Rate Worst To Least Bad (includes Legumes, Rice, Vegetables, Grains)

Pufa

We can all avoid pufas without too much sacrifice..
But legumes, veggies, rice and grains/bread are staples in almost all cuisines worldwide.

How would you rank these from worst to least harmful?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It probably depends on the person but for me it’s grains, legumes, and basically a tie between certain vegetables and rice.

M

member 2106

I’m tempted to say wheat, but only because I have such a severe reaction to it. Millions of others seem to cope with it just fine.

Waremu

Probably wheat, most beans, and brown rice being the worst in that order, in my view, based on anti-nutrient content, digestibility, and/or PUFA content, relative to its nutrition content. I would rate well cooked purple and white sweet potatoes best, then white rice (consumed with plenty of well cooked greens to add lost nutrition from the rice back in), maybe properly prepared corn products, then last: legumes like well cooked sprouted lentils, and adzuki beans. (Adzuki beans may just be one of the lowest PUFA easier to digest legumes.) They would have to be soaked and cooked very well, usually in a pressure cooker, for example. I’ve experimented with all of the ‘safer’ stretches listed, but usually find white rice and sweet potatoes are the only ones that I can consistently consume without feeling like it takes more than it gives in terms of health and energy and how I feel and look. There may be other starched but can’t think of any other ones at the moment.

ExCarniv

White rice and white bread (made with non iron fortified flour) are the least harmful, easy to digest.

Legumes, whole grains, green raw vegetables are the worst. Hard to digest, antinutrients etc.

We can all avoid pufas without too much sacrifice..
But legumes, veggies, rice and grains/bread are staples in almost all cuisines worldwide.

How would you rank these from worst to least harmful?
In my experience( from worst to least bad):
-wheat( with whole wheat being especially harmful)
-legumes( black beans are the worst kind for me to digest)
-vegetables( not too hard to digest, but the constipation and bloating that derive from them is seriously bad)
-rice: white rice is easy to digest, but causes constipation and, consequently, colon pain. Brown rice is full of phytates and hard fiber, and I find it hard to digest. Not to mention the huge amount of arsenic in it.

paulwalkerrip

Probably wheat, most beans, and brown rice being the worst in that order, in my view, based on anti-nutrient content, digestibility, and/or PUFA content, relative to its nutrition content. I would rate well cooked purple and white sweet potatoes best, then white rice (consumed with plenty of well cooked greens to add lost nutrition from the rice back in), maybe properly prepared corn products, then last: legumes like well cooked sprouted lentils, and adzuki beans. (Adzuki beans may just be one of the lowest PUFA easier to digest legumes.) They would have to be soaked and cooked very well, usually in a pressure cooker, for example. I’ve experimented with all of the ‘safer’ stretches listed, but usually find white rice and sweet potatoes are the only ones that I can consistently consume without feeling like it takes more than it gives in terms of health and energy and how I feel and look. There may be other starched but can’t think of any other ones at the moment.

Good call on adding vegetables back in for white rice.

paulwalkerrip

I love the Lundberg white sushi rice but it's such a toss-up for me. Over the summer I used to eat it with beef/mushroom/onion/pepper/collagen/teriyaki sauce stir fries and felt great but lately it's been unpalatable for me.

It's weird - like I can tell one bite in that it's not what my body needs in the given moment.

OP
P

Pufa

White rice and white bread (made with non iron fortified flour) are the least harmful, easy to digest.

Legumes, whole grains, green raw vegetables are the worst. Hard to digest, antinutrients etc.

That's been my experience too. homemade white bread especially Mediterranean are the easiest to digest.
Also I get the carne asada and white rice at chipotle, easy to digest.
But when I used to get it with beans always resulted in a bloated feeling.

In my experience( from worst to least bad):
-wheat( with whole wheat being especially harmful)
-legumes( black beans are the worst kind for me to digest)
-vegetables( not too hard to digest, but the constipation and bloating that derive from them is seriously bad)
-rice: white rice is easy to digest, but causes constipation and, consequently, colon pain. Brown rice is full of phytates and hard fiber, and I find it hard to digest. Not to mention the huge amount of arsenic in it.

+1
..and for grain,legumes and unpolished rice, antinutrients,from which phytic acid is a highly dangerous contender,even small amounts,as in a side-dish,can chelate trace minerals like zinc,copper and macro-metals as magnesium quite powerfully.Recognition of phytic acid
is possible by looking up the general amount of plant-phosphorous.

Also protease-inhibitors like in soy,which can lead to serious liver-disorder.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pufa

+1
..and for grain,legumes and unpolished rice, antinutrients,from which phytic acid is a highly dangerous contender,even small amounts,as in a side-dish,can chelate trace minerals like zinc,copper and macro-metals as magnesium quite powerfully.Recognition of phytic acid
is possible by looking up the general amount of plant-phosphorous.

Also protease-inhibitors like in soy,which can lead to serious liver-disorder.

Does white rice have anti nutrients to?

Peater

Wheat and PUFAs are what I explicitly avoid - wheat screws me up with allergies and PUFAs are just poison.
Potatoes, legumes, beans, rice aren't great but I will eat them

Wheat and PUFAs are what I explicitly avoid - wheat screws me up with allergies and PUFAs are just poison.
Potatoes, legumes, beans, rice aren't great but I will eat them

..I have to stress though,that Peat is seemingly the only one in the World
who has the claim that PUFA are not physiologic at any level,e.g. a true Poison.
I read a lot about Fatty acids and didnt understood much at all,but there is wide
consensus that PUFA are essential and needed in minute amounts,backed by sensible thought
and Argumentation,and Experiments to back it up.
You also cant abate O6-Lineage intake completely,so you do have to care about
O3-Lineage because the Ratios do exist,and animal products are O3 diminished
because of contemporary feeding practices and concomitant technological challenges.

Peater

..I have to stress though,that Peat is seemingly the only one in the World
who has the claim that PUFA are not physiologic at any level,e.g. a true Poison.
I read a lot about Fatty acids and didnt understood much at all,but there is wide
consensus that PUFA are essential and needed in minute amounts,backed by sensible thought
and Argumentation,and Experiments to back it up.
You also cant abate O6-Lineage intake completely,so you do have to care about
O3-Lineage because the Ratios do exist,and animal products are O3 diminished
because of contemporary feeding practices and concomitant technological challenges.

Sorry I was just being lazy in my writing - I mean I avoid all seed oils, but naturally occurring PUFAs I just limit

milk_lover

Beans, whole wheat, uncooked vegetables, sweet potatoes, iron-free white wheat in high end Italian restaurants, rice, cooked vegetables in soups.

ExCarniv

Iron free white wheat is so easy on my gut, today I made some pancakes with organic non fortified white flour, instant energy and well-being, no bloating, no gas, so satisfying.

Occasionally white wheat is ok if your gut is healed.

Iron free white wheat is so easy on my gut, today I made some pancakes with organic non fortified white flour, instant energy and well-being, no bloating, no gas, so satisfying.

Occasionally white wheat is ok if your gut is healed.

..until it is deranged again,Bro.

SonOfEurope

In my personal experience the worst are beans (though In small amounts, well cooked I don't mind them once or twice a month) - and especially the Iron-Enriched pasta and bread...

Damn it's unbelievable they did that because of some anemic vegetarian "hippies" of the 60's , they added the iron for ALL OF US and the results have been disastrous... But our health is in good hands... Right?

I believe in Europe (At least Spain and France and Italy) they do not do this and as excess iron contributes to obesity you can appreciate the lower BMI in Western Europe vs This side of the Atlantic.

UK I don't know... Probably followed in the steps of Papah USA.