Pointless

Just wanted to report an interesting effect. I have Crohn's disease, and it's been confirmed with a recent colonoscopy that I have some minor ulcers in the ileocecal region, where I had a surgery a number of years ago. I have taken 5 drops of quinine topically a few times, and I have a soreness around the area of my surgery. My bowel movements are regular, perhaps a bit more than usual. I think this is having a positive effect on autoimmunity, but I'll continue testing.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Just wanted to report an interesting effect. I have Crohn's disease, and it's been confirmed with a recent colonoscopy that I have some minor ulcers in the ileocecal region, where I had a surgery a number of years ago. I have taken 5 drops of quinine topically a few times, and I have a soreness around the area of my surgery. My bowel movements are regular, perhaps a bit more than usual. I think this is having a positive effect on autoimmunity, but I'll continue testing.
Very interesting. Why do you take it topically instead of orally?

Is there any consensus on the preferred route?

golder

Cheers - and what is the dosage in mg of Quinine HCL per drop of the product? I can't see it in the original post or anywhere in the thread.
4mg I think. Speaking of which, is there any relevance to this dosage per drop, or was it just mathematically convenient?

Pete Rey

Gotta say 5 drops in a can of plain fizzy water is pretty great. I am prone to gut issues, and this at the very least doesn't cause any. Not sure if I am getting any medicinal benefit either, but it makes for a nice refreshing summer drink.

Waynish

Any information on purity and type? This is purified from tree bark or synthetic?
Thanks!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any information on purity and type? This is purified from tree bark or synthetic?
Thanks!

Almost all quinine sold commercially, including the purified versions such as the Hcl and sulfate salts, are originally extracted from bark as the so-called "total synthesis" routes for quinine published/discovered so far are not economically feasible, and thus extracting/purifying from the bark is the main method for obtaining bulk quinine.

hgun48

Seemed to get way more of an effect from 1 drop of idealabs quinine than I do from a can or two of spectacular tonic water. I can't seem to find the amount in one can but I emailed them to find out. I think as usual with idealabs products comparing it to a more corporate "equivalent or greater dose" is flawed.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Seemed to get way more of an effect from 1 drop of idealabs quinine than I do from a can or two of spectacular tonic water. I can't seem to find the amount in one can but I emailed them to find out. I think as usual with idealabs products comparing it to a more corporate "equivalent or greater dose" is flawed.

Most tonic waters on the market in Western countries contain 80mg-100mg quinine per liter of liquid. So, if a can is roughly 1/4 of a liter then one should be getting 20mg-25mg per can.

TheFatKid

Most tonic waters on the market in Western countries contain 80mg-100mg quinine per liter of liquid. So, if a can is roughly 1/4 of a liter then one should be getting 20mg-25mg per can.

The tonic waters I've seen on the market use tonic aroma. Do those ones contain quinine as well?

MountainMouse

I was struggling with really bad cfs and inflammation for months post shingles virus. Quinine got me functioning again, still tired but significantly better and inflammation I had for years seems way better also. Mixing with soda water was the best way to drink it.

sunny

I've asked Ray about this. He advises caution and *very* small amounts (about 2mg at a time), see below.

Our conversation was about Quinine HCL specifically (I think other forms like quinine sulfate are taken in larger amounts):

Me - "Hi Ray,

Do you think pure Quinine HCL is safe in very small doses?

I managed to get my hands on some pharma grade Quinine HCL (99.8% pure, according to the CoA)...."

RP - "I think it should be used in extremely small amounts, as.a digestive stimulant."

Me - "Thanks Ray. How small is extremely small? 1mg?

There's apparently up to 80mg approx in a litre of tonic water as an upper limit. So that would be 10mg per glass, at the most.

I found a study that demonstrated problems with quinine hcl at more than 160mg per day."

RP - "I think tonic water should be used only in small amounts, about an ounce at a time, unless it’s for treating a viral infection."

Me - "That's helpful to know, thanks Ray - that would work out to about 2 - 2.5mg of Quinine HCL if one used the established limit of 80mg/L for tonic water.

I've noticed in the past that even a single glass of tonic water (store bought) has caused sleep issues, even though quinine is touted to improve sleep.

What would you say are the dangers of going beyond those very small amounts?"

RP - "People vary in their sensitivity, Rhabdomyolysis and other bleeding disorders are risks."
Putting a drop in soda water and drinking some as a digestive stimulant...... I will try this when available.
I am always trying to encourage my digestive motility function, it is tiresome.
I DO NOT have gas, bloating, reflux, burping, undigested food in stool, diarrhea, etc.

Pointless

I have Crohn's disease and I'm always on the lookout for new Peaty supplements that will hold promise for dealing with autoimmune disease or gut health. When I saw the research on quinine and the innate immune system and how Covid-19 vaccines and virus have caused flare-ups in my fellow Crohnies, I knew this was a must try. On the other hand, I've tried a lot of things, and Ray Peat kind of poured cold water over this product, so I wasn't very excited to try it.

After trying it on and off, 1-5 drops 1-3 times a day, I've noticed something quite special. Like many Peatarians, I suffer from thyroid hormone resistance. The first day I take T3 is magical, but then it ceases to budge my resting metabolic rate. I wake up with a temp in the 96 degrees Fahrenheit and peak with a temp of 98.1 F on a good, warm day.

I've noticed that with taking quinine, thyroid suddenly raises my temperature, sometimes by up to 1 degree F. Sometimes when I get home from a long day of work, my temperature might be suppressed to around 97 F, but I've been trying to substitute Tyromix 2 drops instead of my usual 1 pill of Cynomel (25 mcg T3).

Some things I've noticed with quinine:
+Observable temperature increases over short periods of time like a few hours
+Needing to turn down the temperature on my thermostat
+Feeling of warmth throughout my body, including extremities
+I work in a cold environment, and I don't feel uncomfortable
+Waking up in the middle of the night and falling asleep again after consuming sugar
+Increased need for B2 and B6 to deal with dandruff and depressed mood

Nothing has ever had any effect on my thyroid resistance, ever. I think this one is worth a closer look. Effects seem to be enduring quite a while, but I'm still testing to see if there will be an eventual compensation.

I have Crohn's disease and I'm always on the lookout for new Peaty supplements that will hold promise for dealing with autoimmune disease or gut health. When I saw the research on quinine and the innate immune system and how Covid-19 vaccines and virus have caused flare-ups in my fellow Crohnies, I knew this was a must try. On the other hand, I've tried a lot of things, and Ray Peat kind of poured cold water over this product, so I wasn't very excited to try it.

After trying it on and off, 1-5 drops 1-3 times a day, I've noticed something quite special. Like many Peatarians, I suffer from thyroid hormone resistance. The first day I take T3 is magical, but then it ceases to budge my resting metabolic rate. I wake up with a temp in the 96 degrees Fahrenheit and peak with a temp of 98.1 F on a good, warm day.

I've noticed that with taking quinine, thyroid suddenly raises my temperature, sometimes by up to 1 degree F. Sometimes when I get home from a long day of work, my temperature might be suppressed to around 97 F, but I've been trying to substitute Tyromix 2 drops instead of my usual 1 pill of Cynomel (25 mcg T3).

Some things I've noticed with quinine:
+Observable temperature increases over short periods of time like a few hours
+Needing to turn down the temperature on my thermostat
+Feeling of warmth throughout my body, including extremities
+I work in a cold environment, and I don't feel uncomfortable
+Waking up in the middle of the night and falling asleep again after consuming sugar
+Increased need for B2 and B6 to deal with dandruff and depressed mood

Nothing has ever had any effect on my thyroid resistance, ever. I think this one is worth a closer look. Effects seem to be enduring quite a while, but I'm still testing to see if there will be an eventual compensation.
When you say thyroid resistance - Do you mean the supplemental thyroid you are consuming or some genetic predisposition which makes you resistant to the thyroid your body also makes?