Radically different effects from different forms of magnesium

Hayley

I take magnesium before bed, I find it to be relaxing and helps me fall asleep, but have had varied results depending on the type of magnesium used.

- calm brand magnesium, which is magnesium citrate. While that form calms me so much that I’m knocked out to sleep, I tend to wake up later in the night and have a hard time falling back asleep.

- After hearing about it being the best form from Peaters, I tried magnesium glycinate. When taking this before bed I get almost a histamine like reaction, feel very wired and unable to fall asleep for hours. Tried it a few times. This also happens to be when I try to take gelatin right before bed so I’m guessing something is happening with glycine, which I don’t understand.

-Trader Joe’s brand magnesium capsule which is magnesium oxide, citrate, and magnesium amino chelate. This is the best form so far, it calms me enough to help me sleep but I don’t have any side effects or wakefulness later at night.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any clue to the mechanism causing such varied results?

Mito

After hearing about it being the best form from Peaters, I tried magnesium glycinate. When taking this before bed I get almost a histamine like reaction, feel very wired and unable to fall asleep for hours. Tried it a few times. This also happens to be when I try to take gelatin right before bed so I’m guessing something is happening with glycine, which I don’t understand.

View: https://youtu.be/7ugZ5X7M2uE

Whichway?

After using magnesium in different forms and over a long period of time these are my experience.
Mg citrate - never liked this form. Don’t feel good after taking it, even with some of the so called purest brands like Thorne.
Mg glycinate - makes me sleepy but the glycine on its own definitely does something similar to me that the first poster experienced.
Mg taurate/aspartate/malate - I got to try these using the latest greatest Mg supplement which claims it is better because it contains 7 different forms of magnesium. This one made me feel blah ever time I took it. I tried for one week one week off several times, but same result. Threw it out.
Mg threonate - this one and Mg oxide I’ve had the best results with.
Mg oxide - this form seems to have conflicting opinions on how much is actually absorbed. Some feel very little. Others feel it is converted and absorbed. This form feels very clean to me like the threonate form and doesn’t give me any issues. Either because none of it is getting in LOL or it’s just better because the Mg is linked to oxygen and not some more complicated molecule.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

Could be impurities or some sort of sensitivity to whatever the magnesium is bound to. Maybe even fillers if it’s not a pure powder. Silica, magnesium stearate and other fillers can all be very allergenic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsYfWtjMRbU

I considered that, maybe should invest in a little magenesium experiment with several brands of several forms.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

After using magnesium in different forms and over a long period of time these are my experience.
Mg citrate - never liked this form. Don’t feel good after taking it, even with some of the so called purest brands like Thorne.
Mg glycinate - makes me sleepy but the glycine on its own definitely does something similar to me that the first poster experienced.
Mg taurate/aspartate/malate - I got to try these using the latest greatest Mg supplement which claims it is better because it contains 7 different forms of magnesium. This one made me feel blah ever time I took it. I tried for one week one week off several times, but same result. Threw it out.
Mg threonate - this one and Mg oxide I’ve had the best results with.
Mg oxide - this form seems to have conflicting opinions on how much is actually absorbed. Some feel very little. Others feel it is converted and absorbed. This form feels very clean to me like the threonate form and doesn’t give me any issues. Either because none of it is getting in LOL or it’s just better because the Mg is linked to oxygen and not some more complicated molecule.
Thanks, I’ll have the try the threonate. Oxide is good for me too apparently. Any thoughts on what the glycine is doing?

invictus

Thanks, I’ll have the try the threonate. Oxide is good for me too apparently. Any thoughts on what the glycine is doing?
I read some papers by Miriam Seelig PhD and she was using Mg oxide for her research. . Some people found it to work quite well and had good tolerability. Used to take it sublingually after poor response to psych meds(treatment resistant bipolar) but it still gave me loose stools. That was almost 20 years ago. Like you I've experimented with Mg glycinate and citrate with poor results. Tried Mg carbonate(powder) and no GI issues. Now, trying a new experiment. I'm under severe stress, dangerously elevated BP, both from bipolar/non-restorative sleep and caring for my wife who has dementia. Started, today, adding 1500 mg of Mg carbonate to my morning oatmeal, my thought being that mixing with food will slow down the absorption and reduce the possibility of diarrhea. If I tolerate this dose, I'll double it.

Dean

I recommend marine-based magnesium. Done wonders for me in terms of effectiveness and lack of side effects. Making (and drinking) the mag bicarbonate was initially critical first I think for rebuilding magnesium stores.

Nebula

I had a positive effect from Magnesium chloride yesterday. I took some cynomel before my first meal the drank about 200mg’s worth of magnesium from magnesium chloride in water after a meal. My extremities warmed up and I was able to take a deep nap, which I haven’t been able to in awhile. I did the same thing with dinner and I slept much deeper and warmer than normal. No loose stools this morning. I will try this again today. Hoping for the same effects.

golder

I recommend marine-based magnesium. Done wonders for me in terms of effectiveness and lack of side effects. Making (and drinking) the mag bicarbonate was initially critical first I think for rebuilding magnesium stores.
This is interesting, would you mind linking an example of the product you use? Thanks!

mostlylurking

Now, trying a new experiment. I'm under severe stress, dangerously elevated BP, both from bipolar/non-restorative sleep and caring for my wife who has dementia. Started, today, adding 1500 mg of Mg carbonate to my morning oatmeal, my thought being that mixing with food will slow down the absorption and reduce the possibility of diarrhea. If I tolerate this dose, I'll double it.
I wondered if you have looked into the thiamine/magnesium connection? I was unable to tolerate much magnesium until I increased my thiamine. After high dosing thiamine hcl for a while I needed more magnesium because it gets used up via use of thiamine. The thiamine allowed me to double my dose of magnesium (magnesium glycinate) without any digestive distress.
Here's a video about it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBxWivhBdpA

Dean

This is interesting, would you mind linking an example of the product you use? Thanks!
This is the one I've used for years and was the only one like it l found until recently:

I found another brand at Vitamin Shoppe by Nature's Life and have been using it as of late with the same positive results (as far as I can tell so far).