Raising T3 And T4 Naturally

Jsaute21

Just what the question says. I have improved my health with upping sugar and overall carbs and depleting pufas to best of my ability but my t3 and t4 are in the low end of normal range. I am taking energin, oxidation and vitamin e. I have a ravenous appetite. 3500 calories a day. Am a 6'1" 197 lb muscular man. Any recommendations? I do not want to take thyroid hormone

Queequeg

That's good news so far! Maybe if you give us a brief overview of your typical diet that would help.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Sure. Below is my "typical" day of eating.

Wake up at 6:00.
7: Breakfast. 2 eggs cooked in butter with OJ & Salt.
8-8:30: 1-2 cups high quality coffee (either longevity brand or big shoulders) with cream, gelatin sugar...
9:30: Workout for 45 minutes.
11:30: Post Workout meal. Cottage Cheese with whey and gelatin mixed in. (Occasionally will take BCAA's to deplete serotonin).
2:00: 3 cheese sticks with 5-7 Dates.
4:30: Half a bar of good dark chocolate
7:00-7:30: Dinner or No HFCS soda (cane sugar) with lamb, chicken liver, chicken, beef, scallops (one of these choices not all) and gelatin mixed in. Usually some form of vegetable in here as well.
9:30: 2 Servings of Ice Cream or 1-2 high quality lemon cookies.

Orion

Just what the question says. I have improved my health with upping sugar and overall carbs and depleting pufas to best of my ability but my t3 and t4 are in the low end of normal range. I am taking energin, oxidation and vitamin e. I have a ravenous appetite. 3500 calories a day. Am a 6'1" 197 lb muscular man. Any recommendations? I do not want to take thyroid hormone

RP says that roughly ~80% T4 is converted to T3 in the liver. This requires an energized liver, cholesterol above 200 and RP says selenium is a factor.

Extra sugar is the answer, either white or fruit/honey/juice. It will raise cholesterol and provide steady glucose to the liver. Maybe try displacing some fat with sugar for a few weeks and see how you feel.

Shellfish and liver weekly for selenium.

PUFA FFA's in the blood are the main substance that blocks thyroid transport and does it very well.

Orion

Just the type of answer I'm looking for @Orion. Cheers

Just curious, do you have good temps and pulse? and are sleeping deep 7-8hrs through the night?

Reasons for T3? trying to suppress appetite?

Recent interview I listened to RP mentioned that sugar will reduce appetite as it drives leptin down.

FredSonoma

I think you're on the right path man and wouldn't worry too much. Do you crave starches more often than you eat them? I went my first 9 months of Peating not touching starch but feel better now having it almost every meal.

OP
J

Jsaute21

My pulse is low. Anywhere from 50-60 at rest. However, i am a highly trained lifelong athlete. Used to play pro lacrosse. I only mention that because i know very few very fit, lean people that have high pulse rates. There are exceptions im sure, and i am sure they feel phenomenal but it is very rare. My temperature ranges from 97.1 -97.9 throughout the day i would say. Not terrible, but could be improved. My TSH is in good shape, t3 and t4 are just a bit lower than i would like them. I found Peat about 2 months ago, so i am not being impatient. I really like Haidut's supplements energin and tocovit, havent noticed much from oxidal yet.

@FredSonoma i would say yes to your question. I am someone that does fine with starches. Through researching Peat, i have decreased them in my diet but have not eliminated them. Unless you are fat and irregular, i don't see why anyone would. Especially when you are very active, like myself. Show me a great athlete that doesn't eat starch, and i will be very surprised. I would agree that i am on the right path, as i was a bit depressed for close to 2 years and had no reason why. Beautiful girlfriend, good job, lot of friends, was in good shape etc, and i always kind of felt a cloud over myself. It got worse when i drank coffee. Now, it is barely there. I'll have a bad day once every 2 weeks, but i am fairly certain, that my mood was associated with a burnt out thyroid. Increasing carbs and specifically sugars have helped.

I am borderline OCD, so am trying to go a couple of months without taking any blood tests, but will test TSH, t3 and t4 in a couple of months. If T3 & T aren't higher, i may have to think about conservatively trying a quality thyroid product.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Any others remedies for raising t3 and t4 without thyroid hormone? And I f I were to go the route of thyroid, which would be best form for someone with pulse in low sixties, slightly low temp, TSH just above 1 and low end t3/t4 #'s?

My current day looks like:

630: wake up
7 am: 2 eggs cooked in butter with a smoothie with berries, goats milk, honey, coconut, gelatin and grass fed whey.
730-815: 1-2 cups of good Joe with gelatin sugar and cream.
9:30: 45 min strength workout.
11:30: big post workout meal. Chipotle bowl or balanced salty meal.
3:00: dates and cheese sticks
7:00: big salty dinner with a Sosa.
10:00: ice cream or cookies.

Please provide input that you feel will improve overall thyroid function.

DaveFoster

I interviewed Ray Peat once.

He told me that sometimes all you need to break the cycle of stress and to convert T4 properly (as I also had elevated T4) is a big milkshake.

For me, I needed more than that.

OP
J

Jsaute21

That's interesting. Had an off day today in the gym. Very frustrating. I understand contempt for those who are self absorbed on threads but I would really appreciate opinions on my situation.

As I have stated, I am not severely hypo but am definitely moderately so. My real question is, what is the best method at raising t3 and t4 #'s safely besides milkshakes, coconut oil etc. I have been eating very Peaty lately but am not where I want to be yet. How has a high quality product like tyromix or other similar ones affected those on here? Any people who have had to permanently stay on it? It would be very helpful if some ofthese questions were answered. @haidut @DaveFoster @sladerunner69 @raypeatclips and any others that come across it.

Simonsays

Could be simple as "Are you exercising too much or wrong sort?" See what Ray Peat says about aerobic? exercise and t3 levels. Many "highly trained athletes " are hypothyroid. Your pulse is too low.

Very difficult one to change if exercise is an addiction (dopamine high) .

Ray Peat:

I think periods of intense muscular exertion should be limited to 20 or 30 seconds, followed by rest periods. Otherwise, T3 falls and the stress signals rise. If mental activity has a sense of obligation, of being pushed, it can raise the same stress mediators (serotonin, TSH, prolactin, CRH, cortisol, etc.), but if the attitude is one of opening and exploring new possibilities, it activates restorative processes throughout the body.

Anaerobic exercise (getting out of breath) increases the release of, or activity of, a large variety of inflammatory mediators, beginning with lactic acid and interleukin-6 releases from the exercised muscle itself, and including factors released from various cells in the blood, and hormones including estrogen, prolactin, and sometimes TSH.”

Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Appreciate this reference. I am far from an endurance athlete. Occasionally i do a HIIT workout which involves a very intense 30-45 second bike sprint followed by 75 seconds-90 seconds rest. I have actually started to feel better since i have integrated these sessions. I have been training too hard lately and am going to taper back for at least a week.

I had hypo symptoms when i was working out 2-3 x a week total so i truly dont think my current exercise routine is a huge factor. My lifelong history of training too hard probably does though. I just want to do what i can from here to raise pulse, t3 and t4.

OP
J

Jsaute21

I wanted to follow up on this post with some blood results. Reverse T3 & TSH scores are good. Somewhat low T3 & T4 levels are frustrating and correlate with cold feet and low pulse at night. I have not had the most success with cynoplus and cynomel, but i think i am leaning towards taking a t4/t3 combo product.

upload_2017-11-10_10-41-58.png

Vileplume

I wanted to follow up on this post with some blood results. Reverse T3 & TSH scores are good. Somewhat low T3 & T4 levels are frustrating and correlate with cold feet and low pulse at night. I have not had the most success with cynoplus and cynomel, but i think i am leaning towards taking a t4/t3 combo product.

View attachment 7232

Did you end up doing any thyroid supplementation? My daytime temps are high, but my temp dips down to 50 or so at night and I cannot seem to raise it. Thinking about taking Cynoplus and wondering what you ended up doing! Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals