Raw carrot giving me migraines

shatotto

So for the past few months anytime I have raw carrot (either by itself or in the salad form with olive oil, salt and apple cider vinegar) I get horrible migraines a few hours later and end up throwing up the whole contents of my stomach. Any idea what would be causing this reaction? I have no allergies that I know of. My hypothesis is that my body isn't used to the raw fiber yet and wants it out, but I'm not sure if that would cause migraines.

So for the past few months anytime I have raw carrot (either by itself or in the salad form with olive oil, salt and apple cider vinegar) I get horrible migraines a few hours later and end up throwing up the whole contents of my stomach. Any idea what would be causing this reaction? I have no allergies that I know of. My hypothesis is that my body isn't used to the raw fiber yet and wants it out, but I'm not sure if that would cause migraines.
Ray Peat says the carrot salad is powerful and can evoke a migraine. That is why he cautions to not eat more than one carrot, or maybe two. He recently says if the carrot salad causes migraines to I try a little oat bran instead, that is is a gentler method to do the same as the carrot.

burtlancast

Pretty sure it's the pesticides.

Try growing some yourself and see if you get the same reaction.

EvanHinkle

In the past I dealt with skin problems that I’ve determined were caused by endotoxin. Carrot salad was always problematic for me, but the fiber of the carrot also seemed paradoxically helpful.

Carrot salad is no longer problematic for me the way it was, but occasionally I will get dry skin on my hands and feet after carrot. 2 teaspoons of activated charcoal in about 8oz of water immediately resolves the issue for me. Perhaps the carrot is causing bacterial die off and it’s resulting in increased endotoxin for you?

TheCodez

I also cannot eat carrot (including organic). I have a tumor. Some foods make it hurt worse, some are benign. If I eat enough benign foods and avoid the troublesome ones, my pain is much better. Carrot (interestingly enough) is one of the foods that I have to avoid.

OP
S

shatotto

Ray Peat says the carrot salad is powerful and can evoke a migraine. That is why he cautions to not eat more than one carrot, or maybe two. He recently says if the carrot salad causes migraines to I try a little oat bran instead, that is is a gentler method to do the same as the carrot.
Do you have a link to where he said this? Not that I don't believe you I just want to read the context so I can understand the mechanism behind it! Thanks

Do you have a link to where he said this? Not that I don't believe you I just want to read the context so I can understand the mechanism behind it! Thanks
On page 33 in the thread linked below, in an interview, RP mentions carrots causing headaches in some people.

Attachments

• 8D5216C0-1899-4718-A10D-87DC2410631A.png
    8D5216C0-1899-4718-A10D-87DC2410631A.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

LuckyCat

Is it substantially different from FODMAPS?
It limits all fermentable carbs by assigning points to how many you can eat per day. Kind of weight watchers for SIBO. There’s an app with a wide list of foods and their points. It’s easy and works!

OP
S

shatotto

Damn I'm a 22M and pretty thin/constantly warm body temp so I thought I would have no problem digesting raw veg but I guess not.

Rinse & rePeat:

“I heard or read you saying somewhere that carrots can CAUSE headaches if one eats too many, am I remembering that right, and if so why would that be?”

RAY PEAT:

“When a person has a sluggish intestine, too much fiber too soon can make it function worse.”

Aspekt

Some people have a strong reaction to the vinegar unless other food is taken with the salad too, I personally do. If the carrot is taken alone just the fibre and salt can be a bit irritating. I don't have issues using just olive oil and salt on the carrot but leave out the vinegar and coconut oil.

It's also helpful to have some glucose with it and after, I've had times where I felt like a carrot salad alone with no glucose lead to hypoglycemia and a mild headache. I think experimenting with adding some other food/drink at the same time would be helpful, I don't believe having the salad in isolation makes much of a positive difference if there are issues arising from lack of fuel or simply the presence of an irritating mix of acidity/salinity.

cardochav

When I first started my journey experimenting with Peat's Discoveries years ago I had the same problem I would feel the benefits t right away from the carrot salad but then boom migraine. I solved that problem by waiting for at least 30 minutes after a full meal to eat a Carrot and definitely did not eat them as a meal replacement or later in the evening, since as Ray has mentioned, carrots can lower blood sugar, and especially in the those with digestive issues. People who are prone to migraines in my experience usually have high serotonin hence digestive issues and in my case become especially prone when blood sugar is low.

Reminds me of a coworker of mine a number of years ago who complained about getting migraines all the time while he was on metformin.

GMT100

Happened to me once when I didnt do olive oil n vinegar on the carrot just ate it raw. Terrible headache, blocked me up. Lesson learned.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals