Quotes From Dr. Derrick Lonsdale

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I recently ran across Dr. Derrick Lonsdale and you can read a bit about him in this thread:
Solved? - IBS, SIBO, GERD, LPR, Colitis, Constipation, Celiac, Brain Fog

If you want to read his blog posts you can do so here:
Derrick Lonsdale, MD

I am going to use this thread to post random quotes by him. He figured out that energy breakdown was what lead to degenerative disease and the nutrient deficiencies are a big part of this. Maybe he did not get as big a picture painted as Ray Peat did. Nevertheless, I am quite impressed with his knowledge as he seems to be on the same path of a lot of us here. Restoration of energy.

These are just random quotes, there is no method to posting them other then grabbing them as I scan through his writings.

Unfortunately a highly repetitive story and absolutely typical of an acquired mitochondrial failure. There are many clues but it is fascinating for me to read that the start was a typical example of gastrointestinal beriberi, later to affect the nervous system. Thiamine deficiency means anything less than the full biological requirement. It can be so slight that the symptoms are ignored or misdiagnosed. However, a relatively mild injury or an infection demands an energy dependent adaptive response and can precipitate clinical thiamine deficiency. The ensuing symptomology is usually attributed solely to the injury or infection, whereas it might be a combination of the two. POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) is now known to be an energy deficiency disease and at least some cases have been published as thiamine deficient. Note the diet here that was so innocently ingested. He was quite right: he already had thiamine deficiency when he took Flagyl. It seems that medical ignorance of this common state might even be a threat to our culture and in one of my books, I compared it with chronic lead poisoning that was partly to blame for the collapse of the ancient Roman empire. This sounds like overdrive but lead leached out of the lead glazed jars in which the ruling classes kept their wine. The lead made the wine very sweet and encouraged their bachanalian feasts. Lead poisoning was well known to them but they didn’t know why! Today there is insufficient awareness of how common thiamine deficiency is and don’t forget the magnesium. I think that a high degree of emotional sensitivity can result from their combined deficit, possibly precipitating violence on top of a perceived injustice and possibly providing an explanation for the epidemic of shootings that have decorated American culture for too long. Are we all half asleep?
Source

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is a reply to Andrea and Sharon. First, please understand that taking non-caloric supplements is new and is relatively cheap. Do you think that the pharmaceutical industry wants it to succeed? All sorts of “dangers” associated with their use are published to try to beat them down. Their success is predicated on biochemistry and few physicians have maintained the knowledge that they obtained in med school. The recommended concentrations of these essential dietary components was virtually guess work by supposed experts. I agree with Andrea that natural food does not have the nutrient density that it used to have when farmers used manure to recycle them. Since vitamin enrichment is presumably based on the RDAs, the necessary concentrations are not reached, particularly for high metabolic rate brains (high IQ). A large segment of our society is vitamin/ mineral deprived. They may have no symptoms of their deficiency because a symptomatic threshold has not been reached, but some form of stress (injury, infection,surgery, a prolonged divorce etc) can precipitate a full blown deficiency where the illness is attributed solely to the stress without considering an associated energy dependent mechanism. Or they might have symptoms (e.g an allergy) attributed to other causes better accepted (but wrong nevertheless). A common mistake is to call the polysymptomatic illness of early deficiency “psychosomatic”, thus allowing things to get worse and perhaps become irreversible. Sharon mentions the gut biome that is a focus of attention. However, bacteria require vitamins also to do their important function and the explanation of their delinquency may well fall into the same diagnostic blindness that pervades our present medical system. This answer is built on decades of clinical experience and I am happy to state that articles are at last appearing in the medical literature in support. However, few of them originate in American institutions because of the massive overall view that vitamin deficiency disease has been conquered and anyone stating that this is simply not true is considered to be at least an incongruity.
Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dihydrofolate reductase is an enzyme that activates folate. Since it consumes energy it is dependent on thiamine pyrophosphate because that is cofactor to enzymes that produce energy. I think that you have it backwards!! It has nothing to do with thiamin refeeding. We have hypothesized, from clinical evidence, that thiamin deficiency results in energy deficiency and inactive folate and B12 concentrations are increased in the blood. When thiamin is given to the patient, B12 and folatre concentrations become normal. High folate and B12 concentrations in pregnancy have been reported to foretell the incidence of autism in the infant during infancy, thus supporting the evidence for thiamin deficiency as a cause of autism.
Source

Basically Dr. Lonsdale has seen in his practice that when folate and B12 were high and he gave the person B1 those levels would normalize.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have treated many people with CFS because I concluded years ago that it was caused by mitochondrial inefficiency. The leading supplement was always thiamin disulfide. It is interesting that the test stresses the cells with salt, but does not identify the underlying lack of energy as the primary cause. You always have to remember that failing to recognize the symptoms that are called “CFS” long enough probably leads to irreversible cellular damage. Then we diagnose another disease like Alzheimer or something, failing to recognize that we should not have labelled the unfortunate CFS patient as “psychosomatic” in the first place. I ask you—-whose fault is it that we have so much untreatable chronic disease?
Source

LuckyCat

Thanks Charlie - I just started on some Benfotiamine. Does Dr. L talk about dose, or length of time to take it? Can you take too much?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks Charlie - I just started on some Benfotiamine. Does Dr. L talk about dose, or length of time to take it? Can you take too much?
Well he suggests starting low and working your way up. If you start too high you can run into paradox re-feeding syndrome. He says that can last up till a month as the systems start firing back up. When I run across the dosages he suggests I will post them up. As for length of time he takes it every day as a maintenance dose.

