Rabbit meat okay per Ray Peat???

Frecs

I asked this in another post but thought it might get more focus here.

Does anyone know how rabbit meat (home raised/not fed soy) fits within a Peatish diet plan?

cliff

Yes it should be fine.

Mittir

Frecs said:

Does anyone know how rabbit meat (home raised/not fed soy) fits within a Peatish diet plan?

Based on Ray Peat's article Rabbit meat is not safe. Here is the quote

"In evaluating dietary fat, it is too often forgotten that the animals' diet (and other factors, including temperature) affect the degree of saturation of fats in its tissues, or its milk, or eggs. The fat of wild rabbits or summer-grazing horses, for example, can contain 40% linolenic acid, about the same as linseed oil. Hogs fed soybeans can have fat containing over 30% linoleic acid. [20] Considering that most of our food animals are fed large amounts of grains and soybeans, it isn't accurate to speak of their fats as "animal fats." And, considering the vegetable oil contained in our milk, eggs, and meat, it would seem logical to select other foods that are not rich in unsaturated oils." Ray Peat
http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/o ... text.shtml

cliff

Mittir said:

That quote just demonstrates its what the animal eats, the rabbits have high unsaturated fat content because of there diets during the summer which probably contain large amounts of seeds or foliage with high unsaturated fat content.

If you can manipulate the rabbits diet or know it is low in PUFA than the meat should be safe, even if it's higher in PUFA rabbit meat is still super lean. 100g gives you 33g of protein and .7g of PUFA, adding some coconut oil to that will make the sat/unsaturated ratio much more favorable.

Jenn

Fry the rabbit in coconut oil and call it good.
Cows have high levels of PUFAs in their system in summer too, it's important to winter kill. Locals that eat wild rabbit around here will NOT eat summer rabbit, say it carries a disease.

Thomas

Mittir said:
Frecs said:

"In evaluating dietary fat, it is too often forgotten that the animals' diet (and other factors, including temperature) affect the degree of saturation of fats in its tissues, or its milk, or eggs. The fat of wild rabbits or summer-grazing horses, for example, can contain 40% linolenic acid, about the same as linseed oil. Hogs fed soybeans can have fat containing over 30% linoleic acid. [20] Considering that most of our food animals are fed large amounts of grains and soybeans, it isn't accurate to speak of their fats as "animal fats." And, considering the vegetable oil contained in our milk, eggs, and meat, it would seem logical to select other foods that are not rich in unsaturated oils." Ray Peat
http://raypeat.com/articles/nutrition/o ... text.shtml

Hi guys,
excuse please the stupid questions of mine. As I am a Ray P. newbee I really get more and more confused about what to eat!
I live very high up in the north. As high as Alaska only on the europian side. (Sweden) Everything in the supermarket comes pack in plastics and is usually only mainstream, for fruits there are only apple, oranges and some pineapple and banans. Forget about more. Meat there is pig and cow and all of that is packed and made soft with differend marinates and chemicals. Its a real hussle to find something clean. I might find a supplier for hunted stuff like moose and reindeer. What is R. Peat saying about them?

Cheers
Thomas

Attachments

• (2005) MC-1 (P5P) novel therapeutic applications to reduce ischaemic injury.pdf
    157.7 KB · Views: 49

jyb

@Thomas: you don't necessarily need that much meat on a RP diet. Occasional beef liver from the butcher is good. On a daily basis, it's more about milk and cheese as a source of protein.

For fruit, orange seems to be the most important. I only ever do strained orange juice. I don't digest apple particularly well, and orange juice is very convenient.

Thomas

jyb said:
@Thomas: you don't necessarily need that much meat on a RP diet. Occasional beef liver from the butcher is good. On a daily basis, it's more about milk and cheese as a source of protein.

For fruit, orange seems to be the most important. I only ever do strained orange juice. I don't digest apple particularly well, and orange juice is very convenient.

I am afraid I have a hard time with milk proteins. Dispite the fact that my food intolerance test (ELISA) gives me green light to eat milk products and even the doctors biopsi of my intestines said I have no problems with milk products. I react!!!. Therefore my MD believes, I guess, all my suffering is in my head. ;-) It really sucks as I love cheese and milk, and all the other wonderful milk producs. I only get a terrible rectal ithcing, then I am getting dizzy, after that if I continue eating it I get diarre. I plan to rotate and try different brands and animals and see if I find somthing working for me. While trying out I need somthing to eat and therefore I eat away on the animals. :-(

cheers
thomas

Mittir

Thomas said:
Hi guys,
excuse please the stupid questions of mine. As I am a Ray P. newbee I really get more and more confused about what to eat!
I live very high up in the north. As high as Alaska only on the europian side. (Sweden) Everything in the supermarket comes pack in plastics and is usually only mainstream, for fruits there are only apple, oranges and some pineapple and banans. Forget about more. Meat there is pig and cow and all of that is packed and made soft with differend marinates and chemicals. Its a real hussle to find something clean. I might find a supplier for hunted stuff like moose and reindeer. What is R. Peat saying about them?

Cheers
Thomas

I think your main focus should be on food you can easily digest and avoiding PUFA. Moose and Reindeer both are ruminants, so they are ok in RP book. But RP suggest that you always balance intake of muscle meat with gelatinous cut. Dairy is ideal. But you can eat meat until your stomach is ready for dairy. Quality of meat depends on it's freshness. You can use bones from commercial beef to make bone broth and you can skim off the oil from the top to get rid of possible PUFA from grain feed.
You can also try gelatin powder as protein source. You have to dissolve the powder in hot water before you consume that. Check if those gelatin powder are preservative free. Always start with small doses of gelatin powder to see if it agrees with your digestive system.

Thomas

Mittir said:
Thomas said:
Hi guys,

Cheers
Thomas

I think your main focus should be on food you can easily digest and avoiding PUFA. Moose and Reindeer both are ruminants, so they are ok in RP book. But RP suggest that you always balance intake of muscle meat with gelatinous cut. Dairy is ideal. But you can eat meat until your stomach is ready for dairy. Quality of meat depends on it's freshness. You can use bones from commercial beef to make bone broth and you can skim off the oil from the top to get rid of possible PUFA from grain feed.
You can also try gelatin powder as protein source. You have to dissolve the powder in hot water before you consume that. Check if those gelatin powder are preservative free. Always start with small doses of gelatin powder to see if it agrees with your digestive system.

Thank you Mittir! What I noticed being on the RP diet is that I have no problems with the digestiv system. Its strange, eating the sugar I thought I would feed bacteria and would blow up. But I didnt. While eating veggies I fermented and had stomach and stool problems. Mainly diarre. My biggest problem are a feeling of poison right now. I dont know if it is my immunesystem as I feel itchings, in eyes and rectal and brainfog with nausea. I have no idea what that is in context. It too could be what people call die-off. But I am so tired with that sentence. Its used all over the net in the alternative diet circles. Did RP wrote something about die-off?

thanks
Thomas

dabdabdab

Fry the rabbit in coconut oil and call it good.
Cows have high levels of PUFAs in their system in summer too, it's important to winter kill. Locals that eat wild rabbit around here will NOT eat summer rabbit, say it carries a disease.
won't it taste horrible? coconut oil sweatness doesn't suit meat flavor