Quit Vitamin E Cold Turkey?

kaydeegee

Hi all!

24/F.

I've been taking mixed tocopherol Vitamin E for 2-3 weeks. 400IU daily. (This brand.) I've noticed some positive impacts (extended luteal phase, yeehaw!) but also, I've noticed an increased frequency of bruising, and that bruises take longer to heal. I want to reduce my intake to ensure I'm not thinning my blood. Can I just... stop? Or are there risks to stopping cold turkey after 2-3 weeks of use?

I'm concerned about a potential bounce-back impact of stopping, like an increased risk of clotting. But if Vitamin E is fat-soluble, perhaps my system will simply lean into what's stored until the excess is cleared out?

Thank you in advance!

miquelangeles

I wouldn't worry about stopping cold turkey with fat solubles, also the tocopherols have a relatively long half life.
Or see if you can get the same benefits from 50 mg daily, that's a conservative dose Ray Peat recommended in a recent podcast.
Have you tried vitamin K? Deficiency can cause a person to bruise easily.

OP
K

kaydeegee

I wouldn't worry about stopping cold turkey with fat solubles, also the tocopherols have a relatively long half life.
Or see if you can get the same benefits from 50 mg daily, that's a conservative dose Ray Peat recommended in a recent podcast.
Have you tried vitamin K? Deficiency can cause a person to bruise easily.

Thanks for this, @miquelangeles ! Maybe I'll try taking 400IU once per week or something like that, instead of daily. I haven't taken K, but I'm conscious about having liver 1-2 times per week, and fermented foods once in a while as well! If I don't notice an improvement after scaling back on E, I'll look into it :)

miquelangeles

Thanks for this, @miquelangeles ! Maybe I'll try taking 400IU once per week or something like that, instead of daily. I haven't taken K, but I'm conscious about having liver 1-2 times per week, and fermented foods once in a while as well! If I don't notice an improvement after scaling back on E, I'll look into it :)
Yes, once a week is how a lot of people here take it.
100 grams of liver has only about 10 micrograms of K2, that's a small amount unlikely to be therapeutical.

Also, take a look at this study: Effect of vitamin E supplementation on vitamin K status in adults with normal coagulation status

Effect of vitamin E supplementation on vitamin K status in adults with normal coagulation status
Conclusions: High-dose vitamin E supplementation increased PIVKA-II in adults not receiving oral anticoagulant therapy. The clinical significance of these changes warrants further investigation, but high doses of vitamin E may antagonize vitamin K. Whether such an interaction is potentially beneficial or harmful remains to be determined.

OP
K

kaydeegee

Yes, once a week is how a lot of people here take it.
100 grams of liver has only about 10 micrograms of K2, that's a small amount unlikely to be therapeutical.

Also, take a look at this study: Effect of vitamin E supplementation on vitamin K status in adults with normal coagulation status

Effect of vitamin E supplementation on vitamin K status in adults with normal coagulation status

Amazing. I didn't realize the amount in liver would be so minimal! I will explore K supplementation more, thank you. Am I right in thinking MK-7 is the best version?

miquelangeles

Amazing. I didn't realize the amount in liver would be so minimal! I will explore K supplementation more, thank you. Am I right in thinking MK-7 is the best version?
Both MK-7 and MK-4 are fine, but MK-4 is preferred because it has some additional benefits. Do a quick search on the forum you'll find many threads discussing differences, dosage etc.

OP
K

kaydeegee

Both MK-7 and MK-4 are fine, but MK-4 is preferred because it has some additional benefits. Do a quick search on the forum you'll find many threads discussing differences, dosage etc.
Beauty. Thanks so much for your insight @miquelangeles -- I'm feeling much more confident now! Take care.