Rapamycin is Fantastic and Worth Trying

GTW

Rapamycin vs resveratrol in better assimilation form?
Serious collateral damage from Z-pack antibiotic.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just finished listening. Thank you so much @Tarmander for sharing your experience with us!

LadyRae

I look at my three kids.
Through observation (how i have succeeded with or messed each one up) i see what true health or youthful metabolism is. It does not depend on anything supplemental.

As an adult i think using therapeutic agents judicially is wise. But long term does not bring health. And dependencies are a step backwards.

Of course I wasn’t referring to food. Water. Or air.

Glad to be on the forum. Been following Dr Peat since 2015. I am grateful to be a part of this community and his prolific reach and legacy.
@Perry Staltic Important point from you and @Momma . I think it's important to move away from the obsession with biohacking; that's how I ended up in this forum...

GTW

Rapamycin is good because it suppresses mTOR, mammalian/mechanistic target of rapamycin. Sometimes confusing terminology.
A mnemonic: caveat mTOR, beware of Me. Me being methionine.

frannybananny

There really has not been much talk of Rapamycin on this forum. When it was brought up in the past, its mTOR inhibition was often talked about as a negative. Many assumed this would lead to muscle wasting and catabolism.

Well I am here to tell you, it is worth looking into. Alone it has given me a level of health I did not think possible when I first joined these forums almost 8 years ago.

I started experimenting with it around March and April of this year. At first, it made me tired, hungry, and gave me some mental boosts. I thought it might be giving me energy but I wasn’t sure. As time went on, I realized it was a massive game changer, but in a very subtle way.

The biggest thing it did for me is I stopped caring about my health. I don’t post much here anymore, not like I used to. I am out enjoying life and doing things. I have my health back, or at least, a good chunk of it, and I attribute a big part of that to Rapamycin.

Maybe things will change one day, and my CFS will come back with a vengeance. But as of now, I lift weights 3 times a week, walk 30k steps per day, sleep great (although sometimes it’s rocky), and don’t journal anymore about what I am taking or how I am sleeping.

I was lucky enough to ask Peat about Rapa earlier this year before he passed. I don’t think he really understood enough about to see how revolutionary it is. This is what he said:
View attachment 46031

I have taken laxatives and quickened transit time before. Rapa does so much more. Rapa is going to change the world, and change humanity. I am more sure about that then almost anything. I am not an expert on Rapamycin, or a doctor, I am just the messenger to tell you to look into it.

I did a podcast about it where I dive into the nitty gritty for side effects, dosages, and where to get it. If you have tried it, I would love to hear about your experience here. Maybe I am an outlier, but I don’t think so.

Link:

View: https://youtu.be/d8to6SotiqM

This is indeed exciting news and an exciting interview. It sure raises all kinds of hopes which are all but dashed at the end when all the possible side effects and hurtful outcomes are listed. That part alone made me hesitant to try rapamycin.

frannybananny

Rapamycin is good because it suppresses mTOR, mammalian/mechanistic target of rapamycin. Sometimes confusing terminology.
A mnemonic: caveat mTOR, beware of Me. Me being methionine.
Dr Peat recommends taking selenium if you take Vit D and one other supp (I forget) but when I buy selenium and find that almost all selenium supplements sold are Seleniumethionine, organic selenium. How do you get around that? HOw do you avoid methionine?

GTW

Beware was the verb.
It's about quantity. Methionine in less than a gram selenomethionine isn't significant.
"Dose, host, timing and combinations make a poison or a cure." Paracelsus

frannybananny

There really has not been much talk of Rapamycin on this forum. When it was brought up in the past, its mTOR inhibition was often talked about as a negative. Many assumed this would lead to muscle wasting and catabolism.

Well I am here to tell you, it is worth looking into. Alone it has given me a level of health I did not think possible when I first joined these forums almost 8 years ago.

I started experimenting with it around March and April of this year. At first, it made me tired, hungry, and gave me some mental boosts. I thought it might be giving me energy but I wasn’t sure. As time went on, I realized it was a massive game changer, but in a very subtle way.

The biggest thing it did for me is I stopped caring about my health. I don’t post much here anymore, not like I used to. I am out enjoying life and doing things. I have my health back, or at least, a good chunk of it, and I attribute a big part of that to Rapamycin.

Maybe things will change one day, and my CFS will come back with a vengeance. But as of now, I lift weights 3 times a week, walk 30k steps per day, sleep great (although sometimes it’s rocky), and don’t journal anymore about what I am taking or how I am sleeping.

I was lucky enough to ask Peat about Rapa earlier this year before he passed. I don’t think he really understood enough about to see how revolutionary it is. This is what he said:
View attachment 46031

I have taken laxatives and quickened transit time before. Rapa does so much more. Rapa is going to change the world, and change humanity. I am more sure about that then almost anything. I am not an expert on Rapamycin, or a doctor, I am just the messenger to tell you to look into it.

I did a podcast about it where I dive into the nitty gritty for side effects, dosages, and where to get it. If you have tried it, I would love to hear about your experience here. Maybe I am an outlier, but I don’t think so.

Link:

View: https://youtu.be/d8to6SotiqM

Bear with me please. I am very confused about mTOR.... is mTOR good or wise to suppress it? I have been following all of these threads but have been considering taking HMB to prevent muscle wasting and found this quote ...
"One of the most promising nutritional supplements for the preservation of muscle mass in old age is beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB), a bioactive metabolite formed from the decomposition of leucine, an essential branched-chain amino acid [20,21]. HMB plays a key nutritional role as it is considered the most important regulator of muscle protein anabolism, due to its ability to stimulate the mechanistic Target of Rapamycin (mTOR) signaling pathway, which increases protein synthesis, and attenuates the proteasome pathway, inducing muscle protein catabolism [22,23]. Daily HMB supplementation (typically 3 g/day) is demonstrated to have an anti-catabolic effect, enhance protein synthesis, attenuate proteolysis, increase muscle mass, and decrease muscle damage in older adults [20,24,25]. Furthermore, animal models have recently suggested that HMB could be effective in mitigating age-related cognitive deficits [26,27] and improve the aging neuromuscular system [28]. The optimal dose of HMB cannot be obtained from a standard diet given the low quantities of HMB available in foods and the low conversion rate of leucine to HMB (~5–10%) [29]. Of further concern, HMB conversion appears to be reduced with age [30]. Thus, HMB oral supplementation stands as a realistic alternative to palliate metabolic diseases, muscle wasting, and functional loss in older adults." This is from the article Health Benefits of β-Hydroxy-β-Methylbutyrate (HMB) Supplementation in Addition to Physical Exercise in Older Adults: A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis .

Then there's this
"

Abstract​

Leucine has been demonstrated to stimulate muscle protein synthesis via an mTOR-mediated mechanism, and we have shown that catabolic systems are also stimulated to fuel this process, resulting in increased mitochondrial biogenesis and fatty acid oxidation (fao). To address the mechanism of this effect, we first determined it's mTOR-dependence by assessing leucine stimulation of fao in the presence and absence of 20 nM rapamycin; although rapamycin inhibited fao in c2c12 myotubes, the degree of leucine stimulation was preserved (~50%, p<0.03). We next investigated the role of intact leucine (0–0.5 mM) vs. it's metabolites, α-ketoisocaproic acid (KIC)(0–0.5 mM) and HMB (0–50 μM). All three compounds induced comparable increases in fao (~60–70%, p<0.001). Both leucine and HMB increased myotube mitochondrial biogenesis (assessed fluorometrically via NAO binding) by ~50%, (p<0.005). Consistent with this, HMB and leucine both stimulated expression of mitochondrial regulatory (PGC-1α and NRF-1) and component (UCP3) genes (p<0.01). These data demonstrate that leucine stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis and fatty acid oxidaton independently of mTOR and that these effects appear to be mediated by it's metabolite, HMB."

Help! HMB or no HMB?

GTW

Omega 6 is not good or bad. Some is essential.
Selenium and iodine are not good or bad. Some is essential, too much is toxic.
Similarly mTOR. For longevity, to counter inflammation, to push back against cancer proliferation/growth, rapamycin and other agents suppressing mTOR seem to be helpful.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

@frannybananny It is definitely not good to suppress mTOR all the time, and doing so would lead to very bad things happening. But perhaps, spiking its suppression here and there, turns on anti aging effects. I has definitely done me good, and I have built muscle.

@Peater To add on to what was said in the podcast, if you just want to try it, alldaychemist is good, but if you are going to take it long term, going to India Mart online and contacting a pharmacy over there directly is going to be less expensive. However you have to wire them money, so it is a bit riskier.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

@GTW Resveratrol is a very dirty compound. It does so many things and affects microbiome strongly, it is hard to tell what it is doing. Personally I get very bad effects from taking it. Much different then rapa

Badger

@Nebula @Momma I answer those questions in the podcast.

@sunny I use ombre to test my microbiome every 1 .5 months or so. Then use Ken Lassesens' site to interpret it.

@Badger niiiccee man. 5 years is a good amount of time. Good to know you haven't had any major side effects or problems with it.
Been working with Dr Alan Green for guidance on rapamycin. He has hundreds of patients from around the US. I don't live in easy driving distance from his office, but I only needed to see him once, for first time, and rest of "office visits" are on phone or Zoom. Rapamycin Treatment of Aging and Age-Related Disease – The Medical Practice of Dr. Alan S. Green

Mangan interview of Dr. Green:

Rapamycin Anti-Aging Medicine: An Interview with Alan S. Green, M.D.​

Another interview with Dr Green on rapamycin:

Alan Green MD: Rapamycin for Longevity​

Also, be sure to see this and any other paper by Dr. Mikhail V. Blagosklonny, the leading researcher on rapamycin in the world. He has a Twitter feed too:
Disease or not, aging is easily treatable
Mikhail V. Blagosklonny

peatmoss

@Peater To add on to what was said in the podcast, if you just want to try it, alldaychemist is good, but if you are going to take it long term, going to India Mart online and contacting a pharmacy over there directly is going to be less expensive. However you have to wire them money, so it is a bit riskier.
Im not sure if im understanding what youre saying, but are you able to just give us the contact info of the pharmacy that you use and bypass India Mart?

Gadsie

I bought some a few months ago from india mart. Got seized by customs. D**kheads..
Im not sure if im understanding what youre saying, but are you able to just give us the contact info of the pharmacy that you use and bypass India Mart?

Ania

Been working with Dr Alan Green for guidance on rapamycin. He has hundreds of patients from around the US. I don't live in easy driving distance from his office, but I only needed to see him once, for first time, and rest of "office visits" are on phone or Zoom. Rapamycin Treatment of Aging and Age-Related Disease – The Medical Practice of Dr. Alan S. Green

Mangan interview of Dr. Green:

Rapamycin Anti-Aging Medicine: An Interview with Alan S. Green, M.D.​

Another interview with Dr Green on rapamycin:

Alan Green MD: Rapamycin for Longevity​

Also, be sure to see this and any other paper by Dr. Mikhail V. Blagosklonny, the leading researcher on rapamycin in the world. He has a Twitter feed too:
Disease or not, aging is easily treatable
Mikhail V. Blagosklonny
Badger,

could you please share your experience on rapamycyn?
have you seen some impact, how long have you been on it etc.

joaquin

Doesn't intermittent fasting lower mTor?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals