Rauwolfia Serpentina

Pet Peeve

I did the 23andme DNA test and found out I have reduced MAO-A activity. I do not have the "warrior gene" but I do recognize the symptoms, anxiety, anger etc. I've always suspected I have too much adrenaline and noradrenaline (which is connected to anger as far as I understand).

After some searching I found this link: http://www.warriorgene.info/

and bought some Rauwolfia Serpentina which contains reserpine: http://westseedfarm.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=239

The dose should be 6 mg then since this is a 10x extract.

Ray Peat mentions Rauwolfia Serpentina in an article, though not by name:

"Reserpine is an ancient tranquilizer, derived from a plant used in India for centuries. It has a powerful tranquilizing action, has been used to treat hypertension, and was found to be an antidepressant (Davies and Shepherd, 1955). It lowers the concentration of serotonin in the brain and other tissues." http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/se ... sion.shtml

Could this be an addition to the supplement arsenal? Possible with some l-phenylalanine added?

You better be careful with that. Look up reserpine (serpasil). I thought about using it for some of my symptoms, but when I read about the fact that it can induce parkinsonism, that was a quick 180. Also, messes with blood pressure big time. It's main use would be that of lowering norepinephrine and epinephrine very effectively but it comes with the aforementioned side-effects.

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

You better be careful with that. Look up reserpine (serpasil). I thought about using it for some of my symptoms, but when I read about the fact that it can induce parkinsonism, that was a quick 180. Also, messes with blood pressure big time. It's main use would be that of lowering norepinephrine and epinephrine very effectively but it comes with the aforementioned side-effects.

Yeah, I might have been too fast with this. I don't doubt that certain people could benefit from rauwolfia but I think they should do some real testing first. It destroys particular cells in the brain connected to the neurotransmitters and so you have to wait at least a week for new cells to form before you're back to normal.

Yes, VMAT. It would lower norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine. From a Peat perspective, the first two sound great, the latter, not so much.

Probably safer to mess with clonidine if you wanna try lowering norepinephrine and epinephrine.

Rauwolfia

David_Wolfe_240x240_final.jpg

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

Thanks, I have used cypro.

Have you tried progesterone? I have ordered but not received yet. My doctor refused to measure estrogen but I have really high testosterone, should be interesting. And of course it increases MAO-A.

Last edited:

Sucrates

Yeah, I only use a little, don't know what my test is so I'm not going to use much.

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

Yeah, I only use a little, don't know what my test is so I'm not going to use much.

Progestene is working amazingly for me so far, it seems that it helps allergies too through breakdown of histamine... I can't find it again but I read an article by a doctor who said that inflammation and stress increased expression of MAO-A, i.e. that a more healthy lifestyle would make the symptoms of this warrion-gene promblem worse.

Regina

I did the 23andme DNA test and found out I have reduced MAO-A activity. I do not have the "warrior gene" but I do recognize the symptoms, anxiety, anger etc. I've always suspected I have too much adrenaline and noradrenaline (which is connected to anger as far as I understand).

After some searching I found this link: Warrior Gene MAO-A R297R Info and Treatment

and bought some Rauwolfia Serpentina which contains reserpine: http://westseedfarm.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=239

The dose should be 6 mg then since this is a 10x extract.

Ray Peat mentions Rauwolfia Serpentina in an article, though not by name:

"Reserpine is an ancient tranquilizer, derived from a plant used in India for centuries. It has a powerful tranquilizing action, has been used to treat hypertension, and was found to be an antidepressant (Davies and Shepherd, 1955). It lowers the concentration of serotonin in the brain and other tissues." http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/se ... sion.shtml

Could this be an addition to the supplement arsenal? Possible with some l-phenylalanine added?
I did the 23andMe and do have this warrior gene. Yikes. And my recent blood catecholamines indicated very high norepinephrine. It does not manifest as anger or irritability issues with me. More anxiety and ADD symptoms and insomnia. But I have low blood pressure. It's hard to know what to do to safely get me to sleep.

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

Actually i think i have these problems under control using progesterone. I control Anger and anxiety by avoiding certain food additives.

Mr. Sick

If you want to figure out if you have problems with progesterone, what blood test do you take as a male? Testing for Progesterone or Pregnenolone? Should testo be measured to get the bigger picture?
I am a little confused since males seems to take pregnenolone instead of progesterone.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
23andme is very very hit and miss. Mostly miss. I used R. serpentina for fat loss once. I could feel the blood pulsating through my nostrils. Not good.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals