R/nootropics / Keto Fanboys Getting Redpilled On The Advantages Of Carbohydrates

GreekDemiGod

Carbohydrates increase my reaction speed : Nootropics
This got me cracking.

Carbohydrates increase my reaction speed

I play music daily and while doing keto for a few months I noticed that I wasn't able to play as fast or precise anymore. Muscles really do like that glucose for fast reactions
I love keto but Chris Masterjohn has a piece about why the Lakers kept losing when they went low carb....and you're on the right track
Putting world class athletes in a high-intensity sport playing at the highest levels of competition on a low-carb diet is just plain retarded
Well you are forcing your body to use metabolic pathways meant as a backup in terms of evolution♂️ (based and raypeatpilled)
I ******* love sugar. We're carb burning machines. I feel amazing eating clean with sugar and white rice as my primary carb source. I also don't seem to crash until bedtime, my veins are very anabolic looking, and my wit is at it's peak. I also got very sick and hypothyroid when I cut out sugars completely, and it's only until after that I found my man Ray Peat. (One of us).

Anders86

I have had some discussion on there, just wait til they recognize serotonin.

orewashin

Raypeatpilled. LMAO.

I'm not a fan of how reddit groups often force you to have a certain amount of karma. To make matters worse, if your karma isn't high enough, you can only post 10 minutes. Bollocks.

AnonE

Take the Peatpill ;)

My experience as an amateur athlete and business exec: every "fad" diet fails eventually, even those that feel good for a few days/weeks initially. What works for me are balanced meals, high protein (~30%), and "high input high output". So lots of food, lots of exercise - but avoiding burnout (no HIIT morons!). I track calories but I don't limit them. But writing them down helps me understand whats going on at the scale, and helps avoid poor food choices late at night.

Small changes, listening to the body, and some discipline works best. I should know, I've tried everything else!

mrchibbs

Some good comments and studies on that discussion nonetheless, it was an entertaining read!

Jennifer

Carbohydrates increase my reaction speed : Nootropics
"I love keto but Chris Masterjohn has a piece about why the Lakers kept losing when they went low carb"
I wondered if their performance would suffer. My former doctor, Dr. Cate Shanahan, was the one responsible for the Lakers switching to low carb. It's too bad she favors low carb because despite being a regular MD, she's not a fan of Big Pharma but rather healing through nutrition and gives a lot of good dietary recommendations like consuming gelatinous broths, dairy, eggs and meat from pasture-raised animals. I first learned about grass-based farming through her.

GenericName86

I'm looking for ways to increase my reaction speed, guess I'll have to up my carbs. I've also read anything to do with increase dopamine can help too.

redsun

I'm looking for ways to increase my reaction speed, guess I'll have to up my carbs. I've also read anything to do with increase dopamine can help too.

Dopamine raising stuff can increase reaction time. Histidine can help improve reaction time as well:

The Effect of Histidine on Mental Fatigue and Cognitive Performance in Subjects With High Fatigue and Sleep Disruption Scores - PubMed

"After two weeks of histidine ingestion, the reaction time for the working memory task in the CogHealth test battery was significantly shorten compared to placebo ingestion."

wavelength123

it's incredible that legit MDs think low carb is best for athletes who undergo anaerobic efforts year round.

Fat's fine as a sedentary individual. Carbs/Sugar when switching gears. There's no need for deep understanding of the Krebs Cycle, glycolysis, lipolysis, it's fairly intuitive. But people can't think beyond "I dropped 10 pounds on my first week going keto BAGELS R BAD CARBS R BAD"

orewashin

i guess this is why I'm owning my friends in call of duty then
Then you see a video on youtube, "10 ways to get better at call of duty", and one of them will be "start peating to improve your reaction time!"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals