Rate My Diet Plan - Modified Peating For Weight Loss

A.D.

I've been juggling between the practices of Dr. Ray Peat, The Vertical Diet (Derived from Pete's Ways), and the Thermo Diet by Christopher Walker (Also derived from Pete's Ways)

Context:
40 Year Old Male
Height: 5'7
170 lbs - Goal Weight 150 lbs
Moderate weight lifting exercise.

Here is a normal day being in a caloric deficit:

Meal 1: Breakfast
3 oz of Pure Cranberry Juice (For Iodine)
Cup and a half of Organic Corn Flakes
Cup of 1% Milk
Cup of Coffee

Meal 2: Omelette
2 eggs and a quarter cup of egg whites
1 oz of low-fat mozerella
Salsa Verde
On top of 1 slice of Sourdough Toast

Pint of OJ throughout the day

Another Cup of Coffee with 1% Milk

Meal 3: Thermo Bowl
5 oz of grass fed lean steak chunks (Yes I eat steak everyday)
2 tblspoons of guacamole (I know this is controversial but this my only source of Vitamin E without supplementing. I'm still on the fence about supplementing Vitamin E since Harvard says it can KILL YOU)

Meal 4: Before Bed
3.6 oz of Haagen Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream
2 pieces of Dark Chocolate

Total Macros Average: 89g of Protein, 48 grams of Fat, 153 grams of Carbs - Around 1400 Calories

Supplements: OLLY Men's Gummie Multivitamin & 2500IU of Vitamin D3

What would you suggest I adjust given the goal of losing 20 lbs?

Thank you for your time. :):

Last edited:

gaze

1400 is way too low for weight loss in my opinion. Can cause a lot of deficiencies long term, along with a yoyo dieting type of situation. ID stay over 2000 and try to walk a lot daily, with some lifting. caloric restriction = catabolic , opposite of the anabolic effects your aiming for(chris walker line of thinkin)

tara

Total Macros Average: 89g of Protein, 48 grams of Fat, 153 grams of Carbs - Around 1400 Calories

Supplements: OLLY Men's Gummie Multivitamin & 2500IU of Vitamin D3

What would you suggest I adjust given the goal of losing 20 lbs?
With no expertise, I'd suggest not going too many days in a row on half rations.
Depending on your history, maybe not at all.
There's a real risk of it being counterproductive.

aquaman

Not enough protein, too many liquid calories

Try to get 1800-1900 calories at first to get your base rate, have 120g protein (need more in morning especially, your first 2 meals are too low)

Solid food in morning helps to increase temp. Liquids will probably lead to poor blood sugar regulation

1400 is very low on calories

Walk 10,000 steps a day (track via the Health app of your phone) , it’s fantastic for helping to lose weight with minimal stress and (as Ray said in a recent interview), stimulates the bowels.

Also: chocolate and ice cream doesn’t count as a “meal”! Fine to have it, but have a protein with it

Dobbler

I dont' see a problem with liquid dominant diet if it makes you feel satistied and good. Up the calories to atleast 2k. I would include atleast 20g of gelatin daily, but 50g is not overdo if you can find a cheap source. I would double the carb intake. Monitor your PUFA intake, if you come from high PUFA diet, somewhere between 4-8g is a good threshold.

ExCarniv

More carbs 250g, more protein 120g, fat 50g is ok. So around 1950kcals

Drop the flakes and bread. Empty calories, add potatoes more filling and nutrient dense.

milkboi

It's shocking to me that there are probably millions of people out there that think restricting calories to an absurdly low amount like 1400 calories is a reasonable way to loose weight. This ain't peating buddy.

OP
A.D.

A.D.

First let me say I am so thankful for this forum! I have learned so much and being that this is my first post, I really appreciate all of the responses. :praying: Also my apologies if I seem a little orthorexic, I'm just a very meticulous person in general and I enjoy the quest to perfect my diet.

caloric restriction = catabolic , opposite of the anabolic effects your aiming for(chris walker line of thinkin)

The only reason I've been so low in calories is because it's been actually working for the past 2 weeks shedding off about 7 pounds but yes, I know it may not be the best long term route health wise so I will definitely up my calories.

Also: chocolate and ice cream doesn’t count as a “meal”! Fine to have it, but have a protein with it

I've been doing the ice cream about every other night for the calcium and stress relieving effects. I've been having the best night sleep doing so! But, yes I should consider that more of a snack than a meal. lol

I dont' see a problem with liquid dominant diet if it makes you feel satistied and good. Up the calories to atleast 2k. I would include atleast 20g of gelatin daily, but 50g is not overdo if you can find a cheap source. I would double the carb intake. Monitor your PUFA intake, if you come from high PUFA diet, somewhere between 4-8g is a good threshold.

Yes, the OJ is amazing and I'm only having a pint a day. The only PUFA I'm really getting is from 2 tablespoons of guacamole. Sometimes I'll just have a quarter of avocado. I'm going to buy some gelatin today. Double the carb intake? Should I add more rice and fructose?

More carbs 250g, more protein 120g, fat 50g is ok. So around 1950kcals

Drop the flakes and bread. Empty calories, add potatoes more filling and nutrient dense.

I think I'll definitely up my protein first but if I'm adding more carbs, wouldn't it make sense to keep the corn flakes in? Or should I up the OJ? I feel like potatoes will make me bloat and I've read on this forum about the increase of endotoxin/serotonin from too many potatoes? Or should I not worry about that?

It's shocking to me that there are probably millions of people out there that think restricting calories to an absurdly low amount like 1400 calories is a reasonable way to loose weight. This ain't peating buddy.

I'm afraid I'm still stuck on the calories in / calories out idea. I'm thinking of raising my carbs slowly as to not shock the system and then I will be officially "Peating" I'm going to raise my calories but I must admit being low calorie, I have been waking up feeling somewhat happy and with a nice empty stomach feeling. Though, that could just be excess serotonin floating in my blood stream. One of the people who inspired me to go this low was a YouTuber named Zac Perna (Yes I know he only did it short term and was metabolically adapted at the time but we are the same height so I felt it was safe)

ExCarniv

Continuos low calorie is detrimental, you could have higher calories days then lower Cal days and get the same result without damaging your health.

Chris Walker and Stan both are in favor of potatoes, only extremely sick people and orthorexics avoid them, just cooked them well.

aquaman

First let me say I am so thankful for this forum! I have learned so much and being that this is my first post, I really appreciate all of the responses. :praying: Also my apologies if I seem a little orthorexic, I'm just a very meticulous person in general and I enjoy the quest to perfect my diet.

The only reason I've been so low in calories is because it's been actually working for the past 2 weeks shedding off about 7 pounds but yes, I know it may not be the best long term route health wise so I will definitely up my calories.

I've been doing the ice cream about every other night for the calcium and stress relieving effects. I've been having the best night sleep doing so! But, yes I should consider that more of a snack than a meal. lol

Yes, the OJ is amazing and I'm only having a pint a day. The only PUFA I'm really getting is from 2 tablespoons of guacamole. Sometimes I'll just have a quarter of avocado. I'm going to buy some gelatin today. Double the carb intake? Should I add more rice and fructose?

I think I'll definitely up my protein first but if I'm adding more carbs, wouldn't it make sense to keep the corn flakes in? Or should I up the OJ? I feel like potatoes will make me bloat and I've read on this forum about the increase of endotoxin/serotonin from too many potatoes? Or should I not worry about that?

I'm afraid I'm still stuck on the calories in / calories out idea. I'm thinking of raising my carbs slowly as to not shock the system and then I will be officially "Peating" I'm going to raise my calories but I must admit being low calorie, I have been waking up feeling somewhat happy and with a nice empty stomach feeling. Though, that could just be excess serotonin floating in my blood stream. One of the people who inspired me to go this low was a YouTuber named Zac Perna (Yes I know he only did it short term and was metabolically adapted at the time but we are the same height so I felt it was safe)

I find that potatoes and/or white sweet potatoes (boiled or roasted) are delicious, satiating, good for bowel movements etc. Eaten with whole fruit like papaya or frozen organic cherries - think the high potassium and fibre really helps (see @olive posts on potassium importance).

I would recommend whole fruits over juices, especially at the start when you probably can’t control blood glucose that well due to liver issues. The whole fruit takes time to digest, slowly adding glucose/fructose to your system. Juice you get a quick spike that leads to more insulin and greater crash.

Inaut

Pineapple/blueberries and potatoes are also a good combo. Recently discovered this also

tara

Double the carb intake? Should I add more rice and fructose?
I'd try roots and fruits too. Not too much highly refined sugar etc - the minerals, protein, etc that come with real food can be important.

Marcine

Vitamin D without K2 is useless. Harvard study used one crapoy form of E, right? You want to be thin or healthy? Follow one diet, Peat or don't Peat imo. Do one, if it doesn't work, move on but combining just doesn't seem to fit the Pat model for metabolic health. Also, you might check Alex Fergus. He says lift heavy then rest to lose wight.

OP
A.D.

A.D.

Vitamin D without K2 is useless.
I did not know that! Thank you for the response. I'm doing well with the weight loss now by adding more protein as suggested. This forum is loaded with information that I have learned so much from. I will check out Alex Fergus.

accelerator

I did not know that! Thank you for the response. I'm doing well with the weight loss now by adding more protein as suggested. This forum is loaded with information that I have learned so much from. I will check out Alex Fergus.

How's it going now, and did you add in the potatoes?

OP
A.D.

A.D.

How's it going now, and did you add in the potatoes?

Sorry for the late reply! I'm back with a progress report!

I finally broke the plateau and started losing weight but I must warn you guys, it's not exactly the Peatarian protocol but it's close enough for me to get the job done! I know I will be getting some backlash for my methods but as a reminder, I am under quarantine and not doing much exercise.

Basically I created a diet plan that made caloric restriction somewhat enjoyable!

I WAS 170 when I started this thread and now I'm down to 164 and losing about a pound every 10 days. My goal is 150 before I start adding a little muscle to go back up to 155 or so. As a reminder, I'm 5'7.

Here's what I'm eating daily in my sedentary quarantine life.

I wake up at noon and drink water. (Because I'm a night owl and work from home)

3pm: Mocha Latte
A cup and half of non-fat milk
3 TBSP of Nesquik Chocolate (Yes, I'm aware of the soy-lecithin)
3 TBSP of concentrated coffee

6pm: Brunch
A scrambled egg
A quarter cup of egg whites
2 slices of sliced beef bacon all fried in a small amount of coconut oil
(Served in a bowl)
Covered in 1 TBSP of Maple Syrup (This was a game changer that makes this meal perfect)
4oz of OJ
2 TBSP of concentrated coffee

9pm: Beef Taco
1 Mission low-carb tortilla
1 oz of lean grass-fed ground beef
1 TBSP of Beef Bone Broth
1 oz of mozerella
1 small can of Real Sugar Pepsi
Shredded lettuce (for texture)
Sprinkles of Tapatio (for heat)

12pm Midnight: Chicken Quesadilla
1 Large Mission Tortilla (Yes, I'm aware of the PUFA)
2 oz of mozerella
1 oz of lean ground chicken
3 TBSP of Salsa Verde (for heat)
5 tortilla chips
Can of Lime La Croy Soda Water

Before Bed: 1 small piece of dark chocolate

Supplements: 3000IU of Vitamin D3 & 200IU of Vitamin E

Total Protein: 80
Total Fat: 43
Total Carbs: 145
Total Calcium: 1,063

Total Calories: 1,284

Meticulous much? Yes, I track everything on a spreadsheet the day before.

I know, I know the calories are super low but the cheese makes it work! I'm eating every 3 hours, I have good energy, and that quesadilla is the grand finale of the day and I sleep like a baby! My hormones are good and as long as I eat on time, my mood is perfect! However, if I do not eat on time, I get a little grumpy. lol

Once I hit my goal weight, I will increase carbs and protein at maintenance calories. I'm particularly looking forward to someday having whole milk.

I am not recommending this to anyone. I'm just sharing my experiment and it seems to be working great!