Raw cacao a scam that is toxic

squanch

Raw cacao generally means not roasted. It's still fermented though.

Unfermented cacao would taste completely unpalatable and wouldn't have that typical chocolate taste.

Such_Saturation said:
post 98717 Mold also increases, though.
That's probably one reason why they started roasting cacao after the fermentation process

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mayans made a cooked cacao drink from roasted beans. For many foods, it is cooking that makes them usable to us.

"In this context, Jeanne Calment's life-long, daily consumption of chocolate comes to mind: As she approaches her 121st birthday, she is still eating chocolate, though she has stopped smoking and drinking wine. The saturated fats in chocolate have been found to block the toxicity of oils rich in linoleic acid, and its odd proteins seem to have an anabolic action." - RP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXAB9dNI2E

Can roasting destroy aflatoxin?

Dan W

From what I recall when I was scrutinizing Dave "Butterchomper" Asprey's coffee, roasting seems to knock out high percentages of mycotoxins. The longer/hotter the better, of course.

CoolTweetPete

Dan Wich said:
post 98797 From what I recall when I was scrutinizing Dave "Butterchomper" Asprey's coffee, roasting seems to knock out high percentages of mycotoxins. The longer/hotter the better, of course.

If I recall correctly Dave's argument was always that roasting is effective at removing molds, but not the mycotoxins because they are inorganic. That is why he claims he performs stringent testing after roasting (although he refuses to release any test data to the public because his testing methods are proprietary :roll:)

Is that another inaccurate claim he's making?

Dan W

CoolTweetPete said:
post 98800 If I recall correctly Dave's argument was always that roasting is effective at removing molds, but not the mycotoxins because they are inorganic.

Hmm, I'll have to track down the studies again, but I'm pretty sure there were a few where mycotoxin levels were lower after roasting. Even if roasting only kills the mold, I'd think that would still result in less mycotoxin long-term.

CoolTweetPete

Dan Wich said:
post 98805
CoolTweetPete said:
post 98800 If I recall correctly Dave's argument was always that roasting is effective at removing molds, but not the mycotoxins because they are inorganic.

Hmm, I'll have to track down the studies again, but I'm pretty sure there were a few where mycotoxin levels were lower after roasting. Even if roasting only kills the mold, I'd think that would still result in less mycotoxin long-term.

That's a fair assumption to make. I don't buy Dave's marketing that any detectable level of mycotoxins will 'damage your performance'. This is some weird modern day germaphobia he has.

jyb

CoolTweetPete said:
That's a fair assumption to make. I don't buy Dave's marketing that any detectable level of mycotoxins will 'damage your performance'. This is some weird modern day germaphobia he has.

There could just be some people like him who are allergic. As for the rest, it is always a debate whether it is good or bad or inconsequential to be moderately exposed to toxins. For the case of mycotoxins in coffee or chocolate, I would say such exposure has probably negligible effect that a healthy gut and diet should handle without problems (I include diet, because it controls the immune response and how things get absorbed).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals