Quinine Diarrhea?

Katty

Can never get enough diarrhea threads in my opinion, so here is yet another.

Had random diarrhea the last 3 days or so. My BMs had been pretty good before that for a couple weeks. I started cyproheptadine again about 5 days ago- I take about 1 mg (was taking at night, last 3 days switched to morning). I don't think it caused diarrhea for me in the past and if anything, it should cause the opposite.

The only other new thing I've introduced is tonic water with quinine. I only had a very small amount. Like 1-2 ounces the first day of diarrhea and 1-3 ounces the second day. A quick Google search shows that diarrhea can be a side effect of quinine. Anyone know why?

The tonic water I'm using also has citric acid... So I guess that's a possible culprit too. I can't find tonic water without it. I'm having trouble believing that the small amount of citric acid in 1-3 ounces of tonic water is causing this much of a problem, but perhaps.

So anyone know about quinine and diarrhea?

keith

Can never get enough diarrhea threads in my opinion, so here is yet another.

Had random diarrhea the last 3 days or so. My BMs had been pretty good before that for a couple weeks. I started cyproheptadine again about 5 days ago- I take about 1 mg (was taking at night, last 3 days switched to morning). I don't think it caused diarrhea for me in the past and if anything, it should cause the opposite.

The only other new thing I've introduced is tonic water with quinine. I only had a very small amount. Like 1-2 ounces the first day of diarrhea and 1-3 ounces the second day. A quick Google search shows that diarrhea can be a side effect of quinine. Anyone know why?

The tonic water I'm using also has citric acid... So I guess that's a possible culprit too. I can't find tonic water without it. I'm having trouble believing that the small amount of citric acid in 1-3 ounces of tonic water is causing this much of a problem, but perhaps.

So anyone know about quinine and diarrhea?

I don't think there is all that much quinine in 1-3 oz of commercial tonic water either. Maybe you are just sensitive to it. I know Haidut posted about quinine being a serotonin antagonist, if memory serves, but I still wouldn't think there would be an effect from that small an amount. Perhaps a synergism with the cyproheptadine? I would have expected the opposite effect then, though. You could try it without the cyproheptadine and see if you still have the same effect.

OP
K

Katty

Thanks for your response, Keith. I saw that thread. And as a serotonin antagonist, it should have the opposite effect.
As you said, maybe I'm just sensitive to it for some reason. Not having a specific reason feels frustrating.

keith

Thanks for your response, Keith. I saw that thread. And as a serotonin antagonist, it should have the opposite effect.
As you said, maybe I'm just sensitive to it for some reason. Not having a specific reason feels frustrating.
Do you drink other soda? That's my only other thought. Tonic water is usually very carbonated. Maybe that is not sitting well for you.

OP
K

Katty

Do you drink other soda? That's my only other thought. Tonic water is usually very carbonated. Maybe that is not sitting well for you.

I do drink other soda- Mexican coke, carbonated water, etc. I don't think it's the carbonation in this instance. But thanks for the thought.

I would pin it down to citric acid. I know I have a terrible reaction to even small amounts (2 pepsi's can do me in). Trader Joes (if you're in US) supposedly sells some with sugar and no citric acid. I think I also saw some at Whole foods that looked good but it was pretty expensive :greedy:.

Yeah, I drink other sodas. I'm able to find ones, like Mexican coke, that don't have any in it. I also drink beverages that do have it in it and I've never noticed the strong diarrhea reaction before. Perhaps there was just a concentrated amount in the brand of tonic water I bought. The diarrhea is getting a little better, but not back to normal yet, so perhaps there is something else going on besides the citric acid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals