Quiting Coffee - Decreased Appetite / Mobilizing FFA / Urinary Catecholamine Excretion

Jessie

Caffeine will increase glucose oxidation, which means you'll use glycogen much faster. If you run out, it'll start liberating FFAs. I've always found caffeine to be a very powerful metabolic stimulant. So I think it should be used by itself. When you start combining various substances (coffee, thyroid, niacinamide, etc.) it will very quickly drain your glucose storages and elicit a stress response. And considering many people, if not most people, have problems storing glycogen anyways, this can quickly become an issue.

OP
J

james2388

Caffeine will increase glucose oxidation, which means you'll use glycogen much faster. If you run out, it'll start liberating FFAs. I've always found caffeine to be a very powerful metabolic stimulant. So I think it should be used by itself. When you start combining various substances (coffee, thyroid, niacinamide, etc.) it will very quickly drain your glucose storages and elicit a stress response. And considering many people, if not most people, have problems storing glycogen anyways, this can quickly become an issue.

The body does not run out of glucose that fast... and I take plenty of sugar with my coffee too.
I've found it to be the exact opposite metabolically suppressing. There is a reason why bulletproof coffee, and in general even with no butter, variants of the Intermittent Fasting crowd relied on caffeine for fasting. So many studies on appetite suppression. Sure you can have a boost of energy for an hour or so, but appetite will be gone for hours. Not only that this study shows urinary loss of catecholamines. Effecting digestion as well. Tons of free fatty acids will be mobilized. There is always fat and glucose burning at the same time.

Jessie

It does when you aren't storing glucose well. And most people I see here have problems with glycogen storage because of liver issues. Coffee should not be stressing you out, so this is a telltale sign that the subject isn't using glucose properly.

OP
J

james2388

It does when you aren't storing glucose well. And most people I see here have problems with glycogen storage because of liver issues. Coffee should not be stressing you out, so this is a tell tell sign that the subject isn't using glucose properly.

It's not stress what so ever. As I said I use tons of sugar, and of course snacking on fruit when I can. It's appetite suppression and lethargy. If I was feeling stressed out I would eat lol trust me. And more sugar doesn't bring me back up to speed. that's why i think it just crushes metabolism by flooding the body with free fatty acids, and excreting valuable catecholamines that assist in metabolism. There are various genes associated with caffeine metabolism fast and slow metabolisms. I keep turning back to it, because milk tastes even better when it has coffee and sugar in it. It's a nice thing to sip on. But it eventually just kills my appetite with a small energy boost in the beginning. I think it may be too dehydrating, no one here mentions the diuretic effects.

Jessie

I meant physiological stress, not mental stress.

And more sugar doesn't bring me back up to speed. that's why i think it just crushes metabolism by flooding the body with free fatty acids, and excreting valuable catecholamines that assist in metabolism.

Here you are describing yourself entering the "stress metabolism" after you drink coffee. This does not happen to someone using glucose efficiently when they consume coffee. In fact, coffee can actually make people sleepy when their glycogen is full. Restocking glycogen is not as simple as "eating more sugar" for many people. It's that simple for healthy people, but not hypo people.

OP
J

james2388

yes, stress metabolism is caused by the liberation of free fatty acids. It's not about storing sugar its about the the liberation of free fatty acids getting in the way of glycolysis and promoting lipolysis - which hinders appetite, energy, etc. "Caffeine has been known to stimulate lipolysis that spares stored glycogen utilization during moderate intensity exercise"

Jessie

Your liver will continue to use glycogen for energy until it becomes low. It's not until you run out of glycogen that you go into a state of "excessive" fat oxdiation. Caffeine stimulating lypolisis during exercise doesn't necessarily change anything. Additionally, does it specify if it's sparing liver glycogen or muscle glycogen. If it dosen't specify liver, then we must assume it meant muscle glycogen, which is common to refer to when discussing exercise.

redsun

It's not stress what so ever. As I said I use tons of sugar, and of course snacking on fruit when I can. It's appetite suppression and lethargy. If I was feeling stressed out I would eat lol trust me. And more sugar doesn't bring me back up to speed. that's why i think it just crushes metabolism by flooding the body with free fatty acids, and excreting valuable catecholamines that assist in metabolism. There are various genes associated with caffeine metabolism fast and slow metabolisms. I keep turning back to it, because milk tastes even better when it has coffee and sugar in it. It's a nice thing to sip on. But it eventually just kills my appetite with a small energy boost in the beginning. I think it may be too dehydrating, no one here mentions the diuretic effects.

There are increases in urinary catecholamines because they are being released due to the stimulant effects of caffeine. They aren't just excreting for no reason at all.

If you have problems maintaining normal weight, don't take appetite suppressants like caffeine. Its not a bad thing to have a loss of appetite, depends on the person's needs. Its the release of certain neurotransmitters by caffeine which play a major role in appetite suppression.

Last edited: