Quitting Orthodontics

allblues

I've had orthodontic treatment from age 13-16, upper teeth row only.
Since taking the braces out 8 years ago i've had a steel wire behind my teeth which still sits there.

I'm seriously considering getting this thing taken out.
With better nutrition, and plenty of K2, my bones/dental health seem to have gotten much better,
and my lower jaw has expanded somewhat.

But that steel wire behind my upper row sits there and it feels like it's preventing any structural progression
and movement in that part of the face that otherwise could be occurring.

My face is in general kind of flat and lacking any sort of cheekbone action, which kinda sucks.
I'm guessing that is in part the fault of the braces, pulling my maxilla backwards, narrowing the face.

Orthodonist said that they recommend 10 years of wearing the wire, to make sure the teeth
don't revert to a bad situation. I'm guessing the whole thing of teeth moving backwards is
another story for the general hypothyroid public on a bad diet, than it might be for someone
taking K2, DHEA, pregnenolone, aspirin on a regular basis, with a decent diet.

Should i get it removed? Would you have? Have you already, maybe?
It would be bad if i took it out, only to have my face stay just as thin but now also with gnarly teeth.
Any comments, knowledge is much appreciated.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You might check to see if they can make you a removable retainer on the off chance your teeth start to shift. I was able to stop wearing my retainers but I did use them intermittently for the first year of Peating until my teeth seemed more solidly rooted in position.

OP
allblues

allblues

You might check to see if they can make you a removable retainer on the off chance your teeth start to shift. I was able to stop wearing my retainers but I did use them intermittently for the first year of Peating until my teeth seemed more solidly rooted in position.

Thanks for chiming in! Yeah they mentioned the possibility of wearing some sort of mouthpiece (correct term?) which could be used at night if needed.

That's great! Have you noticed any facial changes since taking them off, or mostly the teeth just staying put?
I was thinking that the teeth, if they start moving would be more of a slow and insidious process, but you're saying it was possible for you to notice
when you needed the extra support, and when you could stop using the retainer?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Every now and then I would just put it on and and I noticed it wasn't tight like it always was before. Eventually I noticed my teeth just stopped shifting around altogether so I just stopped wearing it. The changes were most noticeable when I added vitamin k (life extension 1-2 capsules per day) but I think everything had a synergistic effect. My face is wider but I had a very narrow palate that was artificially widened by orthodontics so I think it looks natural and normal on me. I believe Thorne or Haidut's K should work too. I've switched to haidut's k and nothing has changed with my teeth or facial structure. This is probably how my face should have looked anyway had I had better health in my childhood. I still have the retainer if I ever feel I need it again!

OP
allblues

allblues

Ah OK, my situation is a little bit different then, expanding palate wasn't part of treatment, rather the opposite.
Possibly i might get some growth outwards, i'm hoping, if i get the wire taken out.

In your case, the retainer is used to prevent any possible inward movement?

Regardless, what you're saying makes me less worried about getting rid of it :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ah OK, my situation is a little bit different then, expanding palate wasn't part of treatment, rather the opposite.
Possibly i might get some growth outwards, i'm hoping, if i get the wire taken out.

In your case, the retainer is used to prevent any possible inward movement?

Regardless, what you're saying makes me less worried about getting rid of it :)
Yes, to prevent inward movement for me but everything stopped moving after about a year of discovering Peat.
I suspect the diet and lifestyle changes allowed things to settle at an optimum point. Bones probably becoming stronger had something to do with it too.

LUH 3417

does anyone have any updates on this? there are a few sites on the internet about reverse orthodontics but i really don't want to deal with an orthodontist so i'm wondering if upping nutrition will reverse some of the damage done by braces when i was a teen. there are appliances like homeoblock but the feedback is very extreme in both directions - either it does nothing or it is a miracle appliance.

i had very mild crowding but the ortho performed 4 extractions and did tremendous narrowing of my palate with braces in order to close those spaces made by pulling out my teeth.

i've been taking haidut's k2 and notice the shadows between my jaw and cheekbone are getting deeper but i have asymmetry and and crooked cross bite as well as small lower jaw. my mouth just never sits right and feels awkward. i actually took off my braces myself when i was 13 using tweezers because i hated my orthodontist so much and probably understood the damage he was doing to my face on some level even though i could not put it into words or think rationally about it at the time.

Marg

Orthodonist said that they recommend 10 years of wearing the wire, to make sure the teeth
don't revert to a bad situation.

Yikes, that sure is a long time.

FWIW, I have a family member who is using Invisalign, the clear plastic like material, and you can barely notice it when she smiles.

