice
-100g Cheese Again
-300ml Orange Juice
-30-35g of Gelatin with 200-250ml of Grass Fed Milk
-Small Cup of Coffee with 2g of salt

-150g Red Beets
-2 Kiwifruits
-80g of Vannila or Chocolate ICE Cream (German Supermarket Brand)
-20g of Gelatin combined with 35g Honey and 120ml of Grass Fed-Milk
-(Optional: 1-2 large RAW Carrots, 3-4x per Week)

Calories should be Around 2250-2300ish. Also Protein is mostly around 1,8-2g per KG of Bodyweight (145-150g). Carbs are 227g and Fats are around 88-90g. Fiber should be (without RAW Carrot) around 18-20g. In Winter Fiber goes slightly Higher (less Fruit Juices, More Fiberous or solid Fruits/Foods) where as in Summer it Goes Lower (More Fruit Juices, less Fiberous Fruits)

Only Thing i do differently for Workout Days is More Milk and More White Rice/Potatoes. But Not by Huge Amounts. It Adds (combined) maybe 400-450kcal.

Last edited:

ursidae

I did it every day for several months. Didn’t notice much besides it giving me carotenemia. At one point I did my own version and it was very very good for stimulating my stomach acid when I chewed on it a longer time. I could feel the heat in my stomach which betaine hcl never gave me. It consisted of:
Finely Grated carrot, beetroot, cucumber seasoned with vinegar, coconut oil, olive oil, sea salt, fresh lemon juice

HUF

@metabolizm
Yep I've done carrot salad pretty much daily for years it does what Ray says keeps the gut moving and cleans out endotoxin. My gut was pretty messed up when I started Ray's diet suggestions so I had to use taurine and glycine like @theLaw to lower my gut inflammation and clean my liver but now mainly just use the carrot, mushies and cascara for gut health and eating a metabolic boosting diet which boosts thyroid and helps the gut. BMs are now like 2-3 times per day most days no bloating, reflux gas or burping. Healing takes time though I advise people to stick with rays suggestions use mainly diet and things will heal in time, can take years though. All the best mate glad it's working for you.

Oh I also sometimes eat the whole carrot peeled, ungrated and mix up the grating also to fine and coarse grates. Salt, c oil and vinegar in all salads. I also once slow juiced carrots, chucked the juice and used the dry pulp from the juicer in a carrot salad which worked a treat.

Vileplume

@metabolizm
Yep I've done carrot salad pretty much daily for years it does what Ray says keeps the gut moving and cleans out endotoxin. My gut was pretty messed up when I started Ray's diet suggestions so I had to use taurine and glycine like @theLaw to lower my gut inflammation and clean my liver but now mainly just use the carrot, mushies and cascara for gut health and eating a metabolic boosting diet which boosts thyroid and helps the gut. BMs are now like 2-3 times per day most days no bloating, reflux gas or burping. Healing takes time though I advise people to stick with rays suggestions use mainly diet and things will heal in time, can take years though. All the best mate glad it's working for you.

Oh I also sometimes eat the whole carrot peeled, ungrated and mix up the grating also to fine and coarse grates. Salt, c oil and vinegar in all salads. I also once slow juiced carrots, chucked the juice and used the dry pulp from the juicer in a carrot salad which worked a treat.

I want to give Dr. Peat a hug

AdoTintor

I been doing "extreme carroting" which uses a blender to take out the juice (and a lot of the carotene) so I can eat more carrot per day. It results in a finely shredded carrot with a massively increased surface area - so I assume it will be equivalent to 100* normal carrot salad. But this is just speculation.

mrchibbs

I eat a carrot salad a few times a week with olive oil, vinegar and salt. But I like to mix it up with the mushrooms so I make a cream of mushroom soup pretty regularly

gaze

I eat a carrot salad a few times a week with olive oil, vinegar and salt. But I like to mix it up with the mushrooms so I make a cream of mushroom soup pretty regularly

how do you get salt to work? I heard ray mention salting it, but when I tried to put salt on mine I almost gagged, the tastes dont match up well with carrot and olive oil. I guess this question goes to everyone because alot of you mentioned salt

HUF

I throw a little balsamic vinegar in as well which tastes great

OP
M

metabolizm

@metabolizm

Thanks @HUF

I'm struggling to go full Peat because I don't seem to tolerate cow's milk very well (and I don't like goat's milk), so it's hard for me to get enough calories without starch. It's frustrating, because I really enjoy milk - but I'm just not digesting it properly (possible SIBO; certain gut inflammation). I'm hoping that my digestion will start to improve so I can replace some of the starch calories with dairy calories. Starch tends to cause problems but I need the calories. Ray said that carrot salad should help with the milk digestion. I hope he's right; he usually is.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrchibbs

how do you get salt to work? I heard ray mention salting it, but when I tried to put salt on mine I almost gagged, the tastes dont match up well with carrot and olive oil. I guess this question goes to everyone because alot of you mentioned salt

Have you tried freshly ground sea salt (or any ''boutique'' salt) ? I know typically canning salt is safer but those salts can be more gentle. If you gag you're probably putting too much salt in.

HUF

@metabolizm when I switched from paleo I couldn't tolerate milk either. I just started having the smallest amount of milk each day and slowly increased, my tolerance slowly increased over time and now I can drink 2ltrs+ if I feel like it. That may work for you or you may need to give your gut a bit more time to heal. All the best mate

OP
M

metabolizm

@metabolizm when I switched from paleo I couldn't tolerate milk either. I just started having the smallest amount of milk each day and slowly increased, my tolerance slowly increased over time and now I can drink 2ltrs+ if I feel like it. That may work for you or you may need to give your gut a bit more time to heal. All the best mate

Thanks @HUF
I think I'll persevere with it in small amounts for now.
So far so good with the carrot salad.
If you don't mind my asking, what does your diet look like now? It sounds like you've recovered from whatever damage was caused by eating a paleo diet?