You can definitely take too much and I think going by feel is probably the best approach for optimal dose.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes, I was a DAN doc and I presented my experiences with thiamine in autism, but it never seemed to activate interest at that time. It has seemed to me that the capacity of thiamine to get rid of heavy (SH reactive) metals is to do with its overall effect on oxygen utilization and the resulting energy synthesis. It is not a chelating agent like EDTA and the heavy metal is excreted through the bile ducts. That means that using thiamine for lead toxicity would require stool analysis to prove that lead was actually being removed. I published the clinical improvement in 8 of 10 autistic kids as a pilot study using TTFD in rectal suppositories. We then tried to put together an institutional double blind study. The FDA told me that I would require a separate IND to use TTFD in suppositories——–impossible in private practice.
Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2002 Aug;23(4):303-8.
Treatment of autism spectrum children with thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide: a pilot study.
Lonsdale D1, Shamberger RJ, Audhya T.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
In a Pilot Study, the clinical and biochemical effects of thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide (TTFD) on autistic spectrum children were investigated.
SUBJECTS AND METHODS:
Ten children were studied. Diagnosis was confirmed through the use of form E2, a computer assessed symptom score. For practical reasons, TTFD was administered twice daily for two months in the form of rectal suppositories, each containing 50 mg of TTFD. Symptomatic responses were determined through the use of the computer assessed Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist (ATEC) forms. The erythrocyte transketolase (TKA) and thiamine pyrophosphate effect (TPPE), were measured at outset and on completion of the study to document intracellular thiamine deficiency. Urines from patients were examined at outset, after 30 days and after 60 days of treatment and the concentrations of SH-reactive metals, total protein, sulfate, sulfite, thiosulfate and thiocyanate were determined. The concentrations of metals in hair were also determined.
RESULTS:
At the beginning of the study thiamine deficiency was observed in 3 out of the 10 patients. Out of 10 patients, 6 had initial urine samples containing arsenic in greater concentration than healthy controls. Traces of mercury were seen in urines from all of these autistic children. Following administration of TTFD an increase in cadmium was seen in 2 children and in lead in one child. Nickel was increased in the urine of one patient during treatment. Sulfur metabolites in urine did not differ from those measured in healthy children.
CONCLUSIONS:
Thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide appears to have a beneficial clinical effect on some autistic children, since 8 of the 10 children improved clinically. We obtained evidence of an association of this increasingly occurring disease with presence of urinary SH-reactive metals, arsenic in particular. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2002 Aug;23(4):303-8.
Treatment of autism spectrum children with thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide: a pilot study.

Please note that this was intended as a pilot study. The FDA would not allow a full scale inter-institutional study without a separate investigator license for using TTFD in suppositories, an impossible action for clinical practitioners.
Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The idea of being “socially unacceptable” was based on he powerful odor emanating from a person consuming a clove of garlic. The idea of milled rice in the East was based on the fact that it “looked better” when served. The peasants would take their rice crop to a rice mill where it was stripped of the husks around the grain. What they did not know was that the vitamins are in the husks, not in the grain. The rice polishings were given to pigs who were consequently better fed than the humans. You are also quite right about fiber because it slows the processing and absorption of simple carbohydrates in the intestine. For many years we have known of an extremely important reaction. When the respiration of live thiamine deficient cells was compared with the respiration of thiamine sufficient cells, there was no difference UNTIL GLUCOSE WAS ADDED TO THE PREPARATION. The thiamine sufficient cells immediately started to respire whereas the thiamine deficient cells did not. This experiment, performed in Cambridge University in 1936 and known as the Catatorulin Effect was the beginning of the research that led to the complex biochemistry of oxidative metabolism. It is the scientific answer to the ultimate danger of pursuing empty calories, particularly sugar.
Source

When he is talking about empty calorie sugar he is referring to like table sugar and white rice. Dr. Lonsdale thinks fruit is great and honey is OK.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Regarding IV Thiamine, Hydrocortisone, and vitamin C for the treatment of sepsis:

