Risingfire

Last night my rat was able to work out harder than normal. Could be a coincidence but will continue to monitor. Cardio was definitely up

tastyfood

With some brands of tonic water like Schweppes having 67 mg of quinine per liter, what would be the advantage of taking this product? Is this a way to go for much larger amounts of quinine without having to ingest copious amounts of liquid?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
With some brands of tonic water like Schweppes having 67 mg of quinine per liter, what would be the advantage of taking this product? Is this a way to go for much larger amounts of quinine without having to ingest copious amounts of liquid?

What is the price of that liter bottle of tonic water? In the US, it is $1-$2 per bottle. That means to get the equivalent amount of quinine compared to our product (assuming 67mg per liter), you'd have to get 44 bottles, which would cost $44-$88.

tastyfood

What is the price of that liter bottle of tonic water? In the US, it is $1-$2 per bottle. That means to get the equivalent amount of quinine compared to our product (assuming 67mg per liter), you'd have to get 44 bottles, which would cost $44-$88.

Noted. So price efficiency would be one of the benefits.

What's still not clear from reading the thread is if one would need much more quinine than what a bottle of tonic water already has to see benefits. If 67mg per day are enough, wouldn't it be preferred to consume the quinine from natural sources?

Mito

wouldn't it be preferred to consume the quinine from natural sources?
Have you found a tonic water without manufactured citric acid?

tastyfood

Definitely not. Even Fever Tree which is probably the most premium brand has it.

golder

In the UK yes, a brand called KOFI TI:

Amazon product ASIN B07ZKWMF3YView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZKWMF3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZKZ59YDN65HH9ZZ6WHXC

Soren

Forum Supporter
Any thoughts on how this would be in blocking serotonin compared to other serotonin antagonists such as Cyproheptadine and 10-Methox-Harmalyn?

Seems like it has a slightly different method of action to Cypro and 10-Met-Har and that it might even be better than either.

Last edited:

Soren

Forum Supporter
Very good stuff! I've been reading as much as I can about quinine recently, and I think it definitely has a place in therapy. It has traditionally been used to reduce hyperthyroid symptoms, and I can vouch for it's effectiveness in this regard. Also tends to be somewhat calming. I'd like to request any other white paper type articles you have on it, I was left a little lacking in mechanism of action and other information after my searches. Here is some info that I came across - what's the bigger picture?

The development of aversive responses to quinine in hyperthyroid rats.

Quinine for nocturnal leg cramps: a meta-analysis including unpublished data.

Quinine-induced thrombocytopenia in a 64-year-old man who consumed tonic water to relieve nocturnal leg cramps. - this one doesn't even have an abstract but the appearance of thrombocytopenia definitely points to 5-HT2a activity

What do you think of this Haidut with regards to the last study? The link does not lead to anywhere but I found another link to it here DEFINE_ME

The patient also had a colonic tumor so it could be the case that this was the cause of the internal bleeding and not the Quinine from the tonic water. It says he was drinking 1.9 liters of tonic water daily for 2-3 weeks don't know how much Quinine this would be equivalent too as it does not specify the amount of quinine in said tonic water.

Mito

• All Natural Ingredients - Kofi Ti is focused to offer you the least processed tonic syrup by using only natural ingredients, like pure natural Cinchona (quinine tree) bark, raw cane sugar, and citric acid, that offers a unique taste and the specific rusty colour. Assuring a tasty and natural flavoured tonic water.

golder

• All Natural Ingredients - Kofi Ti is focused to offer you the least processed tonic syrup by using only natural ingredients, like pure natural Cinchona (quinine tree) bark, raw cane sugar, and citric acid, that offers a unique taste and the specific rusty colour. Assuring a tasty and natural flavoured tonic water.
Shame, I thought they had no added preservatives.

Karmeleon

maybe also of interest:

QUININE THERAPY IN CASES OF MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS OVER A FIVE YEAR PERIOD June 1935​

Is multiple sclerosis caused by a silent infection with malarial parasites? A historico-epidemiological approach: part II​

The comparison between the old map of malaria and the later distribution of multiple sclerosis (MS) first carried out in the USA (Part I) is continued in Europe. The Italian 'dilemma' (Kurtzke), meaning the disappearance of the north-south gradient in Italy by recent surveys, can be solved when considering the dependence of malaria transmission in relation to the altitude. Further, the high prevalence of MS in earlier times in Mississippi, Louisiana and in the former province of Lucania in Italy can be explained by preceding epidemics of malaria. Brickner's therapeutic trial with quinine in cases of MS patients is reevaluated, and by this the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction is shown to exist in MS too. The possible significance of the old and rather forgotten provocative methods for the diagnosis of latent malaria is discussed.

Last edited: