Quinine

Waynish

What is the cheapest, purest source of quinine you've found online? Not tonic water - I'm looking for the pure stuff unrefined/refined on its own.
Thanks.

Phaedrus

Cinchona bark contains about 5% quinine from my understanding.

I have a bag of cinchona bark that I bought as a bitter agent to make my own DIY amaro (a bitter Italian liquor). Just for kicks I also tried making a strong tea by boiling some of the bark and then reducing it until it was very concentrated. It was quite bitter and dark in color. I had some tonic syrup in the fridge that I found to not have enough of that quinine flavor I like, so I added the concentrated cinchona. My gin and tonics are now pink and pack more of an astringent punch!

AdoTintor

Haidut's product is going to be pure so if you want to see the effect of quinine without all the other stuff that comes with cinchona bark then this would be good. However, if you are trying to get covid (or shedding) fighting levels of quinine then haiduts is not concentrated enough and you need to go the cinchona route or try a HCQ 200mg tablet. Haidut has 4mg on quinine in each drop. Whereas it is calculated that 2g of cinchona tea will result in about 100mg dose of quinine depending on quality. There are calculations here on how to match the amount of quinine from the HCQ covid protocol using cinchona bark tea.

OP
W

Waynish

Haidut's product is going to be pure so if you want to see the effect of quinine without all the other stuff that comes with cinchona bark then this would be good. However, if you are trying to get covid (or shedding) fighting levels of quinine then haiduts is not concentrated enough and you need to go the cinchona route or try a HCQ 200mg tablet. Haidut has 4mg on quinine in each drop. Whereas it is calculated that 2g of cinchona tea will result in about 100mg dose of quinine depending on quality. There are calculations here on how to match the amount of quinine from the HCQ covid protocol using cinchona bark tea.
Then something else must be getting concentrated by Haidut's labs... Or their concentration claims you listed are bogus... Because a few drops of haidut's quinine is as strong as a few drops of most things get...

sunny

Anyone have updated experience on the bark or another source. Could the bark be soaked in vodka or similar to produce a tincture?

Inaut

kinda funny. today i was speaking with my father and he mentioned that his parents used to give him quinine as a child. he said he would put a scoop of power in his mouth and then drink a glass of water. He remembers it being very effective. I'm assuming they were giving him powdered bark as he grew up in a rural village in greece.

sunny

kinda funny. today i was speaking with my father and he mentioned that his parents used to give him quinine as a child. he said he would put a scoop of power in his mouth and then drink a glass of water. He remembers it being very effective. I'm assuming they were giving him powdered bark as he grew up in a rural village in greece.
That's interesting. Was that during sickness, or just randomly?