R Potatoes Are Causing Weight Gain In My **** & Hips?

Tourist

I'm thin by nature but after peating for 4 months I have intense cravings for fried potatoes(cooked in coconut oil) and lamb sausages and OJ. (I have been adding at least 2-3 tablespoons of collagen pwdr with the OJ.) I'll often eat this meal 2x a day (occasionally 3x a day)--I looove this combination. I've noticed my pants are fitting tighter in the behind and hips and can only link this to the potatoes--I think? I don't want to have the weight in this area and can't figure out why this area is targeted for the weight gain.

I can eat one medium sized potato each meal but I am trying to make myself cut down. The other night I swore I was passing a gallbladder stone from the feeling and intense pain and I lost my taste for any food for a day and a half. Next day I woke up craving the damn potatoes....

I am a pretty active person and my thyroid is actually in a pretty good place right now. I have energy and my sleep is improving. Don't want to buy new clothes and wonder if there's any other likely culprits?

Orion

If your sleep, temps and pulse are good, you need to track calories and estimate your daily energy needs for height, weight, age, activity, etc...

Chronometer.com can be helpful with this.

Note

If you don't mind to ask you what's your age, height and weight?

Last edited:

Ccasey

Very similar for me too. I've been Peating for about 4mths and have been craving potatoes cooked in coconut oil daily. My weight gain is in the same areas, it's frustrating! I'm a 41yr old female & I had to buy new jeans which fit, I'm hoping that my body will drop some weight, I was previously doing lots of HIIT 5-6 times a week with super low carb eating. My body was eventually exhausted and then I discovered Ray Peat eating etc. I'm feeling better but am not happy about the weight gain :(

I don't think so because the sugar from the potato doesn't convert into fat easily. Sugar gets stored as glycogen, not fat.

I'm thin by nature but after peating for 4 months I have intense cravings for fried potatoes(cooked in coconut oil) and lamb sausages and OJ. (I have been adding at least 2-3 tablespoons of collagen pwdr with the OJ.) I'll often eat this meal 2x a day (occasionally 3x a day)--I looove this combination. I've noticed my pants are fitting tighter in the behind and hips and can only link this to the potatoes--I think? I don't want to have the weight in this area and can't figure out why this area is targeted for the weight gain.

I can eat one medium sized potato each meal but I am trying to make myself cut down. The other night I swore I was passing a gallbladder stone from the feeling and intense pain and I lost my taste for any food for a day and a half. Next day I woke up craving the damn potatoes....

I am a pretty active person and my thyroid is actually in a pretty good place right now. I have energy and my sleep is improving. Don't want to buy new clothes and wonder if there's any other likely culprits?

How much dairy fat are you eating?

Fried even if in coconut oil is not optimal for everyday use as a main carbohydrate source. Boiled/steamed is the way that allows us to use the potato the best. Fried in coconut oil should just be an occasional snack. They cook and act in different ways. Fried is hard and creates toxins while boiled/steamed is soft and fluffy with no toxins. The starch is different when fried vs. boiled/steamed.

The other night I swore I was passing a gallbladder stone from the feeling and intense pain and I lost my taste for any food for a day and a half.

That is probably from the frying.

I was previously doing lots of HIIT 5-6 times a week with super low carb eating.

You will have to recover from that. HIIT is very bad due to the stress on the body and the breakdown of tissue. And low carb is also bad.

Last edited:

Note

Fried and baked potatoes with salt and some fat warmed me up nicely.

kayumochi

Try this: eating nothing but potatoes cooked without any kind of oil or seasoning for a week or even two. I am guessing you will lose weight. Most people do. I suspect it is the oil combined with the potato that is the culprit and not the potato ...

J

James IV

If you're gaining fat and all of your health markers are improving, you probably need to gain fat.

Last edited by a moderator:

TubZy

If you're gaining fat and all of your health markers are improving, you probably need to gain fat.

This..especially if you said you are thin already. Putting on fat in those areas isn't really a bad thing for a girl, it is probably healthy.

Ccasey

Try this: eating nothing but potatoes cooked without any kind of oil or seasoning for a week or even two. I am guessing you will lose weight. Most people do. I suspect it is the oil combined with the potato that is the culprit and not the potato ...

So, do you mean just eating potatoes cooked without oil...& not eating ANYTHING else at all?

TubZy

Many thinner girls I know complain about not being able to put weight on in those areas and it is probably due to the fact that most of them are borderline hypothyroid (and don't eat Peat friendly at all) but don't know it.

beachbum

Did you gain in the stomach too? Are you sure its fat not muscle, then again we know.haha. Because the same with me but I look prego too. If I had at least a smaller stomach I wouldnt care so much. lol but my man apparently loves it because I can't pass him without a grab or slap on the ****, then I turn around and shake it for him and turn and shake the twins, then it leads to sex most of the time...I like it but I am still self conscious of the belly area..

lampofred

Don't see the problem if you're female

OP
Tourist

Tourist

I'm 5' 10 weigh 147. My Weight went all right in the hip area and I have a favorite dress I can't wear as its to tight only in the hips ( no alterations due to style and seams) I got a little Pinochet in the waist but I've started focusing more on an work at the gym and notice a difference. I am also likely in early stages of menopause....

Part of my point is the intense cravings I was having --had to have it feeling. After I tried on that dress I went off potatoes immediately and was pretty happy and had protein cravings--beef, bacon.

Dairy fat? I drink cream in my morning 2 coffees and will have about 2 ounces of cheese cut up in the potatoes each setting. I don't get why the frying is the issue or the coconut oil?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals