Quick Question: Why Does Ray Peat Suggest White Rice Over Brown?

jzeno

I'm not sure what the distinguishing difference is.

Thank you

Waremu

Because white rice is probably one of the easiest to digest starches. Most of the fibers (which can irritate the gut) and most of the rancid polyunsaturated oils which are found in the bran and germ (the outer layers) are for the most part removed during the processing to white rice. Some valuable nutrients are lost as well, unfortunately, but nothing one can't get from fruits/meat/dairy.

Cameron

Brown rice contains phytic acid Wich blocks nutrient absorption white rice is a pure source of energy much easier to digest without phytic acid and it's 5ar inhibiting bran layer

Birdie

Yes.

And I’ve read that California grown rice, white, has less arsenic than that grown in the Midwest. This is for the US of course. I don’t know the parameters in other places. If anybody has read otherwise, I’d be interested.

AlphaCog

The new health food "Embryo Rice" removes the bran but keeps the embryo(source of thiamine etc.)

embryo rice.jpg

ANDREW CHIN

Yes.

And I’ve read that California grown rice, white, has less arsenic than that grown in the Midwest. This is for the US of course. I don’t know the parameters in other places. If anybody has read otherwise, I’d be interested.

I've read rice from Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana are the worst. Sushi rice has less arsenic, as does rice from India and Pakistan. I've also read that Bhutanese red rice is also a good choice.

Birdie

I've read rice from Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana are the worst. Sushi rice has less arsenic, as does rice from India and Pakistan. I've also read that Bhutanese red rice is also a good choice.
Thanks for this info. And I use sushi rice from California. Lundberg I think.
Brown rice contains phytic acid Wich blocks nutrient absorption white rice is a pure source of energy much easier to digest without phytic acid and it's 5ar inhibiting bran layer
Yes, that’s a reminder I needed. The phytic acid is something to pay attention to. Often ignored by the brown rice crowd.

And I think it’s the outer layer that has the greater concentration of arsenic too.

ANDREW CHIN

Thanks for this info. And I use sushi rice from California. Lundberg I think.

Yes, that’s a reminder I needed. The phytic acid is something to pay attention to. Often ignored by the brown rice crowd.

And I think it’s the outer layer that has the greater concentration of arsenic too.

I can post links now - not on probation anymore. Add Missouri to the list of states with high levels of arsenic in rice.

Basmati rice from CA seems to be another relatively safe choice.

Rice found with dangerously high arsenic levels
Toxic, cancer-causing arsenic found in rice products -- even organic rice milk
Unsafe arsenic levels in rice and poultry - How to avoid it

Last edited:

Aymen

I can post links now - not on probation anymore. Add Missouri to the list of states with high levels of arsenic in rice.

Basmati rice from CA seems to be another relatively safe choice.

Rice found with dangerously high arsenic levels
Toxic, cancer-causing arsenic found in rice products -- even organic rice milk
Unsafe arsenic levels in rice and poultry - How to avoid it
This :
"Aromatic rice seem to be lower in general, such as Jasmine and Basmati. Imported Jasmine and Basmati rice are typically significant lower in arsenic than most US grown rice. Thailand rice is not only found to be low in arsenic in the latest testing, but last I heard they had banned genetically modified rice from their country, another important aspect to rice eating to consider."

Barry

I thought the arsenic in rice came from pesticides applied to cotton previously grown in the rice fields. Cotton requires more pesticide than other crops. So places that are not growing cotton would have less arsenic in the soil.

lvysaur

"Aromatic rice seem to be lower in general, such as Jasmine and Basmati. Imported Jasmine and Basmati rice are typically significant lower in arsenic than most US grown rice. Thailand rice is not only found to be low in arsenic in the latest testing

A lot of this likely has to do with the use of chicken manure as fertilizer. Chickens are fed Roxarsone, a pesticide that kills parasites, but also contains Arsenic. Much of this is eliminated in their feces.

This feces is then used to grow crops, and for crops that selectively uptake Arsenic, like Rice, this can mean high levels.

People in other countries eat far less meat, or have higher dietary standards (or both), so this doesn't occur there.

I thought the arsenic in rice came from pesticides applied to cotton previously grown in the rice fields. Cotton requires more pesticide than other crops. So places that are not growing cotton would have less arsenic in the soil.

A lot of this likely has to do with the use of chicken manure as fertilizer. Chickens are fed Roxarsone, a pesticide that kills parasites, but also contains Arsenic. Much of this is eliminated in their feces.

This feces is then used to grow crops, and for crops that selectively uptake Arsenic, like Rice, this can mean high levels.

People in other countries eat far less meat, or have higher dietary standards (or both), so this doesn't occur there.

Good info.