Dr. Lonsdale said:
Yes indeed: how is it that this protocol still remains buried? The answer is probably very simple. The pharmaceutical industry with its colossal moneymaking properties overshadows the reality of a relatively cheap and effective treatment. Through Pub Med I comb the medical literature for articles on nutrient therapy and there are hundreds. It is only the collective consciousness of the medical profession that can alter this status quo and assuredly it will come.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The only test worth doing is the baseline erythrocyte transketolase activity (TKA), followed by repeating it after adding thiamine pyrophosphate to the reaction (TPPE). The TKA is almost always in the normal range when the TPPE is grossly abnormal. Allithiamine and Lipothiamine are both TTFD, but Lipothiamine is enteric coated to ensure its passage through the stomach.TTFD is a disulfide, open ring form of thiamine. The disulfide is non enzymatically reduced at the cell membrane. The open ring passes through the lipid barrier (hence the term fat soluble) and the ring closes to create an Intact form of thiamine. The prosthetic group is absorbed onto albumin and a series of enzymes break it down to sulphones and sulfates. Benfotiamine is a member of the acyl group of derivatives and requires an enzyme to separate the prosthetic group. Animal studies have shown that it is insoluble in water, cannot be given I/V and does not cross the blood brain barrier. Sulbutiamine is TTFD. TTFD is the best derivative by far. Unfortunately a man called Bitsch, who worked for the makers, promoted Benfotiamine and “popularized” it.

The Mayo Clinic only does the first part of the test and I would not support it either. Shows the resolute rejection of thiamine deficiency as a medical problem. If anyone does the TKA entity on its own it will be normal even if TD is the cause. The symptoms of TD are so ubiquitous that it imitates other “more acceptable” modern diseases. Remember that the medical profession rejects beriberi as an ongoing disease in America. They say “It JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN” so the symptoms are attributed to other diseases, the favorite being “psychosomatic”.
Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am going to suggest a reason why TT FD has been helpful. Note the genetics in this case. Besides resulting in loss of choline synthesis, the chemistry governed by these genes is energy consuming. Let me use an analogy. A car requires an engine and this produces energy. The energy is passed through a transmission to the wheels. A breakdown in the transmission is just as lethal to the car on its journey as a fault in the engine. The body works on the same principle. Energy has to be produced and it has to be transmitted through energy requiring machinery to produce function. My suggestion therefore is that TT FD, B 2 and manganese increased the amount of energy that was available, thus aiding the transmission.One of the things that I have learned over the years is that mild thiamine deficiency makes specific parts of the brain very irritable and overreactive. The fall allergies mentioned in the post are probably also energy dependent and may require vitamin B12 periodic injections. Vitamin B12 is not well absorbed taken by mouth, although there are tablets with a combination of B12 and folate that may be worth trying. Since TT FD is non-toxic, perhaps an increase in this might also be helpful.
Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dr. Lonsdale - "You have to change your concept of health and disease. There is no magic about thiamine, it simply stimulates energy production. We exist in a hostile environment and are under continuous attack. From my personal clinical and library experience, I have come to the conclusion that either the attack wins or the natural defenses overcome the attack. Our medical approach is to “kill the enemy”, the virus, the bacteria, the cancer cell. There is no attempt to support the defenses and assuming that the genetics allows them to be active, all you can do is to assist the synthesis and utilization of energy. I would suggest that you try him on Lipothiamine, in my view the best thiamine derivative. It comes in 50 mg tablets and start on one a day and increase as you see progress, together with 2- 300 mg of magnesium."
Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dr. Lonsdale - "Stocking and glove anesthesia is usually diagnosed as hysteria, but is typical of beriberi, the vitamin B1 deficiency disease. Also, Greg says ” If I remain a drinker etc. “ Alcohol and thiamine deficiency are intimately related."
Source

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dr. Lonsdale - "Hi Steve, I read the account of your daughter’s problem with some interest.She reminded me of the many children that I have seen with a clinical diagnosis of cerebral palsy.You may or may not know that this is commonly regarded as the result of brain injury during the birth process. You say nothing about this in your account and you do not mention nutrition during pregnancy.In my view she undoubtedly had some kind of an episode of hypoxia and this could be genetic, traumatic or nutritional in character.There are at least two clues: the first is the failure to suck, a vital reflex and the second is the protracted neonatal vomiting. The strabismus suggests that there was a neurological effect too.Hypoxia results in mitochondrial damage and if I were her physician I would not hesitate to give her some kind of mitochondrial cocktail. There is no pharmaceutical in the world that will make any real difference and the only thing that is plausible is an approach to energy metabolism. Autism is now considered to be mitochondrial in nature and both thiamine and vitamin D have been implicated. However, making a strictly clinical diagnosis is of little help. The brain is an electrochemical machine and you can only influence it by the skilled use of nutrients. I would suggest that you obtain our book on thiamine disease that is available on Amazon books. It will help you to understand that the biochemical effect can produce a diversity of symptoms that make the idea of clinical diagnosis useless."
Source

Dave Clark

Since the Liopthiamine is a combination of allithiamine and lipoic acid, for those that have had years of dental mercury (even those who had them removed and detox), is the opinion still popular that lipoic acid should not be taken, unless used in the fashion of the Cutler protocol, or is the small amount in the Lipothiamine no need for concern? I know the regular allithiamine can be used, but the Lipothiamine is enteric coated to be released in the small intestine where stomach acid can't affect it, and that I believe is why he likes it better, not saying the regular allithiamine is useless.