Have you looked into that as a possibility?

encerent

I've had orthodontic treatment from age 13-16, upper teeth row only.
Since taking the braces out 8 years ago i've had a steel wire behind my teeth which still sits there.

I'm seriously considering getting this thing taken out.
With better nutrition, and plenty of K2, my bones/dental health seem to have gotten much better,
and my lower jaw has expanded somewhat.

But that steel wire behind my upper row sits there and it feels like it's preventing any structural progression
and movement in that part of the face that otherwise could be occurring.

My face is in general kind of flat and lacking any sort of cheekbone action, which kinda sucks.
I'm guessing that is in part the fault of the braces, pulling my maxilla backwards, narrowing the face.

don't revert to a bad situation. I'm guessing the whole thing of teeth moving backwards is
another story for the general hypothyroid public on a bad diet, than it might be for someone
taking K2, DHEA, pregnenolone, aspirin on a regular basis, with a decent diet.

Should i get it removed? Would you have? Have you already, maybe?
It would be bad if i took it out, only to have my face stay just as thin but now also with gnarly teeth.
Any comments, knowledge is much appreciated.

Mike Mew has said that kind of retainer wouldn't affect much. At this age, although you can still improve, it'll be hard, even if you have perfect tongue posture.

After the expander I had a removable one which even when I got to teenage they wanted me to keep doing. I just stopped when it broke. Yes you lose gains but not that much. Couple years ago I asked them about finishing the job for good (still a bit cramped) and they said before even considering invisalign I'd have to do a period with the wire braces. LOL screw that

Djukami

does anyone have any updates on this? there are a few sites on the internet about reverse orthodontics but i really don't want to deal with an orthodontist so i'm wondering if upping nutrition will reverse some of the damage done by braces when i was a teen. there are appliances like homeoblock but the feedback is very extreme in both directions - either it does nothing or it is a miracle appliance.

i had very mild crowding but the ortho performed 4 extractions and did tremendous narrowing of my palate with braces in order to close those spaces made by pulling out my teeth.

i've been taking haidut's k2 and notice the shadows between my jaw and cheekbone are getting deeper but i have asymmetry and and crooked cross bite as well as small lower jaw. my mouth just never sits right and feels awkward. i actually took off my braces myself when i was 13 using tweezers because i hated my orthodontist so much and probably understood the damage he was doing to my face on some level even though i could not put it into words or think rationally about it at the time.
Man, I was reading your post and it seemed that you heard and wrote my thoughts on the other day.
I also had to remove 2 (healthy!) teeth because of orthodontics... Fml. When I tried K2, I noticed that my body was creating some space in between my teeth. I am like "iofjadsipoafgjesioghbjgr! I will never be able to get those 2 teeth back..."
If I knew the power of the body to heal back then... Seriously, why don't dentist know about this?! Or why not just talk about diets instead?

Mauritio

I'm concerned about metal intoxication from my retainer.
Does anyone know if that's reasonable or what kind of metal this thing is made of ?

LuMonty

I'm concerned about metal intoxication from my retainer.
Does anyone know if that's reasonable or what kind of metal this thing is made of ?
Mine is stainless steel. According to the quote by Peat, nonmagnetic stainless is high in nickel which is allergenic and carcinogenic. I've never set off a metal detector so I'd guess I have the nickel kind. I've read that more recently other alloys have been used for permanent retainers but the quality of information is low.

Mauritio

Mine is stainless steel. According to the quote by Peat, nonmagnetic stainless is high in nickel which is allergenic and carcinogenic. I've never set off a metal detector so I'd guess I have the nickel kind. I've read that more recently other alloys have been used for permanent retainers but the quality of information is low.

Thank you very much!
I sometimes have a metallic taste in my mouth especially in the morning but I don't know where it comes from . Maybe it's the retainer ...
Did you get yours removed or do you think it might be a good idea to do so ?

LuMonty

Thank you very much!
I sometimes have a metallic taste in my mouth especially in the morning but I don't know where it comes from . Maybe it's the retainer ...
Did you get yours removed or do you think it might be a good idea to do so ?
I'm going to try to get mine removed ASAP. I always seem to have minor anaphylaxis, if there is such a thing, and my mom is very allergic to nickel/stainless. I'm wagering that for me, my throat closing and "sleep apnea" is probably due to the retainer because the throat closing goes away when I have copper.

Mauritio

I'm going to try to get mine removed ASAP. I always seem to have minor anaphylaxis, if there is such a thing, and my mom is very allergic to nickel/stainless. I'm wagering that for me, my throat closing and "sleep apnea" is probably due to the retainer because the throat closing goes away when I have copper.

Interesting it's a good choice to get them removed there's much more to benefit from removing them than keeping them I gues..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals