Rapamycin is Fantastic and Worth Trying

peatmoss

Anybody notice a change in libido? I started taking rapamycin the 7th of January and ever since I have no libido. I'm single so it's actually nice not thinking about that but it's definitely something I've noticed

Peat's coffee

Question for those who have taken rapamycin.
Do you typically take it with food or on an empty stomach?
From what I've read, either way is fine, but I was curious if anyone had noticed different effects depending on how it's consumed?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found many fascinating facts and anecdotal stories .... New Rapamycin Results in Healthy Humans for Longevity Purposes - New Study (Kaeberlein)

There is also a good video on the page if you scroll down.
View: https://youtu.be/3TzvSL8aliY

That site has really great information on rapamycin. I did learn that I probably shouldn’t be cutting the pills for my dog since apparently stomach acid supposedly destroys it. I’m going to move him to 1 whole pill once per week and see how it goes.

EvanHinkle

That site has really great information on rapamycin. I did learn that I probably shouldn’t be cutting the pills for my dog since apparently stomach acid supposedly destroys it. I’m going to move him to 1 whole pill once per week and see how it goes.
Doing the exact same thing for my dog now as well after looking at this information. I had been cutting the pills in half, (and seeing some great results). Unfortunately I did not take any before pictures, but my 12-14 year old, (rescued and they don’t really know her age) had been loosing teeth, shying away from food, (and the family) and having trouble sleeping at night. In addition to this she had a smell that told you the end was near if you’ve even been unlucky enough to know someone in such a condition, and blindness due to cataracts.

Friday was week three for her at .5mg and her cataract in her left eye is dissolving, (I can see the brown pigment of her iris again) she no longer has any smell unless you are in her face and she’s mouth breathing, she’s begging for food and crunching it, (I used to have to douse it in water or bone broth till it was mush) she’s interacting with the family and wagging her tail, it’s a literal miracle. Sleep has improved, but she did wake up once last night. I dose her on Friday and at .5 mg it seems like she rides a wave til about Tuesday, (today). We’ll see at 1mg, (she’s well within the guidelines for 1mg at 25lbs-I’m not simply doubling her dose, rather moving from twice weekly to once) if she can sleep all week, (dad could use some sleep too : )

Perry Staltic

Seems like it did a pretty good job cut in half

Regina

Doing the exact same thing for my dog now as well after looking at this information. I had been cutting the pills in half, (and seeing some great results). Unfortunately I did not take any before pictures, but my 12-14 year old, (rescued and they don’t really know her age) had been loosing teeth, shying away from food, (and the family) and having trouble sleeping at night. In addition to this she had a smell that told you the end was near if you’ve even been unlucky enough to know someone in such a condition, and blindness due to cataracts.

Friday was week three for her at .5mg and her cataract in her left eye is dissolving, (I can see the brown pigment of her iris again) she no longer has any smell unless you are in her face and she’s mouth breathing, she’s begging for food and crunching it, (I used to have to douse it in water or bone broth till it was mush) she’s interacting with the family and wagging her tail, it’s a literal miracle. Sleep has improved, but she did wake up once last night. I dose her on Friday and at .5 mg it seems like she rides a wave til about Tuesday, (today). We’ll see at 1mg, (she’s well within the guidelines for 1mg at 25lbs-I’m not simply doubling her dose, rather moving from twice weekly to once) if she can sleep all week, (dad could use some sleep too : )
This is amazing! I'm so glad to hear about the cataract dissolving. So cool.
🤞:salute

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I’m so happy to hear this great news for your dog!!! I hope you both get some sleep.
Seems like it did a pretty good job cut in half
I thought so too. I’ve also considered putting a cut pill inside and empty enteric coated capsule if 1 week between doses seems too long for him.

Perry Staltic

I thought so too. I’ve also considered putting a cut pill inside and empty enteric coated capsule if 1 week between doses seems too long for him.

I don't know whast you did, but your success with a half pill informs me to give a half pill to my cat on an empty stomach when stomach acid is minimal.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't know whast you did, but your success with a half pill informs me to give a half pill to my cat on an empty stomach when stomach acid is minimal.
I put the 1/2 pill in a slit cut into a small piece of string cheese or hotdog and he will gobble it down in one gulp. Fat is supposed to increase absorption by about 30% IIRC so perhaps that’s enough to overcome the pill being cut? Otherwise his stomach is typically empty when he gets his dose.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Perry Staltic
It looks like fat increases the absorption by about 35% if I’m reading this correctly.

Perry Staltic

I put the 1/2 pill in a slit cut into a small piece of string cheese or hotdog and he will gobble it down in one gulp. Fat is supposed to increase absorption by about 30% IIRC so perhaps that’s enough to overcome the pill being cut? Otherwise his stomach is typically empty when he gets his dose.

Thanks. I'll coat it in butter before giving to me and my cat. I get mine today

frannybananny

I’m so happy to hear this great news for your dog!!! I hope you both get some sleep.

That seems like a good idea @Blossom and @EvanHinkle ...might be just the thing to dose twice weekly for your little dogs. Brilliant! So nice Evan, that your dog's cataract is dissolving and that he wants to interact with family again. ♥

Blaine

Anybody notice a change in libido? I started taking rapamycin the 7th of January and ever since I have no libido. I'm single so it's actually nice not thinking about that but it's definitely something I've noticed
I've noticed a fairly pronounced change in my own libido, but it's more like I'm better able to compartmentalize my desire for women, rather than an outright reduction in libido itself. That is, I still experience physical desire when I'm around an attractive woman, but without a grasping quality that was there previously. I also don't spend as much time idly thinking about women. It feels like I'm conserving a lot of energy/attention that was being dissipated before.

I've considered the possibility that I'm trying to rationalize a negative consequence of rapamycin simply because I like the drug's other effects, so I'm going to keep an eye on this issue. That said, I recall a podcast with Georgie D in which he stated that you should ideally have a strong sexual response in the proper context, but not feel overly libidinous otherwise. This has rung true to me, and I think I'm closer to that state since starting rapa, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the changes in libido I've experienced are a result of a reduced state of stress.

Blaine

This is amazing! It seems like rapamycin has great potential to help our ailing pets.

EvanHinkle

This is amazing! It seems like rapamycin has great potential to help our ailing pets.
She’s still having trouble sleeping, but I’m beginning to suspect that her glycogen storage is now no longer sufficient because she’s becoming well, and her metabolism may be picking up? I’m going to try feeding her a bit more food and see how that plays out. I just have to be careful because her digestion has been delicate since we adopted her.

Blaine

She’s still having trouble sleeping, but I’m beginning to suspect that her glycogen storage is now no longer sufficient because she’s becoming well, and her metabolism may be picking up? I’m going to try feeding her a bit more food and see how that plays out. I just have to be careful because her digestion has been delicate since we adopted her.
Best of luck, hopefully a little more food helps. There could be an adjustment period where she's still getting use to the rapa.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals