Raising Metabolism - Need Your Thoughts, Please

Milena

Hi all.
After a couple of years trying to stick to RP's guidelines, I still hadn't found anything that raised my metabolism noticeably. I tried milk, b3, OJ, aspirin, caffeine, ADEK, a few of Haidut's other supplements, adequate calories etc. I've put on more weight again this year, another 12 kg and it's getting me down. My metabolism is low (although I can tolerate coffee much better so progress is happening, I think) but I still can't really cope with a lot of liquids in the winter. My temperatures struggle still to get above the low 36C's - there was a brief 'dawn' during our hot summer of temps hitting 36.5C in the daytime but in general I'm more stable overnight, waking at around 36.1C.
I reviewed my prior slim times and remembered I had some success with kelp 15 years ago. Kelp used to make my neck, in between my shoulder blades and the very local area around my spine, warmer. I'm guessing this was due to it's iodine content. After a bit of research, I decided to do a little iodine supplementation on top of a clean diet.
I'm trying supplementing with topical iodine (claiming 'Nascent'), not Lugol's. After a couple of days with large doses (low 10's of mg, not 100's) and the stains disappearing from my skin in a couple of hours or even faster, I drop the dose and now am trying a 1mg dose which takes about 8 hours to clear - quicker overnight. Eating a few brazil nuts to keep up with selenium.
I am getting the same feeling as with kelp. My neck, shoulders and to a lesser extent my spinal area, start warming, especially when I eat some foods (which I hope is a good thing).
I have noticed my skin is drier on my arms and a bit flaky, along with freer breathing but slight 'asthma-like' feelings probably due to an increase in histamine (it feels that way).

I tried googling heat production in these areas but found nothing to indicate whether it was due to an increasing metabolism and am turning to you adventurers and scientist for your thoughts and opinions. Is it something to cultivate or symptomatic of another problem, or a window on another problem.
Many thanks in advance.

MigFon

Not the most popular approach around here as I gather, but perceive - think - act, has led me to a high saturated fat diet, low sugar (fructose containing stuff), some starch.

Eggs + cheese + fatty cuts of red meat + lots of cream/butter + some rice/potatoes + some spinach .

I get 37.2º Celcius 1 h after meals, even with cold food, no more problems tolerating water, no more IBS, heart rate 90 - 105 BPM, concentrated pee.

MigFon

@MigFon

Was your temperature very low before you started eating that way?

It was, in 2015, when I was eating what you are eating now, I had temperatures sometimes below 36º C, although very occasionally.

I slowly, over time, have been trying different stuff and I feel like I am much closer now to what actually works for me, and this seem to be the best approach so far.

somuch4food

Similar results for me. After I started adding butter to all my meals, I got warm after eating more often. Starch and saturated fat are my main sources of fuel.

As a side note, I ate a PUFA-laden fast food meal yesterday for lunch, I was freezing soon after.

OP
Milena

Milena

Interesting, both. I haven't bee overtly avoiding saturated fats but try to avoid too much per se. I like butter and CO.

Any thoughts on the warming areas (neck and back)?

MigFon

Interesting, both. I haven't bee overtly avoiding saturated fats but try to avoid too much per se. I like butter and CO.

Any thoughts on the warming areas (neck and back)?

Yes I have some thoughs:

1. Check this link about the location of BAT - Brown Adipose Tissue in the body: https://cardiologydoc.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/brown-adipose-lean-vs-fat.jpg

2. Consider this: Correlation between iodine intake and thyroid disorders: a cross-sectional study from the South of China. - PubMed - NCBI

"In conclusion, high iodine intake was likely to lead to the occurrence of thyroid diseases, such as Hashimoto thyroiditis, nodular goiter, and hyperthyroidism, through a long-term mechanism"

3. Then this: The role of thyroid hormone and brown adipose tissue in energy homoeostasis. - PubMed - NCBI

"BAT thermogenesis explains the essential part played by thyroid hormone in energy homoeostasis and adaptation to cold. Stimulation of BAT in adults, specifically through thyroid-hormone-mediated pathways, is a promising therapeutic target for obesity."

Perhaps, iodine is damaging your thyroid, which will then release more thyroid hormone into circulation and that will trigger BAT thermogenesis.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
Milena

Milena

Thanks for the links. I found on interview (not with RP) stating a plausible mechanism for the risk rather than "%" studies but can't find it again/

I was wondering if BAT activation is actually a good thing? I think RP mentions it in one of his articles. I'm seeing it as positive as my iodine supplementation is only around 400mcg now and the BAT activation continues. I have finally discovered that BAT does appear in adults along the paravertebral area (along the spine) so the warm there is a good indication of increase metabolism even if the supraclavicular BAT ceases. I know have a way of evaluating whether my body's metabolism is increasing (irrespective of temperature and its environmental variables)

I should say, I am also upping my bicarbonate intake with Sodium Bicarb. I have read load and loads on iodine in the last week - I see the pluses and minuses (lots of good evidence for risks if stocks of iodine are raise too quickly)

I'm not keen on Moderate protein, high fat, low carb or high fat with starch. The former worked for weight loss but I didn't feel good in the long run and the second gives me gas. I do do well (2 years) on mainly fruit (2 year trial and didn't put on any weight eating 2500 kCals a day) but it is short in protein, calcium and it is so damn hard and very expensive to get high quality (ripe and organic or even just ripe) fruit in a non-tropical country (when I win the lottery and move...)

Going to plow on with the bicarb and perhaps buy or try to make magnesium bicarb.

fradon

Hi all.
After a couple of years trying to stick to RP's guidelines, I still hadn't found anything that raised my metabolism noticeably. I tried milk, b3, OJ, aspirin, caffeine, ADEK, a few of Haidut's other supplements, adequate calories etc. I've put on more weight again this year, another 12 kg and it's getting me down. My metabolism is low (although I can tolerate coffee much better so progress is happening, I think) but I still can't really cope with a lot of liquids in the winter. My temperatures struggle still to get above the low 36C's - there was a brief 'dawn' during our hot summer of temps hitting 36.5C in the daytime but in general I'm more stable overnight, waking at around 36.1C.
I reviewed my prior slim times and remembered I had some success with kelp 15 years ago. Kelp used to make my neck, in between my shoulder blades and the very local area around my spine, warmer. I'm guessing this was due to it's iodine content. After a bit of research, I decided to do a little iodine supplementation on top of a clean diet.
I'm trying supplementing with topical iodine (claiming 'Nascent'), not Lugol's. After a couple of days with large doses (low 10's of mg, not 100's) and the stains disappearing from my skin in a couple of hours or even faster, I drop the dose and now am trying a 1mg dose which takes about 8 hours to clear - quicker overnight. Eating a few brazil nuts to keep up with selenium.
I am getting the same feeling as with kelp. My neck, shoulders and to a lesser extent my spinal area, start warming, especially when I eat some foods (which I hope is a good thing).
I have noticed my skin is drier on my arms and a bit flaky, along with freer breathing but slight 'asthma-like' feelings probably due to an increase in histamine (it feels that way).

I tried googling heat production in these areas but found nothing to indicate whether it was due to an increasing metabolism and am turning to you adventurers and scientist for your thoughts and opinions. Is it something to cultivate or symptomatic of another problem, or a window on another problem.
Many thanks in advance.

try the dopamine diet

it is high in tyrosine which makes thyroid, dopamine, and adreanline all of which you need for weight loss and increased metabolism.

remember this DOPAMINE is GO and PROLACTIN is STOP. you want to do everything possible to keep that prolactin down and that dopamine up. high prolactin shuts down adrealine, dopamine, thyroid, makes you gain weight, increaeses estrogen, lower libido etc. not good amigo.

you want to avoid satiation to some degree. if your regular breakfast is two eggs two bacon and two pancakes then cut it in half and ditched the pancakes. dopamine is your motivation so staying hungry is the key. . you want to avoid serotonin. pancakes would raise serotonin.

serotonin is bad for dopamine it also shuts it down. so avoid anything that will boost serotonin like big meals, lost of sugar spikes etc.

tyrosine rich foods are eggs, beef, dairy and it all comes down to portion control too. so 1 egg and 1 bacon and 1 slice of toast is better for you than 2 of each at the same time. you can have the second of each for lunch.

OP
Milena

Milena

@fradon Will look into what foods help that and what don't in my diet. Bacon, eggs and pancakes for breakfast?? :hilarious::rolleyes: some slurps of OJ and high protein milk as I slide out the door. I do have a small fried brekkie for lunch on Saturday.
I start work an hour later on a strong coffee with sugar and 50% milk and then a sandwich (cheese or corned beef sans spread) at 10am with some more OJ, milk and sometimes satsumas and bamboo shoots throughout the rest of the day as I'm not hungry. At 6pm, I'm pretty hungry and do more OJ & milk (to taste as I hate getting up to pea at night) along with a meal of whatever I fancy, one or the other of liver, potatoes, tiny doner kebab, rice and shellfish, frozen fruit... Also a couple of macadamia nuts and a brazil nut for selenium. Currently trying Taurine at around 2g morning and evening along with some small remains of Tyromix. ADEK from Estroban a given. Berocca for a fizzy drink in the afternoon. No adrenaline symptoms lately. Toasty at night as usual but still low temps during the day now the summer heat has gone.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals